GL 1500 rear wheel differences

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
propasstoro
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500

GL 1500 rear wheel differences

Postby propasstoro » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Hello fella's
I have a 1992 GL1500 which I have owned for 5 years now, the previous owner left the bike in a damp concrete garage and when I bought it everything under the bike had rusted very badly so I set about it and replaced everything on the underside including swing arm centre stand all nuts and bolts with stainless and have bought the bike up to a really good standard. My problem is that the rear wheel was badly pitted, I took it off and sent it for polishing but the polisher says that the wheel is so bad that it has become porus and he was not able to polish it. So I bought another wheel from ebay however the drive system is different my old wheel has a 6 leg spider drive and the new one has a 5 leg spider drive. The splines etc all fit ok but there seems to be a gap between the bevel box and the wheel so I purchased a new dust cover (the large black one) which was slightly wider this closed the gap a lot but I am still not sure that the gap is correct? it looks wider than I think it should?
Has anyone ever fitted the later wheel to an earlier 1500 and why was there a difference?
My next plan is to look at a later wing and see what the gap is but I have not been able to find one yet as they are all probably wrapped up in their heated garages??? :
Any help you can give would be very much appreciated
Jon

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: GL 1500 rear wheel differences

Postby MikeB » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:09 am

Hi Jon. first, let me tell you that the 6 pin drive flange was used on the '88 and '89 GL1500's only. All years of the GL1500 after that had the 5 pin drive flange. How your '92 got a 6 pin drive flange and wheel is beyond me.

As to the gap between the final drive and the wheel, well I don't know that there is problem there. As long as the drive flange mates to the final drive fully, you should be good to go. I have a feeling that somehow the original owner had a final drive problem and he ended up replacing the final drive with one from an '88 or '89 and that is how you have the set up you had when you bought the motorcycle. I suggest that you check around and take a look at other GL1500's from '90 through '00 and see what the gap is. I have a feeling that you will find yours quite acceptable with the new plastic skirt installed on the final drive.

MikeB
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

propasstoro
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500

Postby propasstoro » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi MikeB,
Thanks for the reply I feel much better now, I took the bike for a run on Sunday just to check it rides correctly and measured the wheel to see if it all lines up etc and I have to say the drive was Sooo much smoother than the 6 spline unit? maybe that is why Honda changed the system?
I will get to look at another bike as soon as I can and maybe let you know if it looks the same, I am sure it will.
Thanks again for the help.
Jon :D

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:59 am

Welcome.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”