Hooking up brake flasher

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Hocky
Motorcycle: 2003 GW 1800/Roadsmith Trike

Hooking up brake flasher

Postby Hocky » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Sorry to hijack your thread but I need some advice & looks like you've been there. I'm trying to hook up a read pulsating flasher http://www.comagination.com/bflasher.htm
I found 2 wires going to the rear upper light on my 2000 GW SE. So I interrupted the yellow/green as hot & black as ground.
So, either there is a 3rd wire in another run to the light or the bulbs don't have enough resistance to make the flasher work?
BTW, after installation the upper & lower lights worked the same as prior to the installation.
THX, Ron

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Hooking up brake flasher

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 pm

Hocky wrote:Sorry to hijack your thread but I need some advice & looks like you've been there. I'm trying to hook up a read pulsating flasher http://www.comagination.com/bflasher.htm
I found 2 wires going to the rear upper light on my 2000 GW SE. So I interrupted the yellow/green as hot & black as ground.
So, either there is a 3rd wire in another run to the light or the bulbs don't have enough resistance to make the flasher work?
BTW, after installation the upper & lower lights worked the same as prior to the installation.
THX, Ron

In the world of Honda, ground is always a green wire (no stripe), not black. The green/yellow is the correct wire to use for the +12V brake light power, but you want to use green as ground, not the brown (which is what I suspect you are seeing as black, as there are no black wires in the lighting harness - solid black in Hondas is +12V ignition power).

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”