Engine quits while riding

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
tangman41
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Engine quits while riding

Postby tangman41 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:44 pm

My 1988 w/ 34000 miles. Cruising down highway, the engine will stop.After coasting to a stop it will restart and run just fine.Its never done this before however its been sitting for a year and only driven it about 300 miles the last 2 years. I added new gas with the old,and I don't see any rust or anything in the fuel tank.Its seems to be fuel or ignition problem.Anyone help?

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Engine quits while riding

Postby bustedwing » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:53 pm

That sounds electrical to me although bad fuel could be a contributor.I would add Sea Foam to the fuel maybe clean out the gunk.Use spray contact electrical cleaner, available at auto parts stores,spray kill swtich.If you have dry air ,such as you use for computers,blow dry the switch. If not,use a hair dryer or heat lamp but do so carefully.If this does not resolve the problem do the same to the ignition switch.Between all this, you should have improvement, if not let us know and we will try again.
Proud member Patriot Guard

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:05 pm

I think if might be moisture in the tank. Drain fuel and replace fuel filter if it sat with crappy ethonel gas. Add 6 oz sea foam to fresh tank of fuel to clean carb.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:09 am

Do you know if the bank angle sensor has been replaced? There is still an open recall on them. Any dealer can verify replacement by VIN #.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

tangman41

Postby tangman41 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:56 am

Thanks for your replies. I will give them a try and see what happens.I had the bike stored at my brothers 100 miles away and he was the one riding it to bring it to me when this started happening.I know on some models if the fuel tank cap is secured at the wrong angle it will kink the hose attached to it and cause the same symptoms,but looking at mine this appears not to be the case.

robb

Postby robb » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:18 am

dingdong wrote:Do you know if the bank angle sensor has been replaced? There is still an open recall on them. Any dealer can verify replacement by VIN #.

Thought of that also but 300 miles in 2 years can stop up the fuel pump.

My 89 has never been replaced and dealer wants a couple hundred to test and replace. Any way to prove open recall so I can take it back to dealer.

philvern3

Postby philvern3 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Hey I have a 88 too. When I was having trouble with my system, the bike would die, the plug on the top of the starter solenoid was the problem, vibration on the plug, it killed the bike in a heartbeat, I hope this helps.....phil

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Go here and scroll down to service bulletin #6 and download.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/used1500.htm
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:10 am

IF thisis happening at SPEED - "While cruising down the highway"
I suspect the Fuel Filter is gummed or clogged. The bike can not supply the fuel demand through a poor filter and at speed it starvesout.Then when stopped it catches up and the bike runs again.
The Old fuel is not helping it, and there may be issues with the carbs as well if it has been sitting too much with no fuel stabilzer.

It MAY be many things, from the vacuum petcock to the fuel pump, however I would start with the easy (and cheap) things first..Fuel filter - check petcock - before moving to carbs & pump. The carbs and system would benifit from using Seafoam in the gas - a heavy dose to start to get the crud loosened and them more every fill up...RUN the bike at speeds often..High RPMs will help clean the internals.

This is of course surmising it is FUEL and not electrical related.
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

tangman41

Postby tangman41 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:56 am

So after removing the panels, what do I find? A MOUSE NEST !!! and of course since they to need to eat they found the closes thing to satisfy there hunger. The wiring harness !! so its off to Radio Shack to get some solder and shrink tubing to repair the damage. Riding it to work today and will pick up some sea foam also to clean fuel system.Hopefully that was the problem.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:46 am

Spoil sport, they were just enjoying the ride too! If you store a bike scatter moth balls under and around your ride to keep away critters. Yea they smell for a little while but it saves wiring problems,cheaper too. Hope you can get your nest cleaned out and your ride running soon.

robb

Postby robb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Took two years to settle an estate before I took possession of my 89. Skipped a little so decided to change oil, plugs and filter. Got top off and there was a squirrell nest on top of filter with 5 pounds of shells. Good thing it was a K&N or it would have rotted through. One can only speculate until we crack em' open.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:12 am

One can only speculate until we crack em' open.

That's what the squirrel was thinking!! :D :roll: :roll: :roll:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Shiny
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate
1988 GL1500

Postby Shiny » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:05 pm

One thing about the bank angle sensor - it won't allow you to restart the bike until you've switched the ignition off and on again. I got pretty good at this maneuver before I had mine replaced - pull clutch, ignition switch off-on, engage clutch, off you go. Also, I understand cheap dryer sheets are the new moth balls. I'm told they work better and certainly smell better. Personally, I've delcared war on the vermin with mouse & rat poison.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Shiny wrote:... Also, I understand cheap dryer sheets are the new moth balls. I'm told they work better and certainly smell better. Personally, I've delcared war on the vermin with mouse & rat poison.

tangman41

Postby tangman41 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:53 am

Ok,added Sea Foam and been riding it to work.44 miles a day and a full tank of fuel has been used up so far. The engine hasn't quit on me yet,but its still running a little rough and bogs down when I "give er".I need to replace the fuel filter yet.I did replace the plugs already.So for the most part I think my stalling out problem is fixed.This week ill find out what recalls need to be addressed,such as the bank sensor.Looking at my posts I see I didn't tell yas that my Bro owned this bike for 22 years and that I bought it from him as he is 69 now and decided that his riding days are over. I haven't rode a bike in some 15 years now and hopping on the Goldwing is much different than my old CB 500. A little intimidating at first but I'm slowly getting the feel of it and getting more comfortable each time I ride.The wife's a little nervous but shes looking forward to our first ride.That wont happen till next summer.I have a ways to go before I'm comfortable having a passenger with me navigating through Milwaukee traffic. There are two switches near the Ign. switch that I cant figure out.They are not in the owners manual. Ones a rheostat type switch and the other is a 3 position switch. (See pics) Also the two lights on each side of the front wheel dont come on and when should they come on and what are they for? Fog lamps? By the way after a spit shine and polish she sure is purdy.
Attachments

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:21 pm

That is a nice bike. I'k guessing the switch on the right is for the lights that are not working. Neither are factory installed so it's hard to say what the other switch is for. The only way to tell is to track down the wires.

st4r50
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500 crashed
2002 GL 1800A

Postby st4r50 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 pm

maybe a rear speaker fader if someone added rear speakers.
KG4USG

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:47 am

Tangman -
We are practically neighbors - I am near Sussex...
If you want someone who has a lot of experience on these 1500's to look it over with you I could perhaps come by (or you come to me?) and we can kick some tires and I will share with you what I can....
Just PM me if you are interested.

tangman41

Postby tangman41 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:10 am

Well So much for the fix. Coming home yesterday the engine just quit,as if I turned off the run switch.After coasting to a stop I turned ign. switch off and on again and it started right up.After reading some other posts I found that there could be several reasons why this is happening. Ecm,Run switch,Batt connection,witch I checked already and the angle bank sensor to witch I need to explore if its been replaced .Now I'm pretty sure its an electrical or Ign. problem of some type. It idles rough,hesitates on take off (not a good thing if I'm making a turn) and bogs down when I go from freeway speeds to full throttle.I rode it about 200 miles since the last time it failed and the harness was repaired so its not going to be an easy find n fix.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:04 pm

I've not had experience with this problem but it sounds to me like the bank angle sensor problem I have read about....The symptoms seem the same and the fact that it restarts after an on off cycle indicates this is resetting...at least to me....

Keef
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Keef » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:25 pm

tangman41 wrote:Ok,added Sea Foam and been riding it to work.44 miles a day and a full tank of fuel has been used up so far. The engine hasn't quit on me yet,but its still running a little rough and bogs down when I "give er".I need to replace the fuel filter yet.I did replace the plugs already.So for the most part I think my stalling out problem is fixed.This week ill find out what recalls need to be addressed,such as the bank sensor.Looking at my posts I see I didn't tell yas that my Bro owned this bike for 22 years and that I bought it from him as he is 69 now and decided that his riding days are over. I haven't rode a bike in some 15 years now and hopping on the Goldwing is much different than my old CB 500. A little intimidating at first but I'm slowly getting the feel of it and getting more comfortable each time I ride.The wife's a little nervous but shes looking forward to our first ride.That wont happen till next summer.I have a ways to go before I'm comfortable having a passenger with me navigating through Milwaukee traffic. There are two switches near the Ign. switch that I cant figure out.They are not in the owners manual. Ones a rheostat type switch and the other is a 3 position switch. (See pics) Also the two lights on each side of the front wheel dont come on and when should they come on and what are they for? Fog lamps? By the way after a spit shine and polish she sure is purdy.

Keef
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Keef » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:36 pm

As far as your lights that look like fog lights. My 97 Aspencade has those on it and they come on when I turn, only....
When I first got this bike, I stopped and got gas. Then started going down the road and she went to dieing on me. When I put the gas cap back
on I had put a KINK in the breather tube coming off the gas cap. No air, No gas, No go! Straightened that out and she ran like a bat out of H__L..

robb

Postby robb » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:22 pm

Three position switch looks like the one for upper fog lights, could have been removed. The dial switch is probably for rear speakers.

tangman41

Postby tangman41 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:51 pm

Well got the Bank angle sensor replaced but living in Wisconsin its been cold so I haven't rode it much.I do know I will be removing the carbs this winter and get them cleaned up,Im tired of the hesitation when taking off.I also saw a recall on this problem also having to do with the vacuum hoses causing hesitation.I will for sure have these a dressed before next spring....Happy riding all you Southerners..

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”