lengthing 1500 trunck latch cables

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
windchaser1
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

lengthing 1500 trunck latch cables

Postby windchaser1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:50 am

I hope this works. And of course I am new to this site as a registered member. I am looking for anyone who has relocated a 1500 trunk and had to replace thier latch cables. I have relocated my trunk all the way out to the point where my latch cables barely connect. And I want to move my trunk back even more, but I cannot find how to lengthen those cables or even modify them. Does any one have experiance with this.
Oh, and I actually found cables that might work at Home Depot, but it the attachments and how to remove the whole latch assembly in order to replace those cables. Any assistance would be great, and my fender fluff would appreaciate also.

TennX
Motorcycle: 97 GL 1500 Aspencade
06 VTX 1300R

Re: lengthing 1500 trunck latch cables

Postby TennX » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:49 pm

windchaser1 wrote:I hope this works. And of course I am new to this site as a registered member. I am looking for anyone who has relocated a 1500 trunk and had to replace thier latch cables. I have relocated my trunk all the way out to the point where my latch cables barely connect. And I want to move my trunk back even more, but I cannot find how to lengthen those cables or even modify them. Does any one have experiance with this.
Oh, and I actually found cables that might work at Home Depot, but it the attachments and how to remove the whole latch assembly in order to replace those cables. Any assistance would be great, and my fender fluff would appreaciate also.

I cant help , but would appreciate posted pictures when you get it finished....goodluck
Phil.......

windchaser1

Postby windchaser1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:07 pm

I certainly will post pics. I may end up having to experiment. May someone knows where I can get new cables just in case I screw up the ones I have on there now.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 pm

Are you talking the cables that hold the top of the trunk from folding all the way to the passenger seat? if so, I picked up 2 really cheap, they are an available part.

They look like a wire, with a small metal cylindar on each end (listen to me, no mechanic lingo here, lol).

TennX
06 VTX 1300R

Postby TennX » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:27 am

Mag wrote:Are you talking the cables that hold the top of the trunk from folding all the way to the passenger seat? if so, I picked up 2 really cheap, they are an available part.

They look like a wire, with a small metal cylindar on each end (listen to me, no mechanic lingo here, lol).

If I may...I believe he is talking about the release cables connected to the latch levers...
Phil.......

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:57 am

I have seen two different bikes that successfully moved the trunk 2" back without any issues. Cables were tight but not binding. Seat position felt good but could tell there was more flex than normal. Past that a mount plate may be needed for the safety of rear rider and prevention of craking trunk.

Don't forget to cut new holes in bottom of trunk for emergency access to open bags. This could be an easier solution than cables.

windchaser1

Postby windchaser1 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks guys for responding this. Actually I have already relocated my trunk twice. Roughly 6" from orginal.
However I needed to add 3 more inches. We are big people, and save the jokes, I already know.
I was just wondering if there was a way of lengthing the cables the run from the trunk to the saddle bags.
As it stands, they are very tight, but the work just find, and the way I have relocated my trunk should prevent cracking and stuff like that. What I am looking for is I guess, cable patching, I've even considered if I can solder or bleed cable, like welded. I found steel cabling about the size of the ones mounted, and maybe I can cut and paste sorta speak, and I was looking to see if anyone has done this before, or what they may have done to accomplish this Impossible Mission.

I did see on this forum, someone who relocated and 1800 trunk, I believe, and did show that he did do something to his cables. If someone knows who that person is, or what they did to thiers, maybe they can fill me in that way.

However in the meantime, sounds like I may have to experiment alittle here. I am going to do some test runs, cut some cables and see if I can splice them. If so, then I will have relocated my trunk apprx 8 inch over stock.
The things wing people do, we should be ashamed for some of them, well very few of em anyway..

TennX
06 VTX 1300R

Postby TennX » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:51 pm

I havent a clue as to what you call these things, but I know Ive seen them, they look like the octagon looking adjuster on our throttle cables but they are for splicing and have a set screw in the side of each end...good luck
Phil.......

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:30 am

You may consider a car's handbrake cable if you are willing to 'cut and paste'. Find one that is fairly long and you may be able to do both sides with the one cable cut in half. Obviously there may be some engineering to perform to get the little knobs on the ends, but it should be fun :twisted:

You should take some photos so that we can see how you have approached this task.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

TennX
06 VTX 1300R

Postby TennX » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:09 am

Maybe some clutch cables off of another honda....just a thought....good luck
Phil.......

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:34 am

Go to lowes electrical dept and look for copper or aluminum ground lugs. Cut off the mounting tail and what is left is a small barrel uith center setscrew, nice coupling for splicing.

http://www.hottubworks.com/part-1-BL-it ... 7QodfAoAVg

http://www.hottubworks.com/part-2-GB-5- ... rdware.php

Or can use these, can purchase 2 in a pack.

http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/28600? ... 7QodfAoAVg

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Postby Bamaeagle » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:43 am

You can find the right size Lug cable splicer here.........

http://lugsdirect.com/splicer-wire-lugs.htm
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:16 am

You can use bicycle brake and gear cables. You will no doubt have to modify them but they are a good starting point.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

windchaser1

Postby windchaser1 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks everyone, a couple of those suggestions might be the ticket. However one of those websites, looks like, kinda wonder should I trust it. It does have the splicers I am looking for. Ok I dont remember from which response I saw, anyway I will check it out closer, see whats available.
I did complete the relocation project, and seems to have come out pretty nice. I did take lotsa photos and will post them after a little editing. I just "babygirl" to the upholstery shop today. The owner asured me that he can make "her" look good, and we should be able to do mileage on it when he is done. Some custom, just a little, mostly focused on comfort.. there is a small area on either side of the trunk we you can see just alitte bit of the brackets. Bugging me that you can see it, so I asked him to throw me some "skin on it", again he said he had it handled. So I will post all pics for anyone else you might need to relocate thier trunk.

It will be nice not to see "momma" crushed in there behind the back rest, or maybe my preception of it, bugged the crap out of me, even though she said it was fine... We'll see.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”