1995 gl 1500 se fork seals and rear moaning

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
faithtalker1
Motorcycle: GL1500se

1995 gl 1500 se fork seals and rear moaning

Postby faithtalker1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Ok so I bought this 1995 GL 1500 se seemed really good shape with 32,000 mi. barely hurt, but I think ready for some maintenance. I can here a steady moaning sound coming from the rear as I am cruising or may even call it a honing or humming. And when I apply the rear brake there is some shuttering in the front and maybe a little in the rear. Now when i first got it I had it checked over and have only put 3,500 or so mi on it. But I had a new rear and front tire installed and was told brakes were good and rotors and or drums were good. Could this shuttering be the front fork seals and if so how much does something like that cost. And the rear moaning a drive oil issue? And if you can cost of brakes ect... as well. I would appreciate all the input I could get. And one more thing, Besides ebay and craigslist, does anyone know of a really good outlet to sell a motorcycle? I have a 2005 1300 vtx retro with vance and hines pipes with a little over 12,000 miles in absolutely mint condition. Has sissy bar, cobra light bar, windshield, saddle bags and a hyper charger.

Mariocupet
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: 1995 gl 1500 se fork seals and rear moaning

Postby Mariocupet » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:16 am

I would definitely change the final drive oil if you haven't already done so. When you had the new tire installed did they use the Honda Moly 60 grease or another type?I only use the Moly 60 myself but the issue here is did they grease it when they put the rear wheel back on. As for the forks, if you don't know the last time the fork oil was changed that should be done as well. You ca tell if the fork seals are bad when the fork oil bypasses them and is there is a lot of oil on the sliders and it will also spray on the front of the bike. I hope his helps out.

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:32 pm

I doubt they greased it at all I did set an appointment with a guy that is supposed to be real good with services and fork seals are not leaking, but he did say he would either change or add some oil. He actually said the same thing about the drive oil and the grease, thanks so much for your reply I really appreciate all the help I get from people on this site so helpful. My Dad was a mechanic for 25 years and I learned a lot about the older cars before computers took over, but he never did work on Motorcycles and I never owned any til later in my life after I was too busy to work on them much myself, so it is most generally easier and cheaper for me to take it somewhere. He told me a service with fluids and oil filter etc... about $90 I thought that to be extremely reasonable and he said just one day notice required I may just take it there this Saturday or maybe even Friday night. Thanks Again for your response very useful.

Mariocupet

Postby Mariocupet » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Seems like both have the same mechanical background. My Dad too was a mechanic on old cars days and I was able to work with him many times.

I would encourage you to get a service manual or just download the one for you bike. I have one for mine and it is the same manual the Honda shops use and has a electrical troupe shooting section and schematics as well. It has been of a tremendous help to me and saved lot of money for me. I'm sure Hulu will benefit greatly from it.

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:51 pm

I will definitely do that, I see your bike is identical color to mine, I did fix the right side fan recently after I ordered two from ebay lol.

Mariocupet

Postby Mariocupet » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:01 pm

That is great and it make feel good when I get to fix mine. The manual will show all about taking the plastic off to everything you need to know. One of the features I like best is that it gives torque amount for the bolts.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”