main fuze blow

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
laugh_daily
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

main fuze blow

Postby laugh_daily » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 pm

Hello folks! I have a 93 GL15A that I had the main ign 15amp fuse blow today for no apparent reason. Earlier in the day the engine turned off at idle, but I thought I must have bumped the kill switch. Dropped in a new fuse and it fired right up, but concerns me that I might get stranded. Any ideas for causes or what to look or check for? Thanks. Remember folks, Tis better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth, and remove all doubt.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: main fuze blow

Postby robb » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:45 pm

About two years ago mine blew about 4 hours into an 8 hour ride. Replaced and it ran for 3 hours but after a fuel stop it blew the main dogbone fuse to right of battery while trying to crank. Battery was hot and Walmart was close so I got a battery and got back home. Next morning it would not crank and blew another bogbone fuse. Checked alternator and had 14v until using turnsignals or appling brakes, then it went to19v. Bought a high output alternator and it has been solid as a rock.

laugh_daily

Postby laugh_daily » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks Rob. I was hoping it wasn't going to be that expensive, or time consuming. But, as the current "in" thing to say is: it is what it is. I expect that would be about a $500 dealer job. Divorce is progressing, but getting a job has not since late January. My vanity plate reads: VALIUM since few things relax and clear my gourd than a spin on the Wing. Thanks again, my friend.

robb

Postby robb » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Know what you mean, got laid off 21 months ago. After 3 strokes it is hard, but wife has a florist so I now deliver flowers. Pay is not great but it is a blast.

I bought a 90amp alternator off ebay for $200. Check output with good meter first, it could just be a weak battery and they are $50 at Walmart.

laugh_daily

Postby laugh_daily » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:24 pm

.Every life has something, but knowing that someone else has it rougher, doesn't make anyone feel better. You have the right attitude though, dropping off flowers has got to be a good gig, even if the pay isn't what you'd like. I'll bet that neither of us has missed any meals. ; )

I'll run by the parts store .and get them to check output. The battery has twice been drained to zero in the past month. That might be it, but don't see how a bad battery would blow a fuse.

robb

Postby robb » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 pm

She does let me deliver ocassionally on the bike, and doctor says health is as good now as it was before first stroke in 96. Wife thinks I'm having too much fun. The hard part is working for my wife. I can still live with $900 less per week if I am not stressed into stroke # 4.

Wiring heats up under strain of low voltage and blows fuse.

laugh_daily

Postby laugh_daily » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Sorry for omitting the 2nd b in Robb. Brother, if you're delivering flowers on a GW and making it work for $3600/month less than before AND you have made it through 3 strokes with good health, I don't care if your wife is your boss, the Lord has smiled on you. Good on ya, mate! I wish you many miles and blooms and the gratitude of those who love what you bring. My sincere best to you, and thanks so much for your sage advice on my fuse problems. This forum has been a great resource to me.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”