Advance Timing Trigger Wheel

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
godsen
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Advance Timing Trigger Wheel

Postby godsen » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm seriously thinking I should change out the timing belts on my 1990 1500.
Bike runs great but has about 110k miles on it and I have no idea when (or if) they were changed last, and listening to you guys has scared the bejeezuz out of me.
I have also seen the Advance Timing Trigger Wheel that they have for sale at WingStuff (which has gotten rave reviews)... just want to make sure... is that a replacement for the pulser rotor on the end of the crank between the two pulleys?
Any of you out there done this... how difficult was it (if you're in there anyway)... any landmines to look out for... and is it worth doing?

And is there any reason to change the pulse generator? Is that something that has a shelf-life?

G

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Advance Timing Trigger Wheel

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:21 pm

godsen wrote:I'm seriously thinking I should change out the timing belts on my 1990 1500.
Bike runs great but has about 110k miles on it and I have no idea when (or if) they were changed last, and listening to you guys has scared the bejeezuz out of me.
I have also seen the Advance Timing Trigger Wheel that they have for sale at WingStuff (which has gotten rave reviews)... just want to make sure... is that a replacement for the pulser rotor on the end of the crank between the two pulleys?
Any of you out there done this... how difficult was it (if you're in there anyway)... any landmines to look out for... and is it worth doing?

And is there any reason to change the pulse generator? Is that something that has a shelf-life?

G

At 110K miles no question I would change those belts!

That is the rotor you're thinking of. I think virgilmobile has changed his out, if I remember correctly.

Pulse generators do die - but some can go forever, some go early. I don't know of any common thing (other than heat) that causes their early demise. You could change them if you want...but if they're working fine... I suppose if you want to spend the money, and you're going to have it open to do the belts anyway, it can't hurt. It's not like a failed pulse generator will cause engine damage like a failed belt.

godsen
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Postby godsen » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:46 pm

Thanks, WingAdmin. Didn't seem right to me, but when I was looking at the schematics for the belts, it looked similar so that's why I asked. Good thing as it happens!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:13 pm

I haven't changed the timing advance wheel.I've thought about it but I've been reading mixed results from "it fixed my hesitation to there was no difference" for the 88-89 models.Other years report better results.

So far my hesitation problem has been solved( I'm hoping) with modifications to the carbs.I've left all the electronics and control systems OEM.

I'll final post again after a good day of local riding with each mod and what it changed.

Some may benefit from one mod and not another depending on exactly what their symptoms are.
Mine is geared toward the 88-89 model with the unique "off idle hesitation" problem.

DougK109
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Postby DougK109 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:08 pm

I did the timing wheel on mine (89), being I was changing the belts anyway (the second time in its over 100k life) last year. As of now, having rode it for awhile, I believe it has completely eliminated my hesitation. I have not noticed any change in gas mileage as some people have stated they had. As for installation, if you can do the belts yourself, you will have no problem replacing the wheel.

Dennis613l
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Postby Dennis613l » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:20 pm

I too changed the trigger wheel last spring when changing the belts on my 88.
Also put in Iridium plugs & K&N filter.

End result, no more hesitation. No change in power or fuel economy.

What wasn't apparent up front, is that running premium fuel is recommended by the supplier after the change.
I'm only at a 1,000 ft. of sea level, and been runing regular so far (6,000 km) with no knock, etc. May be an issue under load or at high elevation.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”