stupid question...

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
ghostvet
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A

1997 GL1500SE

stupid question...

Postby ghostvet » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Yes, there really are stupid questions... And here are two of them...

A- Why is there only one air shock on the back end?

2- What is up with the front air shocks? The air compressor is not fitted to them, and there does not appear to be a junction between the left and right sides to balance them. Yet, there are air line fittings under the caps at the top of each side of the fork.

And, there is nothing in the service manual on either the air plugs, nor troubleshooting or servicing front air shocks.

See, I told you there were indeed stupid questions, and maybe they should go unasked.... Lol (but not unanswered, ok?)

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Re: stupid question...

Postby Kiwi2 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:21 am

There is never a stupid question ........ only the one you don't know the answer to.

First thing is what model/year of Wing do you have as you have two displayed.

From that answer we can sort out the problem and answer.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:28 am

No stupid questions. There are no good answers to yours though. Just the way Honda designed the bike. Rear shocks: They work okay that way but doesn't make for great handling in the twisties. Front air shocks: They only hold a max pressure of 6 lbs. Too easy to blow a seal if hooked to compressor. Just my guess. I use a bicycle hand pump.
Manual: Which manual do you have? There is an entire section on servicing and rebuilding the front forks in my Honda manual. The "air shocks" aren't specifically addressed just the forks in general. The only difference being the air valves under the caps. There is nothing in the forks that make it an air shock.
Now with that said I wish you wouldn't ask so many stupid questions. :lol:
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

ghostvet

1997 GL1500SE

Postby ghostvet » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:05 am

Ding dong.... I am stock *FULL* of stupid questions!!!

So, should I put air in there? They are empty now. If they are not air shocks, why the air valves?

Hard to believe mother Honda removed features that were on earlier bikes. Only one rear shock sounds pretty chintzy to me. Why would they do that on their top of the line product?

So, would it be advantageous for me to put another air shock on the rear, and connect the two front shocks so they are naturally balanced, and maybe a small air tank for the front shocks as a reservoir?

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:27 am

This is only my humble opinion:

The schrader valves you see on the tops of your forks are indeed for adding air (somewhat compressed) to your fork tubes to increase their load capacity/increase their stiffness in the front of the bike. They require less than 10psi, so actually plumbing them to the on-board air compressor may be a moot issue, the volume of air needed within each fork is so minimal that by the time you've pressed the inflate button...only long enough to let go of it...the forks will have exceeded their maximum PSI rating, hence, no factory plumbing. Having more air in the forks tends to make the front end more ridged and increases good handling characteristics.

The air pressure in the one shock increases the bike's load bearing capacity and also adds stiffness to the rear of the bike as the forks did to the front. There is really no need to add a second air shock to the swingarm. The swingarm is mounted on a transverse axis, it does not twist, which is to say, the left side and right side of the swingarm go up and down equally, regardless of having an air shock on one side and not on the other, or having two air shocks.
As I am thinking about it while I'm typing this, it dawns on me that there would only be one advantage to adding an air shock to the other side, and this advantage would likely come with a downfall. Adding another airshock would give that bike much more load carrying capacity. Herein lies the problem I see...if that bike was overloaded on one airshock which led its owner to add a second airshock...well, all the extra stress is going to go somewhere, my bet is, the upper shock mounts will end up failing.

Just my humble opinion.
Keep the rubber side down.

ghostvet

1997 GL1500SE

Postby ghostvet » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:53 am

Here is something else... I suppose I could have made a new post, but since we are already talking about stupid questions....

What is this? It is in the gas cap cubby. Open the door and here it is...

Since it has a clip, it looks like it is OEM.

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:00 am

That is your remote idle adjustment knob. Turning it counter clockwise will decrease your idle RPM, clockwise to increase idle speed. NOTE: bump your throttle while turning it clockwise to lower the resistance on the screw cable, lowering the stress on the cable will help reduce the risk of breaking it....yes, I've seen it happen.
Keep the rubber side down.

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Good morning Chostvet

Everyone else has answered the questions so I will leave at that.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:34 pm

I was always taught: "Stupid questions are easier to fix than stupid mistakes." And as someone else has pointed out, there are no stupid questions, maybe, just maybe, questions that no one else has been game enough to ask.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:40 am

They are air shocks. Add air if you want to. There just isn't anything different inside that make them different from non air shocks. Just the added valve.

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”