HID lighting

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jadandane
Motorcycle: 2006 dark red aud/nav/com
1995 gl1500 aspencade

HID lighting

Postby jadandane » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:01 pm

just looking for suggestions or someone with prior experience to comment. am looking at installing hid lighting and was just going to replace one bulb so that i could have the other bulb (halogen) as back up and also not have to contend with the "lag" of hid lighting. am also concerned with the heat factor (dont want to melt my lense) if i was to replace both bulbs with HID. will definitely go with the H4 Hi-Lo 35 watt and 5000k. thanks to all

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: HID lighting

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:11 pm

I put HID lights in my truck, and will probably do the same to my 1500 one day when I get one. :)

I have read that HID lights have a shorter lifespan in motorcycles because of the vibration they are subjected to - but that is all third-party information.

What I can tell you is that heat is not a problem. HID lights put out far less heat than halogen lights.

Some HID lights put out massive amounts of unfiltered UV light, which can, over time, cloud plastic light lenses. The best way to avoid this is to purchase a quality HID light with UV filtering applied to the bulb.

rlsapp
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing Aspencade

Postby rlsapp » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:39 pm

Go with the HID, it want hurt the lense. The lighting in the HID isn't as hot as the factory bulb... Not A Problem of HID.

txwinger54
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE Aspencade
1983 GL1100A

Postby txwinger54 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:58 pm

I bought 50 watt H4 HID w power level control and Telescoping Hi/Lo function, bought H4 adapters on Ebay to use H4 on 95 gl1500.

Best move I ever made. I keep the output power on low most of the time and still have triple the normal light on the road. Been running it for a year and never had anyone flash me. Runs cooler than standard lamps too.

I have extra driving lights on a separate fused circuit that could function as emergency lighting in case of a failure.

moldor
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby moldor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:57 pm

txwinger54 wrote:I bought 50 watt H4 HID w power level control and Telescoping Hi/Lo function, bought H4 adapters on Ebay to use H4 on 95 gl1500.

Best move I ever made. I keep the output power on low most of the time and still have triple the normal light on the road. Been running it for a year and never had anyone flash me. Runs cooler than standard lamps too.

I have extra driving lights on a separate fused circuit that could function as emergency lighting in case of a failure.

I'd be interested to know of any fitting problems you had with them. I have to replace my halogens anyway, and might go to the HID system as well.

txwinger54
1983 GL1100A

Postby txwinger54 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Basically, I bought this adapter on EBay - Current Item number 380215477011 to use on a standard H4 Telescoping BI-Xenon HID setup with weather proof slim ballasts, I clipped off the three tabs on the Xenon lamps, placed the adapter over the lamp and installed into the bikes headlamp assembly. I trimmed the rubber weather boot on the back to fit around the new lamps, installed the ballasts in the fairing in the vent cavity, routed my wiring, made my connections and fired up these flame throwers!

Obviously, there will be a little more to it than what I've included here but this should give you the general idea.

You will need to decide how you want to handle lo/hi beams. You can buy HID setups that are low beam only, HI/LO beam HID, Lo Beam HID/Hi beam Halogen and there may be others variants as well.

Personally, I like having a halogen option (Halogen driving lamps below the fairing) in case i have issues with the xenon setup while on the road. You can always find a halogen lamp if need be where a Xenon lamp would be more difficult item to replace.

Good Luck!
Rick

txwinger54
1983 GL1100A

Postby txwinger54 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:02 pm

Also, when selecting the color temperature, I wouldn't recommend going above 4300 K (Standard color of new vehicle HID headlamps), you lose light output (lost in color tint on lamp) and while rare, you might attract the attention of someone bent on enforcing there own interpretation of DOT Standards regarding headlamp color, equipment approval, etc.

moldor

Postby moldor » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:00 am

txwinger54 wrote:Basically, I bought this adapter on EBay - Current Item number 380215477011

Now THIS is a good idea - the "standard" Honda bulbs are mucho dinero here in Australia, and this would save many dollars while I'm researching the HID setup. Might have to make a template and manufacture a few myself..:-)

I think I'm going to go HID HI/LO, and convert the cornering lights into LED foglamps (it's Fall here and we get serious fog between now and November where I live). have a set of small driving lights mounted on a bar under the main headlight, but I'm thinking of adding something (again, probably LED for the power consumption and reliability) on the front fork or rotor cover - something like 300405091844 on Ebay.

Of course, this all means probably a CompuFire alternator @ around $800AUD as well..:-(

That should resolve the issue with problems getting HID bulbs on the road..

* UPDATE *

Just found out that the standard GL1500 globes are H4's - the second most common CAR bulb around. $5 each !!!
Last edited by moldor on Sun May 02, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:56 am

Keep in mind that HID bulbs draw much, much less power than halogen bulbs.

txwinger54
1983 GL1100A

Postby txwinger54 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:24 am

Power consumption and light output were my two main reasons for going with HID Headlamps. I saw 300405091844 on ebay a month or two ago but I noticed that it looked like it was just an array of wide dispersion standard white LED's, Something amber with a finite horizontal beam cutoff would probably be better for fog situations.

ejones0310

Postby ejones0310 » Sat May 01, 2010 2:44 pm

Before buying an HID lighting kit, read the article at this link and watch the video.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... sions.html

Plain and simple, HID lighting conversion kits are illegal unless they are designed for your vehicle and they are DOT approved. I don't think you will find any that fit that requirement.

Proceed at your own risk.

moldor

Postby moldor » Sun May 02, 2010 12:16 am

ejones0310 wrote:Before buying an HID lighting kit, read the article at this link and watch the video.

Plain and simple, HID lighting conversion kits are illegal unless they are designed for your vehicle and they are DOT approved. I don't think you will find any that fit that requirement.

Proceed at your own risk.

VERY interesting - I will check what the law is here in Australia and post my findings. My initial investigations lead me to believe that they are completely legal here.

hidonlinestore
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A

Hidonlinestore.com

Postby hidonlinestore » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:23 am

People who are die-hard conservative light fans have been renewed to using HID lights after driving one time with the brighter lights. You owe it to yourself to try the lights out in an actual world test.

jadandane
Motorcycle: 2006 dark red aud/nav/com
1995 gl1500 aspencade

Postby jadandane » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:08 am

I wanted to update everyone on my lighting dilemma. Also I wanted to have some time proven facts to support my findings. In march of 2010 i purchased from DDM tuning their 35 watt 5000k hi-lo HID kit for my wing. It took me close to 4 hours to disassemble, run wiring, mount the specific components and reassemble everything. I just want to tell everybody that this is the best 80.00 bucks I've ever spent. I do get "flashed" by oncoming traffic once in a great while, but if i flash back there's no more flashing. I can see so much better. The only drawback I've experience is all my buddies want me to lead now, they don't want me behind them.....

wa2ddl
Motorcycle: 1995 gold wing Aspencade

Postby wa2ddl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:09 pm

....Might have to make a template and manufacture a few myself..:-)

Well, if you DO mke these, PM me and let me know, I'll most likely buy one from you. I just replaced my high beams and wanted the HID, but was a bit afraid whether I would like them...now, I am kicking myself for not doing it.

firstwing85
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
1983 V65 Magna

Postby firstwing85 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi all, I know this is an older thread but thought I would share.
I installed a new HID conversion kit in Vanna (my 1200 ltd)
4 1/2 hours from start to going for a test ride in the dark with the new headlight.
WOW what a difference! I love the light, it must be at least 3 times brighter then the standard halogen bulb.
the light and the visibility is amazing and am sure glad I got the HID kit.. :D :D
Johan

Okayamapiper
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
1993 ST1100 ABS/TCS
1995 ST1100P
1983 Kawasaki 440LTD
1976 CB750F

Postby Okayamapiper » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:58 am

I was lucky to find H4R HID units locally and installed them. It took about 45 minutes. They are 6000K bulbs. I then went to ebay and found some for the cornering lights as well. I know they point to the side but the opposing traffic definitely sees me, so they aid in increasing visibility.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:07 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I put HID lights in my truck, and will probably do the same to my 1500 one day when I get one.

Now that WingAdmin has his 1500 I'm waiting for what I expect will be a another "How To" with pictures.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:24 pm

cbx4evr wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:I put HID lights in my truck, and will probably do the same to my 1500 one day when I get one.

Now that WingAdmin has his 1500 I'm waiting for what I expect will be a another "How To" with pictures.

:) I don't know...the headlights and driving lights on my 1500 are AWFULLY bright. And now that I have a modulator on the headlights, that's pretty incompatible with a HID headlight. I suppose I could put HID bulbs in my driving lights.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:49 pm

Aaaah, hah, going back on your word. Okay no problem things change.

I've been toying with the HID idea for some time. Was thinking of putting them in my new car but have since decided otherwise.

Some very good information here IMO. Kinda helped me decide.

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

MIAH
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500 SE
"DARKSIDED"
OVER 700 LEDS

Postby MIAH » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:47 pm

Go with the HIDS ...I've had them for 4 yrs in 2 different bikes and will not use anything else.....3 times the brightness of halogen,
cooler , last longer, use less power. if you do buy them get the 4300k color it is pure white light, anything higher or lower in number results in less lumins of light......BUT these HIDS because of their brightness must be installed properly and most important, adjusted correctly. so you don't blind other drivers. be responsible when installing and adjusting...I bought mine from VVME.COM and no problems.....
and no I have nothing to do with vvme.com
2 COR. 5:17
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, behold the new has come."

Everything is owned by GOD, and distributed by HIM, to be managed by us for a very brief time !!!

MIAH
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500 SE
"DARKSIDED"
OVER 700 LEDS

Postby MIAH » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:30 pm

cbx4evr wrote:Aaaah, hah, going back on your word. Okay no problem things change.

I've been toying with the HID idea for some time. Was thinking of putting them in my new car but have since decided otherwise.

Some very good information here IMO. Kinda helped me decide.

I believe this link is from a guy that is having a hard time selling his highend off-road lights and bulbs is being put out of business by HIDS and coming up even faster LED spot lights. :roll: :cry: I think he better step up to the new way to light your road. MORE LIGHT LESS POWER. :shock:
2 COR. 5:17
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, behold the new has come."

Everything is owned by GOD, and distributed by HIM, to be managed by us for a very brief time !!!

coolrunning
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500A Aspencade
50th Anniversary

Postby coolrunning » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:07 am

jadandane wrote:just looking for suggestions or someone with prior experience to comment. am looking at installing hid lighting and was just going to replace one bulb so that i could have the other bulb (halogen) as back up and also not have to contend with the "lag" of hid lighting. am also concerned with the heat factor (dont want to melt my lense) if i was to replace both bulbs with HID. will definitely go with the H4 Hi-Lo 35 watt and 5000k. thanks to all

The last 6 cars I have owned all were equipped with OEM HID low beams, with halogen high beams and fog lights. The HIDs are so much better, I upgraded both the high beams and fogs with HID conversion kits and eliminated all halogens. Why? 300% more light, less current draw and much less heat. Factory HIDs are typically 4300K which produces a very bright white light. I matched the conversions so it all looks like it is OEM. I just bought my 1999 Aspencade a month ago. The first night ride I thought the battery was half dead or not charging. No, it was just those pitiful halogens that were the best available back in 1999. I ordered the proper TRUHID kit from SoCalMotor when I got home along with a set of high power LED position lights. The kit is plug and play, and is complete with professional grade wiring harnesses, slim ballasts, HID light bulbs with socket adaptors and wire ties to secure everything. The instructions are good, and I was up and running in less than an hour. It would have been less if I had ever disassembled the lights before. What a difference! I can see! I have a much safer ride now, for a bit under $200. I spent a lot more than that on shiny accessories. Go with HIDs, and you will SEE what I mean. :idea:
Coolrunning

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:49 pm

Okay, just read this thread from end to end, and I am interested in going HID on my GL1500 , but I am curious on a few points ;
1) How long do the bulbs tend to last on our bikes ?

2) Can you get replacement bulbs while on a road trip if/when one or both burn out ?

3) I plan on getting the Hi/Low style HIDs, what if any mods do I need to do to the bike or the bulbs to use them on my bike beyond wiring up the ballast ?

4) Does any one have any before and after pics , from the drivers seat, of the light output ?

Thanks in advance everyone. . . .
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:30 am

Some of the LED headlights are starting to match the HID arrangements - so that may also come into consideration.

I have been trolling through the local scene for what is available in Oz, and it appears that both are readily available, as well as spare globes. The LED lights are quoted as being good for 30 000 hours of operation. A downside of HID is that they take a little time to get up to power, so may be a problem about having enough light, when switching from low to high beam and return. No one has mentioned this factor, so far.

Here is a comparison article between Halogen, HID, LED, and Laser. It is based on Australian, but overall it could apply everywhere.
[url]http://www.caradvice.com.au/278125/headlights-explained-halogen-v-hid-v-led-v-laser/[/url
]

Last edited by redial on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”