Neutral light on dash not lighting up

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
par4ugolf

Neutral light on dash not lighting up

Postby par4ugolf » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:27 pm

I have got this problem with the neutral light on the dash not lighting up. When this happens the bike wont start in fact it wont do anything. I was told to try jiggling the reverse lever as there is a micro switch connected to this mechanism and if it malfunctions the light wont light and the bike will then not start. The other day it took quite a bit of jiggling to make it work so it is time to take further action and replace the switch or atleast give it a cleaning. The problem is that I can't seem to locate the switch and therefore not able to get at it. Does anyone else have this problem? My bike is a 1999 Goldwing SE. I could use all the help I can get.

RHHarrison
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE

Re: Neutral light on dash not lighting up

Postby RHHarrison » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:30 am

I am having the same issue with my 94 1500SE. The problem had been intermittent up to this year, but now it seems permanent.
Have checked all relays and fuses, nothing. Lo and behold yesterday, I decided to hook up a manual start switch so I could at least get the bike out of the garage and clean it up some. As I was getting ready to put the bike back in the garage, turned on the Key and the neutral light was on , so I hit the start button and she started right up. I watched the neutral light for a while flicker then go completely off again. Turned the bike off, the back on, no neutal light and no start either. Any ideas here would be appreciated

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:56 am

First...remove the seat...really.
Then the pockets,radio and covers.
then the left shelter behind the reverse lever.Yea It's gotta come off too.
Oh there's a bunch of stuff to remove to get the shelter off,lower air dam,marker light,etc,etc.
Attached to the rear of the lever is a switch with 3 wires on it.
It's bad....Clean or replace it.
I'm adventourious,so I cracked the cover and cleaned the contacts,glued and reassembled.

par4ugolf

Postby par4ugolf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:01 pm

And I have been told that this is a switch that is not suppose to go faulty.. Got my new switch ordered today and hopefully it will get here quickly. A lot of work just to get to it and I suspect that patience is the word of the day when attacking this switch. Good luck to the others that are having the same problem. Almost makes me wish it didn't have reverse, but not quite as reverse sure comes in handy at times.

par4ugolf

Postby par4ugolf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:24 pm

To get to the reverse switch you have to remove the side cover - and there's a bit you have to take off to get to it. It is located right next to the cruise air filter, so have a look at How to replace your cruise and sub air filters for details on what you have to remove (and in what order) to get to it.

Copy and paste this. When the blog comes up scroll down till you see the hi-lite of How to replace your Cruise and Sub filters. This will take you to the pictures and statements of what is needed to do to get to this switch. It is about 64 pages long, but has some good pictures and the explanations are pretty clear. Alot of work, but it is what needs to be done to sove our problems of the "NO neutral light on the dash." The switch is pretty inexpensive and I ordered mine from CycleMax.com.

par4ugolf

Postby par4ugolf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:26 pm

These switches can also be ordered through BikeBandit.com, but are a bit more costly. While you are at it youmay want to order the Cruise Filter and the sub filter and take care of thos while you got the bike in pieces, I am going to do it.

par4ugolf

Postby par4ugolf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:27 pm

R.H Harrison: Give the reverse lever a good jiggle. You probably have a bad reverse switch like I have. You may have to jiggle it quite a bit. The second time this happened to me it took quite a bit of jiggling to get the neutral light to come on. I have ordered a new reverse switch and while I am at it I am going to change my Cruise filter and my Sub Air filter, they are in the same general area and all the same stuff needs to come off to get at them. I was put on to this by someone on this forum to whom I am very grateful.

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:50 am

Hi guys and guysess, The neutral light on my dash as not worked for ages and the bike still starts ok ...... I think a bulb has blown and they are somewhat awkward to get at.

The fact that the neutral light is not going matters not ........ have you checked the side stand micro switch as these can get dirty .......I would say that one of the micro switches is not working and has some dirt on/in it and it is just a matter of locating it.

And like Virgilmobile says "First removed the seat". You will find that as time goes on and you like doing your own work on the Wing you will have to remove the seat ........ no matter which end of the bike or working under it you WILL HAVE to REMOVE the seat at some stage, so get in some practice now LOL :lol:

par4ugolf

Postby par4ugolf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:44 am

Do you happen to know where the side stand switch is located? I have thought of that also, giving the reverse lever activated my dash light. Would consider replacing that switch also.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:45 pm

par4ugolf wrote:Do you happen to know where the side stand switch is located? I have thought of that also, giving the reverse lever activated my dash light. Would consider replacing that switch also.

It's located right at the pivot of the side stand. Poke around in that area, you'll find it, there are wires leading out of it.

par4ugolf

Postby par4ugolf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Ok thankyou very much.

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:17 pm

par4ugolf wrote:Do you happen to know where the side stand switch is located? I have thought of that also, giving the reverse lever activated my dash light. Would consider replacing that switch also.

Put the bike on the main stand, then get down on your benders (knees) or lay on the floor, (get a soft mat to kneel or lay on ..... not the wife's :evil: best one), on left side of the bike. Pull the side stand down and you should hear a click as it reaches the bottom of the down and before it hits the stop.

Now do the reverse by moving it up and you should hear a click as the switch releases. Move it up and down a few times and that way you will see and hear if the switch is working or not. You may not have to even use the side stand as you will see a little metal plunger that you can push in and out with your finger.

Either way now that you are down there give the switch a clean as it picks up all the road grime and that makes the little plunger on the switch stick. Hope this helps.

jdjones1956
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500/6 Goldwing

Postby jdjones1956 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:01 am

I had the same problem after I'd had my 89 1500/6 for a week. Jiggling the reverse leave would get it to work. Tinkering around one day I removed the center screw that held the reverse lever on and a small approx 1 1/4 inch plunger fell off the bottom of the assembly. Since it fell in the dirt I cleaned it as it was pretty grimy. Next I took a flashlight and after locating the hole that it came out of I took a couple of Q tips and after spraying some WD40 on them I cleaned out the hole and then a couple of clean Q tips to remove as much wd40 as I could. I found a C clip to reattach the plunger to the assembly.. (Note: removing the upper and lower side covers helps with guiding the assembly back in place). I have yet to have any problems with the neutral light or starting since. It be worth a shot before removing a bunch of parts to get to the other switches.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:15 am

I had the exact same thing happen - I didn't realize that the reverse lever hadn't seated fully into the crank when I screwed it back into place, and after a few times rotating it, something snapped and that "plunger" pin fell out. You can see it below the main reverse lever shaft:

It is held onto the reverse lever with a small C or E clip (don't remember which), and fits into the small hole below the main shaft crank. I tried to find a replacement C/E clip, but nothing fit correctly, and I gave up and ended up ordering a new one from Honda. Once that was replaced, I made sure the reverse lever was fully seated into the crank before screwing the allen screw in place, and never had the problem again.

norbi1
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby norbi1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:46 am

virgilmobile wrote:First...remove the seat...really.
Oh there's a bunch of stuff to remove to get the shelter off,lower air dam,marker light,etc,etc.
I'm adventourious,so I cracked the cover and cleaned the contacts,glued and reassembled.

Hello everybody!
I created an account just to add my two cents to the discussion.
Somebody suggested that you don't have to remove all that stuff to clean the switch. I actually removed left side cover and left engine cover only. I used the mirror to locate bottom of the switch - there is an opening in the bottom of the switch (see attached picture - it is just for reference to show where the opening is). Now you can use electronics cleaner spray (I used CRC QD Electronics cleaner) with the nozzle straw attached to reach the switch. Spray inside the switch, move the lever back and forth a couple times and you should be good to go :)
Thank you guys for helping me out!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:32 pm

norbi1 wrote:
virgilmobile wrote:First...remove the seat...really.

Hello everybody!
I created an account just to add my two cents to the discussion.
Somebody suggested that you don't have to remove all that stuff to clean the switch. I actually removed left side cover and left engine cover only. I used the mirror to locate bottom of the switch - there is an opening in the bottom of the switch (see attached picture - it is just for reference to show where the opening is). Now you can use electronics cleaner spray (I used CRC QD Electronics cleaner) with the nozzle straw attached to reach the switch. Spray inside the switch, move the lever back and forth a couple times and you should be good to go :)
Thank you guys for helping me out!
Reverse Switch.jpg

I thought this would work as well. When mine started to get intermittent, I sprayed CRC cleaner into the switch, and it did fix it...for about 3-4 months, then it failed completely. Replacing it was the solution.

norbi1
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby norbi1 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:41 am

WingAdmin wrote:I thought this would work as well. When mine started to get intermittent, I sprayed CRC cleaner into the switch, and it did fix it...for about 3-4 months, then it failed completely. Replacing it was the solution.

Thank you - I will keep an eye on it.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”