Losing sidecovers? This is my fix.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Losing sidecovers? This is my fix.

Postby zamboni920 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:47 pm

I got some broken tabs on my sidecovers. I am aware of the repair kits, and also the use of ABS plastic cement rather than JB Weld. I still do not trust this way of fixing a known issue, and would expect the repair to break at any bad moment. I wanted a solid, mechanical fix. The GL1000 has knobs, the GL1200 has not had this issue, as I am aware of.
I got a hold of a set of knobs with bracket from a GL1000 and went to work. Not really much to it.
The brackets had too much of a stand-off.....didn't work.
Rummage around in my "miscellaneus" bin, and found some specialty nuts with same (metric) threads as the GL1000 knobs. With some spacers to bring it out(I wanted to be able to screw knob in tight without distorting the cover) I simply attached the nuts to frame with galvanized selftapping sheetrock screws.Attached pictures tells the rest of the story.
Perhaps something to think about, even if your tabs are currently good.
Attachments

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Losing sidecovers? This is my fix.

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Another solution is to secure with wire or string on the inside. A guy over on the Saunders site sells them..keepers. But basically glue/contact cement Velcro patches on the inside of the cover and on the bike under the cover. Then put a string into the other half of the the two Velcro patches and there you go.

Of course i just tied a string to the frame and the other end to the panel..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”