1988 1500 Trunk lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
flyer191

1988 1500 Trunk lights

Postby flyer191 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:19 am

Hi, I'm having a problem with my trunk lights, failed the last inspection. The back of the trunk has a strip of lights. The blinkers on the corners work fine but between them there are lights covered by red lens. There is an additional bulb in each of the blinker bulb access panels that are normally on when the key is on. These bulbs are also tied into the brakes and should flash when you touch the brakes. They are supposed to flash as a pair but one of them does not flash. A person behind the bike would think that I'm making a right hand turn. The lower brake light works fine. I swapped the bulds but the problem stays with the right hand bulb. Has anyone seen this problem? Are the lights required? Could I replace the lights with non-blinking lights?

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Re: 1988 1500 Trunk lights

Postby Kiwi2 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:28 pm

flyer191 wrote:Hi, I'm having a problem with my trunk lights, failed the last inspection. The back of the trunk has a strip of lights. The blinkers on the corners work fine but between them there are lights covered by red lens. There is an additional bulb in each of the blinker bulb access panels that are normally on when the key is on. These bulbs are also tied into the brakes and should flash when you touch the brakes. They are supposed to flash as a pair but one of them does not flash. A person behind the bike would think that I'm making a right hand turn. The lower brake light works fine. I swapped the bulbs but the problem stays with the right hand bulb. Has anyone seen this problem? Are the lights required? Could I replace the lights with non-blinking lights?

You have lost me with your description so I'm trying to work it out. Now I assume that the "blinkers" are the right and left turn indicators. The lights that are covered by the red lens, are they the lights at the rear of the trunk? Now as far as I know the bulbs in the indicators are linked up to the flasher relay for turning left and right. The bulbs that stay on at the rear are like the white running lights next to the indicators at the front of the bike and are not supposed to flash.

Now someone at some stage, I assume you have not had the bike from new, may have installed a flasher unit which is connected up to the rear brake wiring , which is easy enough to do, and this makes the red rear lights on the top trunk "wig wag" left and right so that the vehicle following knows you are slowing down or stopping.

What I think may have happened, but I could be wrong, is that the flasher unit has packed a sad and stopped working as it should do and now needs to be replaced with a new unit.

If you look at the underneath of the trunk there is a panel which is easily removed and you will or may see a flasher unit in there or it may be underneath the seat somewhere. You will find that whatever work you are doing on the Wing you will have to remove the seat at some stage, why I don't know but you do. so it is better to remove it before doing anything. :D

Hope this helps.

flyer191

Postby flyer191 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks Kiwi2, you nailed this one. The PO had put a 3 prong flasher unit under the trunk lower cover. I disconnected the unit and now I have the lights on the trunk lid all lit up without appearing to be making a right hand turn. The lower brake light and the turn signals still work as they should. I'll try to replace the flasher unit, it's never a bad thing to let the drivers behind you know your intentions, but now I can pass my inspection and go on the week long ride in Vermont.

Another win for Goldwingdocs.com!!!!

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm glad the problem was easy to find and fix.

Just think ....... in a country on the other side of the world and a day ahead we could fix the problem :lol:

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”