Rear speaker fader on 1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Rear speaker fader on 1500

Postby liquineer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:12 pm

My 1988 1500 is new to me and still finding my way around the innards. My rear speakers don't seem to function when the radio is on, and I believe the fader is the knob near to the ignition switch show in photo below.

I have had the seat off today, and the speaker wires are intact and lead under the frount section of panelling, but without disassembling to much more, I am puzzled as to why they don't function. Any suggestion/ideas on what to do next? It was first registered in California.

Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Re: Rear speaker fader on 1500- found the fault how to fix i

Postby liquineer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:26 am

I posted a query on this a short while ago- I have just removed the part in front of the radio shroud that has the fader control , only to find it was not connected to anything- I have attached a photo to show that there are three connectors to plug in to something. For those who have had their radio shroud off before, do the three plugs look as though they go in to the back of the radio plug system at all, or should they plug in to some other interface? It is an '88 model. I will dissasemble the radio shroud, but would appreciate some advice on the connectors before doing so. I wonderedd if someone previously had taken parts off and put them back, and forgot to plug these back in, or it might be that something else was connected to the bike and is no longer there- I don't know which at the moment.

Are we having fun yet?

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Rear speaker fader on 1500

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:30 pm

I saw your original post but could offer no advice as I was unfamiliar with your set up. My bike has the fader located on the side of the station tuning box on the left handlebar.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:31 pm

This thread may give you the info you seek:

http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt ... f=6&t=2064
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Thanks
That might be the solution- will check on Monday.
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:30 pm

After taking off the radio shroud, I discovered that the rear speakers appear to be wired directly to the front ones- by tracing the wires back I discovered that one twin wire had either been overheasred at some point or sufferred from fatigue and the strands of copper from one wire were showing- this was not however shorting on anything- it passes under the fuel filler cap lid, so have reassembled everything and will cut and replace that section later. I did not find any connectors- hidden or otherwise for the fader control- that has left me mystified.

I did find evidence under the right pocket of items having been removed in the past- on top of the resorvoir on the riders right are three small switches- they terminate in four wires in the pocket- three have spade terminals the fourth does not.

Also it apears that the passenger headset connection is either missing or has never been conncted- two plugs seem to be available for this if have observed correctly.

Are we having fun yet?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”