backoff install

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wilsonoo
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing SE

backoff install

Postby wilsonoo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:20 pm

Hello, I am trying to install my backoff xp on the wing. I trying attach it to the brake light only, on the trunk brake light bar. no go and as far as the instruction and a tech I have it wired correct. I believe the light is 12v. No idea were to go now, I looked for previous topic none found, any help would be appreciated........thanks

!990 Goldwing SE, 94000, California Sidecar Trike.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: backoff install

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:27 pm

You're not really going to be able to do it on just the trunk light bar. I wanted to do the same thing, but upon investigation, I found that it wasn't going to be possible. The power for this bar actually runs through a resistor box. This box has some diodes and resistors, that provides low voltage to the trunk light bar at all times (for a running light), and then full +12V when the brakes are pressed. Because there is always power there (albeit low voltage), the flasher won't engage.

You could probably do it if you put it in between the resistor box and the trunk light, and then cut the wire feeding the running light to the resistor box, which would mean that the light would be off at all times unless braking.

wilsonoo
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing SE

Postby wilsonoo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:07 pm

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense, not enough volts. My light bar only comes on when the brakes are applied or is it broken, (along with the other stuff that need repaired). Did you hookup your back off and were did you install it....thanks
!990 Goldwing SE, 94000, California Sidecar Trike.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:40 pm

wilsonoo wrote:Thanks for the reply, that makes sense, not enough volts. My light bar only comes on when the brakes are applied or is it broken, (along with the other stuff that need repaired). Did you hookup your back off and were did you install it....thanks

I ended up not hooking it up at all...I probably will, eventually, on the main brake lights on the trunk. However I'm planning to redo them as LEDs, so I'm waiting until then before installing it.

smilam
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 With a Roadsmith Trike Conversion

Postby smilam » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:20 pm

I just found on the Steve Saunders website that there is a relay mounted under the trunk that controls the spoiler lights. This relay has a light input that provides 6 volts to the spoiler LED's for running lights and another input for the brake light circuit that opens the running light circuit and provides 12 volts when the brakes are applied. The backoff controller should be wired to the brake light circuit ahead of this relay.
I have not tried this yet but plan on doing this in the next few days.
Hope this helps.
Steve

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:39 pm

smilam wrote:I just found on the Steve Saunders website that there is a relay mounted under the trunk that controls the spoiler lights. This relay has a light input that provides 6 volts to the spoiler LED's for running lights and another input for the brake light circuit that opens the running light circuit and provides 12 volts when the brakes are applied. The backoff controller should be wired to the brake light circuit ahead of this relay.
I have not tried this yet but plan on doing this in the next few days.
Hope this helps.
Steve

This is the resistor box I mentioned. I believe it's just a resistor and a couple diodes in there, not a relay (although I could be wrong). And it's behind the left saddlebag, not under the trunk:

Spoiler light actuator (on right side of picture)
Spoiler light actuator (on right side of picture)

smilam
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 With a Roadsmith Trike Conversion

Postby smilam » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:48 pm

That is the correct module. I got mine hooked up today and it is working. The brown/white wire is for the running light input and provides 6 volts to the spoiler lights. The green/yellow wire is the brake light input which provides 12 volts to the spoiler lights. The yellow wire is the output to the spoiler lights. On my 98 GL1500 the spolier light is supplied with 6 volts from the running light circuit as soon as the key is turned on. When the brakes are applied this module opens the contacts from the running light circuit and closes the contacts from the brake light circuit and supplies 12 volts to the spoiler lights.

I found this module behind the left side saddle bag as shown on the proceeding picture. I cut the green/yellow wire and spliced in the brake modulator in series. The spoiler lights now work as running lights until I put on the brakes and then it comes on brighter, strobes about five times and then stays on steady. When I let off the brakes it dims back down to the running light mode.

In my case the first time I put on the brakes to try it out it worked fine but the second time I put on the brakes it didn't strobe. I noticed that it was a little dimmer so I started the engine and it worked every time I put on the brakes. I believe the voltage was just low enough without the engine running that it wasn't enough to make the module work.

I hope this helps.
Steve

codynewman
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500/6 GoldWing

Postby codynewman » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:34 am

I just installed my pathBlazer headlight modulator thanks to Wing Admin's helpful how to. How does one go about getting to the module for the BackOff wiring? Can I take the left saddlebag off and find it?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:38 am

codynewman wrote:I just installed my pathBlazer headlight modulator thanks to Wing Admin's helpful how to. How does one go about getting to the module for the BackOff wiring? Can I take the left saddlebag off and find it?

Yes, it is accessible once the left saddlebag has been removed.

Incidentally, when I installed mine, contrary to what I originally wrote and planned, I wired it so that only my spoiler flashes, and the main brake lights stay on solid:

codynewman

Postby codynewman » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks for the quick reply Wing Admin. I'm home with my sick daughter today so I thought I'd try to knock this stuff out. Your lights are freaking awesome dude, I can't wait to go full LED.

codynewman

Postby codynewman » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:40 pm

I am having hell finding that module. Got any clearer pics? 1989 1500

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:47 pm

You might also want to read this thread:

How to wire up a (Back off) brake light flasher

I had a look around on the web for a better picture, but was unable to find one. The little black box you're looking for is immediately to the rear of the one with the cooling fins. It has three wires leading into it.

JDEWALRUS
Motorcycle: 1999 GOLDWING SE

Postby JDEWALRUS » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:39 am

STEVE THANKS FOR YOUR GREAT INFO. I HOOKED UP MY SPOILER LIGHT LAST NIGHT PER YOUR INSTRUCTIONS AND WORKS GREAT. Excuse the caps but to lazy to retype. I've research this hook up for so long and been told it couldn't be done. Well you proved them wrong. I also want to give a Great thank you to the Back Off techs and company. I sent my unit back to have them test and it failed. They sent me a new unit and its now on. I just can't say how much I appreciate there nice and helpful service. They get high marks for product and service. Thanks again Steve

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”