old gas smell

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jtstevenson
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

old gas smell

Postby jtstevenson » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:25 am

Last year I was fortunate enough to take ownership of my first gold wing (1500). It only had 7,200 miles then. It was the gentleman's third gold wing and his health had gotten bad, so this one was never ridden much. Due to be related by family, he had it "gone through" before I picked it up. His dealer went through the carbs and checked everything out. It ran good around town and with plenty of gas, but it started missing when low on fuel. I checked the usual, fuel filter, but was clean. I drained the tank and pulled the intake unit. The screen on the intake was solid. In fact, if I didn't know better I would not had known it was a screen. I cleaned it and tried to clean as much old gas powder from inside the tank. Put it back together, and have not had any issues since..about 6,000 miles in the last eight months.
Now here's my question, after ridding and parking back in the garage, I notice a strong gas smell. It has always done this since I have had it. Smells like old gas. So strong, I have to use and exhaust fan to vent and keep from smelling up the house. I would have thought after all the miles I have ridden since it would have burned out all the old gas. Now I'm wondering if something is leaking, or if carbs have a float issue. Occasionally it hesitates from idle when taking off.
There you go, any ideas?

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: old gas smell

Postby bustedwing » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:36 pm

I had a 85 that acted the same way, the only way I could stop the hesitation was leave the choke closed a little.I kept looking for fuel leaks, could never find any. Finally got some Sea Foam, ran it thru the fuel system for one full tank of fuel, it helped. Seconed tank, a little better, third tank finally cleared up. But each time you have to run a clean tank of good fuel thru it before you can tell if it needs more or not. If you had that much junk in the tank you may have a lot that got past the filter and into the carbs and if so may need rebuilding. Good luck.
Proud member Patriot Guard

jtstevenson
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Postby jtstevenson » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I have used SeaFoam before in our trucks. My son and I actually suck in through the intake/throttle body and it really makes a difference in how the run and react.
Someone suggested Marvel Mystery oil used the same way as you used the SeaFoam. I am in the process of running some Marvel Mystery oil through in the gas tank. I haven't had the opportunity to ride as much since, so I'm not sure what the results will be. I have located a mechanic close by who has given me some other options to try before we scrape the old tank and rebuild the carbs.
It runs fine other than an occasional throttle lag and the old gas smell, so I will push with some of these remedies for now. Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:40 pm

This can also be caused by a failed/leaky vacuum petcock diaphragm. If the diaphragm develops a hole, you'll smell that "old gas" smell for a while after you shut down.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”