94A Rear Wheel Removal

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

94A Rear Wheel Removal

Postby landisr » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:08 am

Ok. So I have performed 90% + percent of my own maintenance since the bike was new, including replacing all but maybe one set of tires (160,000 miles and counting). Today is/was the day to remove the rear wheel to replace the aging back tire. Everything was going as good or better than normal (even got the right muffler to rotate out of the way of the axle nut). But all of a sudden things ground to an abrupt halt. I cannot remove the forward lower shock bolt to move/remove the caliper, although I think I have loosened it as far as the threads are concerned, as I keep turning the bolt and it doesn't move any farther out. Also, the axle is low relative to the left muffler so I can't pull the axle out. Initially, I had to run the air shock (Progressives) pressure up to 50 psi in order to get the lift under the bike (soft/low back tire), but remembered to run the pressure back to zero before starting the work. I've looked and looked, and scratched my head, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Hopefully I'm just suffering a senior moment and forgetting something simple. Can anybody shed any light on this? Thanks a bunch.

Ron in MI

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

TennX
Motorcycle: 97 GL 1500 Aspencade
06 VTX 1300R

Re: 94A Rear Wheel Removal

Postby TennX » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:40 am

Is the weight off the swingarm to allow for wiggle room....just a thought..Im new to the 1500 but not to bikes....good luck
Phil.......

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:53 am

Yes. I have tried lifting the wheel with a floor jack, and the whole bike lifts with it. It's like the swingarm doesn't want to move up. Thanks, though.

Ron

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks. Nice step-by-step. I guess my next thing to try will be to remove or at least rotate the left muffler out of the way. Still not sure why the shock/caliper bolt is putting up such a fight, tho. Stay tuned....

Ron

RandyHut
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby RandyHut » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:59 pm

The disc brake caliper bracket was jamming mine and if i remember correctly i had to loosen the axle nut before it would come out.

bert111bel
Motorcycle: 1994 gl1500 se +eml sidcar

Postby bert111bel » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:28 am

landisr wrote:Thanks. Nice step-by-step. I guess my next thing to try will be to remove or at least rotate the left muffler out of the way. Still not sure why the shock/caliper bolt is putting up such a fight, tho. Stay tuned....

Ron

you only neet to rotate de left muffler , not de richt................

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:34 am

Thank you bert; I will continue to work on rotating the left muffler. So far not even PB Blaster has worked, but.....

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:10 pm

UPDATE: A buddy and I ganged up on the muffler. He had to completely remove the clamp and pry open the expansion slots all the way around, and after several more shots with PB Blaster, it finally came loose. After cleaning and prepping the pieces, we started the reassembly. However, the shock did not want to drop back down on to the mount on the swingarm without 'coaxing'. Finally, it all went back together except for the tupperware. THEN we noticed "fluid" on the floor under the rear drive.... My right shock is now leaking. :evil: Bill said that sometimes shocks will leak a little under certain conditions when they are completely zeroed on air pressure. So I ran them up to 25 psi, and now the leak is worse... So now I am going to open a new thread requesting guidance on THAT challenge. Thank you again, bert, for reminding me about the need to get the LEFT muffler out of the way.

Ron

landisr
1994 GL1500A

UPDATE: 94A Rear Wheel Removal

Postby landisr » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:27 pm

As it turned out, the reason for both the fight I was encountering during rear wheel removal and the new shock leak was the fact that the right shock damper assembly had failed. ie the dampening rod had come loose from the piston and would not thread back in because the piston threads had been ruined. Apparently when I pumped up the shocks I "overextended" the one and the rod was just flopping around. When my buddy put the shock in a press to relieve the spring pressure to remove the snap ring, the whole unit flexed like a broken knee. And at least one seal was ruined at the same time. Soooo, a seal kit, dampener assembly and dust boot have things back to normal. Just thought I'd share my experience. Glad the scoot is ready for the road once again.

Ron

PS. The shocks are Progressive 416s with about 110,000 miles on them. Progressive was very helpful over the phone and shipped parts very quickly. Kudos!!!

vargas35@live.com
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Postby vargas35@live.com » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Took our newly acquired 89 GL1500 on its maiden voyage yesterday after rebuilding the carbs and handling a dozen other "gremlins". Parked her in the garage only to come out later and see a puddle of fluid had gathered under the rear wheel.
Thanks for posting your experience, I think I'll just take this to the local Honda mechanic and let him knock this out for us. Wouldn't hurt for a more experienced set of eyes to have a look at the rest of the bike as well.
Wee.....think we'll be "flipping" this one for a more recent 1800 in the very near future!
Attachments

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”