I'm SHOCKED

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

I'm SHOCKED

Postby Dogsled » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:06 pm

Ok, my rear shock air system was shot on my 97 SE, I was bottoming out so I just ripped all the compressor and extra wiring out. (I got enough electrical problems as it is). I rigged up a line to put air into the cylinder and tried to rig a small buffer tank in between to both hold air and take direct road blows but it leaked too much. Now i'm back to thedirect line to the shock and that's not working and i'm bottoming out again. The only advantage is I eliminated alot of wiring and the broken compressor cleaning things up alot.
Now I need an idea on what to do with this leaky shock.....do they make a solid one that doesn't take air? I never read about one or know the whole shock story. I ride one up but carry alot of gear at times. Any aftermarket ideas anyone knows of? A couple hundred bucks for a reliable stand alone shock system would work for me.

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: I'm SHOCKED

Postby trike lady » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Progressive suspension has standard shocks for the GL1500.
Model 412 Series HD
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:45 pm

Or rebuild yours. a Lot cheaper.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:03 am

trike lady wrote:Progressive suspension has standard shocks for the GL1500.
Model 412 Series HD

Thanks for the model trike lady; now this is to replace the air shock, right :?:

My shock is OK, I just cant make an airline that won't leak when I put air in it. There isn't much out there for 1/4" line. I could prolly make up something using plastic air line, it's just that oddball fitting that goes into the shock I can't find a replcement for. I only need it to hold about 10 lbs.

I'll look into the progressive though

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:07 pm

That's a pair of replacement standard shocks.
I have a 1993 GL1500A and when the air shock went bad I upgraded to the 416 air shocks from Progressive.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:56 pm

I bought a pair of Monroe air shocks for just over $100.A Honda dealership installed a set of gas shocks on my trike for $400. and welded the bottom mount on crooked, so it did not take long for the bottom of the shock to break off. I bought the Monroes, re- welded the bottom mounts and now I have the air shocks back for 1/4 the cost.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:53 am

I was looking to replace the air shock with a standard shock

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:45 pm

If you are looking for the non-adjustable kind you should be able to find them for about $20.00 ea. Otherwise the Progressives are a lot more because of able to adjust.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:03 pm

OK, after alot of research here's what I found. Look at a fische for a 97 interstate and go to the rear shock. (I was looking at Cyclemax's OEM fishe)
The interstate has a line comiming from the top of the air shock directly to a external air fill valve. That is what i'm trying to accomplish by eliminating my war torn, not working on board compressor. For some reason the air line marked 2, in a square is not available. i've tried to make a line up myself but have not been succesful, they all leak..... Or do they. I've read more into the service manual and I do have oil leaking out of the top air hole. Assumption, the shock needs rebuilt, oil shouldn't be on this side of piston.....

My initial fear of removing the non functionable compressor turned out to be wrong. Problem, blown seal.

I saw a triumph Sprint GT 2011 in Oakwood (near Cleveland) at Ohio motorcycle. They only cared about mileage and body condition. I ride my bike everyday and have close to 100,000 miles on it....it runs like a clock... to them....trade-in value is close to a couple thousand bucks...

I got tons of bucks tied into this bikes mechanicals but it doesn't matter. These guys are really straight shooters and didn't mind bs'ing back and forth about what makes a bike valuable.....to me/to them. I liked them and plan to ride up there Monday to look at this bike.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”