Speedo Problems

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Speedo Problems

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:04 am

As I have mentioned my speedo quit working on me while on vacation in California. I made an assumption that it was my speedo cable that had broken. I did remove it at the wheel end and found that it was hard to turn with a screwdriver. Not being able to find parts along the way I went ahead and ordered one from my dealer at home so it would be there on my return.

When I did get home I removed the cable only to find it was fine. A bit rusty but intact. I lifted the front end of the bike and found that the tab coming out of the housing was not turning with the wheel. I was committed to the cable because I ordered it and when at the dealership I bought the plastic gear that goes in the wheel. Installed everything including the new cable and took the bike out yesterday. Speedo was working fine for about 8 km (5 miles) and it quit. I haven't had the time to take it apart again but I am assuming I tore out the plastic gear again.

I am a little annoyed with this as this is a pretty simple system and I can't figure out what or if I did something wrong. My only concern putting it back together was that the metal gear in the housing that is driven by the plastic one seemed kinda loose. I have no experience with it so I don't know how tight it should actually be. I'm thinking that maybe it moved enough for it to come out of it's support and then tore out the plastic when it jammed.

So anyone that has experience with this and can recall. Just how back and forth play does the driven gear have in the housing. I want to say mine had at least 1/8". I really don't know what else the problem can be. I'm looking at replacing the whole assembly for $90. I've already lost a $20 gear so hoping to stop the bleeding.

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Speedo Problems

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Mine had at least that much free play when I had it apart, and it's worked fine for me.

First off, don't assume it's the same failure again - check to make sure you've in fact got the same problem again before deciding your first fix didn't work.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”