Rear Tire Change & Side Cover Repair

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate
1988 GL1500

Rear Tire Change & Side Cover Repair

Postby Shiny » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm hearing horror stories about changing the rear tire on my '88 1500. After my experience with changing the tire on my '82 Wing, I'm thinking the $60 the dealer charges would be a bargain. Anyone have another take on that? Also, I have a broken tab on my left side cover. Thinking of screwing a knob on with a hi-lo screw. Also wondered if anyone had any luck making such a repair with JB Weld or such.

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Rear Tire Change & Side Cover Repair

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Don't use JB Weld.It's too brittle and doesn't bond to the plastic really well.
There is a 2 part mix specifically made to bond to plastic.
Don't get the 5 minute one either.This stuff is dark color and stinks horrible but is the best product.
Unfortunately i do not remember the name(crs disease).It may be another JB weld product.

As far as removing the rear wheel.It really isn't much worse than the 1100 or 1200.
When I did mine,I looked at the HOW TO section and lifted the entire back end up.
The most difficult part is realigning the drive shaft to put the differential back on.I assume you WILL grease the drive shaft coupler won't you.. :)

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Interstate

Postby pgjeepster » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:02 pm

I did mine in about 3 hours and replaced the brake pads at the same time. It's not that hard as a matter of fact there is a video on you tube on how to do it. I can't believe the dealer only wants $60 to do it, mine charged me $75 alone just to do the tire swap off the rim install the new tire and balance. It does help if you have a second set of hands for re-aligning the luggage to put it back together. I think that's half the fun doing you own repairs if you feel confident enough to tackle it. Have fun!

Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:07 am

I just recently changed two 1500 rear tires by lifting the entire rear rack. I will never do it again. It is much easier to just remove the bags and the rear fender cover. On both I eventually had to remove the bags in order to re-install the mounting bolts. They just wouldn't line up even with two people. If you have a trailer hitch (depending on the type) you may have to remove the bags to remove or drop the hitch. Also it take less time to remove the bags than it does to get the rack ready and to lift it.
Don't forget while you are in there to service the compressor. "Dry the beads." They need to be blue.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:35 am

I agree - removing the bags is far easier than lifting the whole back end (particularly when you're working by yourself), and has far less chance of doing damage. I've heard of people breaking expensive plastic body parts by lifting the back end.

Have a look at How to remove and replace your rear wheel - it's really not all that difficult.

As for repairing the side cover posts - there is an Add-On product available for doing this: Side Cover Repair Studs - however, it too uses J-B Weld as an adhesive, which isn't the greatest for sticking to the ABS plastic.

The best thing to use is actual ABS cement, the kind you get at the hardware store for bonding ABS plumbing pipes. It chemically "melts" the plastic - you put it on both the cover and the post, then post the post back in place and hold it until it cures. Once it fully cures, the plastic is actually bonded into a single piece again, instead of being "stuck together" using a foreign adhesive.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”