honda can't figure it out

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

honda can't figure it out

Postby philvern3 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:39 pm

I have a 1988 1500, this is the first time I have had any problem with it, when the bike is cold , it starts, on prob,when it warms up it just goes click, click, click like a dead battery, so off to to the honda shop, three weeks later, I get a call, new battery, new starter, changed, starter solenoid, and still , starts cold, when the bike warms up, click, click, click, but the alernator gets hotter than a firecracker, so they didn't charge me labor, cause they did not solve the problem, anybody out there have any ideas, help...thanks ..phil

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: honda can't figure it out

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:27 pm

I hope we all can give you good advice.
You will have to become a diagnostic mechanic in short order.Not a parts changer.Lets find the problem and fix it.

Test first...Get a volt meter..When it goes click click...Measure the battery volts while its going click.
Measure directly across the battery posts.A good battery should not drop below 11 volts during cranking.

New batteries can be bad too,especially if not prepared properly.
Remove the battery and check the fluid level.Trickle charge with a maintenance charger for 24 hours.

Next thing...While the battery is out being charged...Remove the alternator.It really isn't that hard.
Take it and the battery with you and your local Autozone or such and should be able to test both of them.
Let's get the common easy parts checked out first.
A overheating alternator would lead me to believe that it's running max load.Either a shorted wire or a shorted cell in the battery or a bad internal regulator.Testing will tell if there OK or not.
While the battery and alternator are out,look at the large wire that attaches to it.It's the charge wire and goes across the bike to the battery fuses.Look for pinched or chafed wires.

I'm not going to comment about replacing that starter and solenoid.

Well OK I will....Your mechanic sounds,by your description, like parts changers in hopes that enough new parts might fix it.Just looking for the quick fix and big bucks.
One last thing.....I'd be wanting ALL my parts back too.Everything.They are yours to dispose of or keep.
Sorry,It really chaps me to no end.
I wouldn't have paid them a nickle either.You fix no money...I don't pay for effort,only results.If there stuff didn't fix it then why would you want to pay for those parts,they may be defective:D

Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:25 am

I agree with Virg, nothing bothers me more than somebody that just throws expensive parts at a vehicle and hope it cures the problem.Tho they are going to be kind enough to NOT charge you labor, but you dang sure paid thru the nose for those parts.One other thought is the starter button itself, it may need cleaning with contact cleaner.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:35 pm

I agree with Virgil too, sometimes a bad frame ground can cause problems..

Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Postby philvern3 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:19 pm

thanks virg and everybody else, I will have everything checked out, good thing we have a alternator shop here in town I'll keep you posted , and I'll check all my ground wires too. thanks again guys ....phil

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”