changing spark plugs


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
m2102
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:02 pm
Location: pontiac,illinois
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

changing spark plugs

Postby m2102 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:42 am



i'm on a couple other sites and just wanted to tell all newbies and unsure diyérs. i changed my plugs today and went into it cautiously.my biggest "fear"was taking the plastic off so as not break anything and changing the plugs and have my bike start and run .it was a great success. all went well and everything fell into place as it should have.i bring this up to let all the newbies and other hesitant riders not sure about working on their own bike.the feeling you get from doing it the first time yourself is fantastic. if your aren't sure or get stuck on something you have a vast wealth of nohow at your fingere tips.i have found that all you have to do is ask and the much more experinced friends on here are more than happy to help another in need. so try it yourself,you have a lot of friends to be there to help in any way they can.finally,do it yourself,the feeling you ave from doing it yourself is a great feeling and having the best sources of help you will ever find.
keep the miles coming and feel good about diy.



User avatar
m2102
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:02 pm
Location: pontiac,illinois
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Re: changing spark plugs

Postby m2102 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:49 pm

forgot to mention that when i got everything off to take plugs out,i found a bit extension with a phillips bit still in it,also found a walnut shell on top of engine. never no what you cam find

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 2863
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: changing spark plugs

Postby dingdong » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:51 am

m2102 wrote:forgot to mention that when i got everything off to take plugs out,i found a bit extension with a phillips bit still in it,also found a walnut shell on top of engine. never no what you cam find


Better check your air filter housing. Mice love to nest there. :D ;) Just joking but it has happened.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

User avatar
Bamaeagle
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:25 pm
Location: Demopolis, Alabama
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Re: changing spark plugs

Postby Bamaeagle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:26 am

m2102 wrote:forgot to mention that when i got everything off to take plugs out,i found a bit extension with a phillips bit still in it,also found a walnut shell on top of engine. never no what you cam find


Yep sounds like your next "job" will be to replace the air filter ( to check for mice nest and food storage), while you are there you can change the sub filter and cruise filter as they most likely need it. There is also a fix to keep the mice out of the air filter....do a search on the forum sites you are on and you should find it.

Finding left over tools is a bonus.....I just hate it when I take something apart and find bolts and nuts loose and not know where they go....lol.
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

User avatar
m2102
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:02 pm
Location: pontiac,illinois
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Re: changing spark plugs

Postby m2102 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:35 am

so true BAMAEAGLE,air filter is new havent done the other two.i believe i cleaned the sub air filter.when i do the cruise i'll most likely will be asking for advice.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: changing spark plugs

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:03 am

m2102 wrote:so true BAMAEAGLE,air filter is new havent done the other two.i believe i cleaned the sub air filter.when i do the cruise i'll most likely will be asking for advice.


It's all right here:

How to replace your cruise and sub air filters

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: changing spark plugs

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:16 am

m2102 wrote:i'm on a couple other sites and just wanted to tell all newbies and unsure diyérs. i changed my plugs today and went into it cautiously.my biggest "fear"was taking the plastic off so as not break anything and changing the plugs and have my bike start and run .it was a great success. all went well and everything fell into place as it should have.i bring this up to let all the newbies and other hesitant riders not sure about working on their own bike.the feeling you get from doing it the first time yourself is fantastic. if your aren't sure or get stuck on something you have a vast wealth of nohow at your fingere tips.i have found that all you have to do is ask and the much more experinced friends on here are more than happy to help another in need. so try it yourself,you have a lot of friends to be there to help in any way they can.finally,do it yourself,the feeling you ave from doing it yourself is a great feeling and having the best sources of help you will ever find.
keep the miles coming and feel good about diy.


I can't believe that I have gone this long without posting a spark plug How-To article for GL1500's - it obviously slipped through the cracks. So here you go:

How to change your spark plugs

User avatar
m2102
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:02 pm
Location: pontiac,illinois
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Re: changing spark plugs

Postby m2102 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks wingadmin I will be looking at them for sure




Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dusty Boots and 7 guests