stripped hex on breakpad pin

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

stripped hex on breakpad pin

Postby Dogsled » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:30 pm

after all these years I finally did it, I stripped one of the hex drive brake pad sliders. I can't belive how tight it got after installing the pads a month ago. I was getting chatter and noise from the two fronts and wanted to put the anti noise stuff on the back of the pads.
The easiest way I saw to get it out was to compress the pad and give me enough room the stick a small pair of vice grips in and back it out. My only fear is the the grips may put ridges on shaft and the pads won't slide off. The pins can't be too hard of a material as easy as the hex stripped out. I really don't see the reason to drill the head and use an easy-out. from now on everything on the pin gets Never Sieze. With the locking cap there's no way for a loosley installed pin to backout.
anybody ever try to back out a pin like I said, with vise grips. Any problems doing so?

Oh yeah, I have 2 sets of hexs, a snap on and a Harbor Freight set. Use good fitting high quality tools like the Snap on for a tight fit and prevent stripping from ill-fitting cheap tools. Amazingly though the cheap Harbor Freight allen wrenchs fit perfect when putting Jap and Chinese funiture together

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: stripped hex on breakpad pin

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:23 pm

I've never used vice grips on those pins, the only time I've had problems with those sticking is on the 1100, where you can whack them out from the other end - not useful in this instance.

I'd go the vice grip route before trying an ez-out - but they are soft metal, and they'll likely score. No worry, the pins are cheap - looking at http://cyclemax.com/oem_parts they go for $6.90 apiece.

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Re: stripped hex on breakpad pin

Postby Dogsled » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:30 pm

Yeah, the older models must be different. I did order a new set of pins but no real hurry to change them since the pads are new. I thought up that vice grip thing myself and was just getting some thoughts on it. What my worrys were if it scored enough the old pad wouldn't slide off, but if they are soft and quick hit with a file may clean it up. I know the temptaion to do it as soon as the pin comes will be there so I want a plan for when the urge hits. This pin can't be in there that hard since I never really tighten them and only being in a short time. The cheap ill fitting Allen and soft steel, i'm hoping a quick turn with the vice grip is enough to start things turning. Maybe i'll take a few pics and write down any complications and solutions. I guess there is no standard way to do this and it sure seems like an easy thing to strip.
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”