Can't hear incoming on CB

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

Can't hear incoming on CB

Postby cardinal » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:58 am

I can hear the AM/FM radio, the GPS, and tape deck just fine, but not incoming on the CB. CB transmits OK, and I believe there is a small symbol on the CB screen that says it is receiving a signal but I can't hear a thing from it. Can't even get static from adjusting the squelch.

Any ideas?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Can't hear incoming on CB

Postby dingdong » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:09 pm

The squelch knob is also a push button that shifts the audio from speakers to headsets with a symbol representing each function. Even if no one is transmitting anywhere near you, you should be able to hear static with the squelch all the way ccw. Check your antenna for loose connections. Be careful transmitting until you find the problem. You could damage the unit if the antenna is funky.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:58 pm

Shouldn't I be able to get some static from the squelch even if the antennae is funky?

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:09 pm

Check the position of the headphone / speaker button on the CB panel. The squelch button acts as a switch (push it in) for headphone or speaker. I'm betting it's not where you want it to be so you can hear.

Ask me how I know.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Well, I went out and started through all the various buttons. Punched the squelch button, turned it all the way to the left, punched it again then turned the volume all the way up and punched the squelch button again then hit it a couple more times and stopped playing with it when I was sure I could see the headset icon in the window, turned the volume all the way up and down a few times, left it at max then turned the squelch stop to stop. I think the volume knob was at maximum when I started going stop to stop on the squelch control. About half way through the 3rd or 4th cycle I got one quick blast of static that darn near blew my head off! I worked all the controls for a few minutes and now I can get static when I adust the squelch knob!!! I've had this problem with just about every switch on the bike. It took me two weeks punching the cruise control buttons and spraying them with contact cleaner before I had cruise control. This bike sat outside under a tarp for a year or two before I bought it, then it sat in the garage for a year while we put a new engine it. I wish I could dip it in a vat of of the stuff they use to counteract corrosion on airplanes........can't remeber the name of it now, but a dip tank of the stuff would cost a fortune!!

I'll know tomorrow if the push to talk switch still works .
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Bob

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:57 am

By volume knob, you do mean the volume knob on the center console don't you? It needs to be on and adjusted also.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:47 pm

dingdong wrote:By volume knob, you do mean the volume knob on the center console don't you? It needs to be on and adjusted also.

Volume knob on the center console doesn't seem to affect the CB volume. It was when I was running the volume on the CB radio console up an down that I got the blast of static that finally beame constant, untilI adusted the squelch.
Went on a group ride for Blue Grass and Brunch today and everything worked fine.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”