93 GL15A hazard light prob and radio presets forgetting

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
laugh_daily
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

93 GL15A hazard light prob and radio presets forgetting

Postby laugh_daily » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:03 am

Hello fellow riders! This seems like a great site, and I hope someone can help me. The hazard lights do not function well at all. When the button is pressed, the lights will flash back and forth sometimes and act like wig-wag flashers. Just as often, they won't flash at all. I can't trust them to work. I assume I'll have to replace the whole L side control cluster to fix, unless I get a better idea here.
When I start the motor up, the radio presets have all been "forgotten" and the clock won't keep time. I assume a battery connection is faulty and/or a small accessory battery is dying. Ideas?
Got the 93GL1500A w 78K on it about 3 weeks ago. Smooth runner, but grey smoke on 1st start of the day, esp w choke, but clears right up. Very strong acceleration and no knock or ping. At 25-40mph cruise, there is a whine, and foot peg sense of tranny working a tiny bit too hard. What initial evaluation or maintenance is suggested? Thanking you, oh so very much. ; )

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Re: 93 GL15A hazard light prob and radio presets forgetting

Postby Bamaeagle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:49 am

First off welcome to the forum......

Great buch of people on here that will give you some great info.

As far as your turn signal / hazard lights go....I would try to use some electrical contact cleaner on the switches. Open them up and spray them good.....do not get the cleaner on any paint though.

Your radio presets and clock have a 5amp fuse for them. Check your fuses and see if any are blown.

As far as the smoking....should not be a problem. If you let it set on the side stand you will get that at startup. You can place a piece of plywood under the side stand to help stop the problem.....a small amount of oil is leaking past the rings into the cylinder over night. I would also do a search on oil for your wing and see what people suggest. I am not going to start an oil thread here as it sometimes gets to be a heated discussion.....LOL.

Hope this helps some.

REMEMBER : RIDE SAFE ALWAYS !!!!!!!!!!!
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:26 pm

The grey smoke on start up, is normal, you use the choke and condensation sets up in the engine and exhaust and you are burning that off.As noted, there is a fuse for the radio and clock.Don't know what you are feeling in the tranny, but might try changing the oil if not done already and use a good grade oil to see if that clears it up. Is the clutch adjusted ok?Are the u-joints lubed?Gear oil in the rear?That could all transfer noise thru the tranny.You have a great machine, soit doesn't hurt to put a little time into it. It will last you a long time.Another thought on the turn signals, grounds at the sockets. That will screw up the whole works.Good luck, ride safe.
Proud member Patriot Guard

laugh_daily
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby laugh_daily » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks gentlemen! I love the idea that I can ask a few questions and within minutes to hours, I get useful information back from a couple of guys who love to do what I love to do. Greatly appreciated, mates. I hope we get to meet sometime and somewhere on our Goldwings. Ride safe, and may others ride and drive safe around ye. And they who cannot, may they roll softly and quietly into a field of daisies and those happy blooms muffle the noise of their engines seizing.

Laugh Daily! Tis me handle and me motto.
Boise, Idaho

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:03 pm

That did bring a smile to me. I am very happy to help out when I can. Ride safe.

Proud member Patriot Guard

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”