Trailer Wiring on Bike

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Thesseus
Motorcycle: 1988 gl 1500

Trailer Wiring on Bike

Postby Thesseus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:46 pm

Hired a mechanic to instal Reese kit that would work LSD and Amber lights with built in Isolater etc., did not hook up trailer for a bit, but decided to do a check. Nada worked, removed seat and checked inline fuse, there was none, so installed still nada, left signal the clamp connectors did not cut the wire, fixed and working, the right was connected in 2 spots to the ground, fixed and working, the running lights did not work also, but it was due to wires not cut enough for connection.

No brakes, the red wire for the brakes was just connected to a ground wire to battery, this is a five to four system. So with the seat off and the isolater unit behind the gas tank is there a way to connect the brake wire to the fuse box or relay without taking off the tupperware(trunk)??????? or another easy accessible spot????

Found ECM for my bike at Gold Wing King on Steeles A. in Toronto, he ships US etc, lots of parts

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Trailer Wiring on Bike

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:11 pm

You hired a "mechanic" and it didn't work and you had to do a bunch of fixing yourself??!! If that was me I would be kicking some "mechanic" butt.

For $13 you can buy a plug and play trailer harness. I hate cutting into wires. Just not a good idea.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/195
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:20 am

Maybe I'm not reading your description correctly but normally a 5 to 4 system uses the tail lights as the turn signals. If you have separate amber turn signals I think you may have a 5 to 5 system and won't need the convertor. If so all you need is a 5 wire connector. ???
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thesseus

Postby Thesseus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:44 am

All is working well except for brake hookup, the 4 way wiring on trailer is fine, but on the bike it was not hooked up just connected to a ground wire, since the isolater is at the base of the seat, the wiring from the isolater can reach the fuse relay area, it maybe easier to connect there than taking off trunk. If connected to relay, which colour wire???? My trailer is a 4 wire system.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:27 pm

That $13 isolator from Cyclemax is what's on my bike - installation is super easy, you remove four screws to remove the trunk under panel, plug into a couple existing connectors, run one wire to the battery (fused) for power, and you're done. My bike came with a mess like you describe - cut wires, splices, grounded mystery wires. I just ripped it all out and started fresh, now I have a reliable harness that I know I can depend on.

liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Postby liquineer » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:46 am

I have started to discover mystery unconnected wires and scotchlock (may be called something else in other countries) connectors in the wiring harness. I think the trailer wiring has been spliced in like that as well.
Are we having fun yet?

Thesseus

Postby Thesseus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:00 pm

I had been away for a month, if plug and play connecters where needed get them but clamp types where used, all have been done and are ok except brakes, just thouht it maybe easy to connect into the relay fuse are instead of under the trunk. Upon examination a few of the trunk screws are missing and even screws for solidfying the speakers to the bike and various parts. Travel plans have been curtailed because of this, personally not a happy camper and was ready to leave for six weeks, so being old school may have to extract the pound of flesh. Left behind various connectors, fuse links and money and was told all is ok and working. From the isolator it looked like it maybe easy to connect to the output of the relay, perhaps I am wrong and have to take the trunk undone and raise etc. If the relay could be used, a lot of work is saved.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”