'88 GL1500, bogging & no power with air cleaner installed

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
ttiger
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

'88 GL1500, bogging & no power with air cleaner installed

Postby ttiger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:22 pm

I got the bike back together after picking up the last of the parts from Honda. I installed a new air filter and fuel filter. When I went to start the bike, it took forever to start, like it was not getting fuel. Once I got it running, it ran like crap unless I choked it.

I took the air filter back off and removed the lower air filter case to get to the carbs. I saw that the plunger attached to the choke lever was sticking so I cleaned it and it works fine. The slides go back and forth without any problem. I sprayed cleaner through all the openings, vents etc I could see without taking the carbs off.

I started the bike and it ran well. It idled smooth and did not hesitate when I twist the throttle. While it was running, I sprayed cleaner through all the orifices and it continued to run well.

I put the air cleaner back on and went to start it. Same thing! It took forever to start and ran like crap!

Could it be that it's running rich and without the air cleaner installed there's enough air to compensate? The bike was sitting for 3+ years and I know the gas is old, but it ran great without the air cleaner.

Should I take he carbs apart and make sure everything is clean and clear? I was trying to avoid that...but if I need to I will.

Thanks

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: '88 GL1500, bogging & no power with air cleaner installe

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:24 am

When you had the problem,was it just when the filter and top were installed or the whole assembly.?
I ask because there is a vacuum line near the right rear mount that got pinched on mine.
If it's only with the filter and top,leave the filter out and put the covers back on.Eliminate the filter as the cause.
Generally,When I "do this" it's bad....The problem is related to what I just did.
Re-assemble one piece at a time and start it at each step.Hopefully one of them will cause the problem.

dvk
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 aspencade

Postby dvk » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:39 pm

i dont know my freind but re read your post an i think you hit the nail on the head you got 3 year old gas in that thing spraying cleaner in it is fresh get rid of old gas drain your tank an bowls then refill with good gas and a can of seafoam would not hurt good luck let me know if this helped ride safe

ttiger

Postby ttiger » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:44 pm

I replaced the gas and sprayed throttle body cleaner in all the carb openings I could find. I had it suck some Seafoam through a vacuum line and let it sit for a while. Started it up and let the stuff blow through. Repeated the cleaning and ingestion as well as Seafoam in the tank.

Seems to run much better. It has a little off-idle hesitation, but I'm going to let this tank work through and see how she does. I may do the jet kit if the hesitation does not clear up. The kit is still available from Honda.

tandem54

Postby tandem54 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Have you checked ALL your vacuum lines, even when they look "OK" they can be soft and not working properly when vacuum is aplied!

I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”