95SE headlight short

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
rbdicksmith
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

95SE headlight short

Postby rbdicksmith » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:15 pm

I have a 95 SE that started having the headlights shutoff when the handlebars are turned all the way to the left. It you turn back slightly to the right the headlights come back on. I pulled the top cover (around the ignition switch) and began to inspect the wiring harness. I cut the outer wrapping off the large bundle coming down from the left handlebar and inspected the wiring for an obvious short but could find none. I then began pressing on various wires and could make the headlights come on and off. The position lights, cornering lights, turn signals, 4 way flasher, horn all work but now no headlights. Have checked the fuses and they are good. Haven checked the relays yet. When the headlights were on the dimmer switch worked properly.

My thought was that one of the wires (high or low) had an internal break and turning the handlebars pulled the wires apart. I thought I could splice a wire around where I felt there was a break in the Blu/Blk and Wht/Blk. Pressing on these wires could make the light come on and off but now that doesn't work at all. (This was about where the wiring bundle was tied down with a plastic clip holding it to the frame or about 8 inches from the switch.)

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks

jdjones1956
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500/6 Goldwing

Re: 95SE headlight short

Postby jdjones1956 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:27 am

You could try using a length of wire with alligator clips on both ends. Strip a small section of the wire you think are bad and jump them. If the wire is bad then splice it, if not, use liquid rubber so seal the strip wire and move to the next wire. You seem to be on the right track. Good luck.

rbdicksmith
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

Re: 95SE headlight short

Postby rbdicksmith » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:05 am

Thank you for the response. I will continue as suggested.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”