Bias verses Radial Tires

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jazzrider
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Bias verses Radial Tires

Postby jazzrider » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:14 pm

Has any one run radial tires on the GL1500SE?
Wingstuff has a good deal on a pair of radial bridgestones. All the reviews I have read on them are very positive and all like them better than the E3's. I like the E3's just don't like the cupping problem.

tmilam
Motorcycle: 1989, GL1500

Re: Bias verses Radial Tires

Postby tmilam » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:57 am

1500's are not designed for radial tires. Running radials on a bike designed for bias can cause handling problems. Cupping on the tires can be caused by too soft of a suspension. I run Progressive suspension front and rear on my 89 and have no cupping.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:42 am

HAve you considered the Avon Venom tire??

I went to them from the E 3's based on some recommendations here and so far am liking them.

Cupping is related to many things. Here's what Dunlop says about it:

How can I keep my tires from cupping?

You may not be able to entirely avoid cupping. Tire cupping or irregular wear is a somewhat common occurrence on all vehicles. On a four-wheel vehicle, you are advised to rotate your tires periodically to even out wear. Unfortunately, you do not have this luxury with a motorcycle because front and rear tires, unlike those on most four-wheel vehicles, are not interchangeable.
However, there are steps that can be taken to minimize cupping and uneven wear on a motorcycle: Maintain your motorcycle and particularly your front and suspension. Avoid hard braking whenever possible. Braking causes the tire to grab and wear in one direction. When braking is applied to the front tire, the load transfer over-flexes the tire and increases the tendency for cupping and uneven wear. Maintain your tire pressures. Under inflation and overloading of motorcycle tires are significant causes of cupping and uneven wear, particularly in association with hard braking and/or trailer use.
Once a tire begins to show signs of uneven wear, even following these steps may not improve the condition.
Tire companies can, and are, helping to minimize cupping and uneven wear but you, the rider, must do your part. Following the aforementioned guidelines will help avoid uneven wear.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:29 pm

It's not that our bike was not designed for a radial but that radials did not exist when the bike was made. Radials are acceptable if run front and rear together. Have a car tire radial mounted and ready for use at next change to replace radial on rear now.

budavari
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby budavari » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 am

Do yourself a favor and do not run a car tire on a motorcycle. There's a reason they're called car tires. Those tires were designed for cars, not motorcycles. Even the car tire manufacturers advise against running them on bikes. The sidewalls weren't designed to take the load of a motorcycle when you lean it over in a turn or curve. My post here will, no doubt, bring some riders who swear by their car tires on their bikes. I will bet, however, that not one will post here who suffered a catastrophic failure from a car tire. Car tires belong on cars and only cars. Just ask the manufacturer of the car tire and the motorcycle.

jazzrider
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby jazzrider » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:31 am

Thats a good debate but I was asking about radials designed for motorcycles.
Guess I'll stick with the E3's. Was just hoping that someone had run the radials and could tell me if it handled differently.
Thanks to those who responded.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:35 am

jazzrider wrote:Thats a good debate but I was asking about radials designed for motorcycles.
Guess I'll stick with the E3's. Was just hoping that someone had run the radials and could tell me if it handled differently.
Thanks to those who responded.

Were you actually able to find radial tires in GL 1500 sizing??
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

budavari
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby budavari » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:12 am

As far as I know, radials are not made in the sizes required for the 1500 since the 1500 was designed for bias ply tires. This last weekend, Labor Day weekend, I was in Mammoth Lakes, CA for the GWRRA California District Convention and I spoke to a representative from Dunlop about the 1500 tires. She told me that motorcycles are basically designed from the tires up and the 1500 wasn't designed for radials. I had asked her about radials for mine and she told me they aren't made in the 1500's sizes.

robb

Postby robb » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:27 am

Tire is same size for GL1500 and GL1800 on front and went from 160/80-16 to a 180/60-16 for rear. Rear is 1/2" shorter on 1800. The front radial for 1800 rides and last longer than bias on 1500. If rear wheel was 1/2" wider the 180 would be running. Radial motorcycle tires were not around when 1500's were being made, but they will run without issue. Honda dealer put the radial on front because they were out of the bias. Now have 22k on radial and bias rear appears to be wearing better than previous tire.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:50 am

budavari wrote:Do yourself a favor and do not run a car tire on a motorcycle. There's a reason they're called car tires. Those tires were designed for cars, not motorcycles. Even the car tire manufacturers advise against running them on bikes. The sidewalls weren't designed to take the load of a motorcycle when you lean it over in a turn or curve. My post here will, no doubt, bring some riders who swear by their car tires on their bikes. I will bet, however, that not one will post here who suffered a catastrophic failure from a car tire. Car tires belong on cars and only cars. Just ask the manufacturer of the car tire and the motorcycle.

..I guess the 19,000 miles I have on my car tire so far aren't proof enough....?
Asking the tire manufacturer is useless - the threat of lawsuit as well as the potential for lost revenue will keep them signing the company line forever.
Car tires are NOT for every person nor every bike...but there are options for the Goldwing GL1500 and GL1800 for those who would venture out of the convential view.
I can - and have - scraped my pegs while riding on my car tire. I have outrun other Wing riders at Deals Gap - Tail of the Dragon wile they had conventional motorcycle tires and I on a car tire.
There ARE advantages tot he car tire debate...however it is NOT for everyone.

By the way - you can mix radials with bias ply - just not on the same axle - which would not happen on a motorcycle. However - if you choose one type, including those designed for you motorcycle then stay with them.

This is NOT an endorsement of running a car tire rear with a sport bike rear mounted on the front tire..I am only saying it WORKS for me. There are differences in handling, and ride , and longevity that take some getting used to.

If one depends on what the manufacturers tell you ONLY - Why are you running non-Honda oil, filters, seats, brake pads, radios, GPS devices, windscreens, wid wings, highway pegs, trailers, etc. etc....

Looking to make a product a better fit for your personal use is what drives the aftermarket. 8-)

(Disclaimer: Choose what is right for you, by you,and accept the responsibilty for yourself)

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:
budavari wrote:Do yourself a favor and do not run a car tire on a motorcycle. There's a reason they're called car tires. Those tires were designed for cars, not motorcycles. Even the car tire manufacturers advise against running them on bikes. The sidewalls weren't designed to take the load of a motorcycle when you lean it over in a turn or curve. My post here will, no doubt, bring some riders who swear by their car tires on their bikes. I will bet, however, that not one will post here who suffered a catastrophic failure from a car tire. Car tires belong on cars and only cars. Just ask the manufacturer of the car tire and the motorcycle.

..I guess the 19,000 miles I have on my car tire so far aren't proof enough....?
Asking the tire manufacturer is useless - the threat of lawsuit as well as the potential for lost revenue will keep them signing the company line forever.
Car tires are NOT for every person nor every bike...but there are options for the Goldwing GL1500 and GL1800 for those who would venture out of the convential view.
I can - and have - scraped my pegs while riding on my car tire. I have outrun other Wing riders at Deals Gap - Tail of the Dragon wile they had conventional motorcycle tires and I on a car tire.
There ARE advantages tot he car tire debate...however it is NOT for everyone.

By the way - you can mix radials with bias ply - just not on the same axle - which would not happen on a motorcycle. However - if you choose one type, including those designed for you motorcycle then stay with them.

This is NOT an endorsement of running a car tire rear with a sport bike rear mounted on the front tire..I am only saying it WORKS for me. There are differences in handling, and ride , and longevity that take some getting used to.

If one depends on what the manufacturers tell you ONLY - Why are you running non-Honda oil, filters, seats, brake pads, radios, GPS devices, windscreens, wid wings, highway pegs, trailers, etc. etc....

Looking to make a product a better fit for your personal use is what drives the aftermarket. 8-)

(Disclaimer: Choose what is right for you, by you,and accept the responsibilty for yourself)

I, too, run a car tire on the rear of my 93SE and a rear bike tire on the front. I had a car tire on my VTX for many years. Both of the bikes handled differently from stock. It is NOT for everyone as stated above. Do not listen to someone just because THEY say so. Do your own investigation and come up with a plan that works for you. I asked MY insurance agent about any liability issues and he checked into it and came back with nothing. You bike will ride fine on radials. By the way the rear on my bike is a car radial and the front is a rear bike radial tire. If you can find radials and you want them go for it.

dmill1220
Motorcycle: 1988 Gl1500

Postby dmill1220 » Sat May 02, 2015 10:53 am

tmilam wrote:1500's are not designed for radial tires. Running radials on a bike designed for bias can cause handling problems. Cupping on the tires can be caused by too soft of a suspension. I run Progressive suspension front and rear on my 89 and have no cupping.

They have now designed a radial Tire For the Gl1500 WIngs, I have the 1988 model that had a set of Dunlop E3's That needed replacement I just replaced both tires with Shinko Se890s Radials That according to the local dealers are fine on the Gl1500, just never mismatch tire types or tire models .

I now have about 1k miles on my shinko radials and the bike has never handled better, very nimble and no more Wobble on Slow speed turns.
I have extensively researched use of Radials on my GL1500 I also ride two up, Just make sure the tire you pick is designed for the Goldwings and matched for the load ratings and speed ratings I changed my tires last month April 1st 2015 and 1000 miles later no problems at all

robb

Postby robb » Sat May 02, 2015 10:28 pm

My last set of MT's was E3's, more than 20k before replacing.
Shinko is a good tire, not a new brand just a new name, formerly Yokohoma.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/shinko-osaka-story

Randy S
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade 1989 GL1500

Postby Randy S » Sat May 09, 2015 9:12 pm

dmill1220 wrote:
tmilam wrote:1500's are not designed for radial tires. Running radials on a bike designed for bias can cause handling problems. Cupping on the tires can be caused by too soft of a suspension. I run Progressive suspension front and rear on my 89 and have no cupping.

They have now designed a radial Tire For the Gl1500 WIngs, I have the 1988 model that had a set of Dunlop E3's That needed replacement I just replaced both tires with Shinko Se890s Radials That according to the local dealers are fine on the Gl1500, just never mismatch tire types or tire models .

I now have about 1k miles on my shinko radials and the bike has never handled better, very nimble and no more Wobble on Slow speed turns.
I have extensively researched use of Radials on my GL1500 I also ride two up, Just make sure the tire you pick is designed for the Goldwings and matched for the load ratings and speed ratings I changed my tires last month April 1st 2015 and 1000 miles later no problems at all

We just bought a 1500 and put new Shinkos on it to replace old tires. We ride two up and would like to know what tire pressure we should be running. Manual says 41 in back and 36 in front when loaded heavy. On our last bike we were advised to run at pressure listed on tires. New tires the front and rear say 41.

robb

Postby robb » Sat May 09, 2015 9:57 pm

It's not that a GL1500 was not designed for radials, it's that radials did not exist until last few years. There is 0 proof that a radial is bad for any bike.

I got 20k to a set of Elite 3 radials on my wing, far cry from the bias. A 180/60-16 will fit rear of GL1500.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat May 09, 2015 10:05 pm

When radials were introduced to the population, GM noted on one of their models sold here, that it had "RTS" - radial tuned suspension. Otherwise, nothing else seems to have been changed. I used to run radials on my trailers because of the lower rolling resistance, but otherwise no special consideration, except running radials and cross plies on the same axle. My late father-in-law was misled by his servicer, who fitted a mixture of tyres onto his car. I immediately went to the servicer and gave him the rounds of the garage for misleading a non-mechanical savvy customer.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

dmill1220
Motorcycle: 1988 Gl1500

Postby dmill1220 » Sun May 10, 2015 11:40 am

Randy S wrote:
dmill1220 wrote:

We just bought a 1500 and put new Shinkos on it to replace old tires. We ride two up and would like to know what tire pressure we should be running. Manual says 41 in back and 36 in front when loaded heavy. On our last bike we were advised to run at pressure listed on tires. New tires the front and rear say 41.

I run the same for two up riding 36 in front 41 in rear as per the manual just keep an eye on your tire wear and pressures. I always keep mine at the 36F 41 R and have had no problems

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:11 pm

Run the pressure indicated on the tire and keep a close eye on the tread wear. Too much pressure will make a tire wear out in the middle of the tread. Too little pressure will cause the edges of the tread to wear more quickly. Manufacturers always tell you to inflate to a pressure that will give you a smoother ride but will wear tires on the edges. This is more noticeable on car tires because of width but still applies to bikes as well, just not to the extreme of car tires.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Postby ka4yqi » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:00 pm

I put a set of Shinko on the 89 goldwing when they first came out with them. No problem with them, and I ran 41 front and rear, Never had a problem with them. Bike rode great and handle like it was on a rail. I sold the bike with them on it, the fellow is still running them. I got me a 1998 goldwing to replace the 89 and have put 40,000 plus mile on it with the E3s bias with no problems. I use to hear this when I worked for goodyear and firestone when putting radials on cars that came with bias ply tire on them, The wheels were not designed for radial. ( Yes I worked thru the very early years of automotive radials tire. What a time we had with them.) I dont know which way I go with the next set, but thinking about radial front and rear.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:23 am

I ran a set of Avon Cobra radials on my 88, but didn't get very good mileage out of the rear one, so when I changed I went back to bias and Kenda Kruz front and rear. I am running my second set of Kendas on my 99 with good handling, ride and mileage. I just put on a new set after 18000 miles. Someone said a 180 would fit the rear of the 1500.... Has anyone tried it?
Bill

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:58 am

OK, I'll toss my HAT in this ring.
I've had double bias tires, double radials, bias front with radial rear AND vise-versa. I had no issues in any tire type combination.
It's almost a fallacy where some CLAIM it's not good yet never tried it themselves. Seems they're commenting on what others said OR!!! road it once for 500 feet and didn't like it. The only, I said ONLY issue someone would have with mismatched tires are road racers.
DING
Do yourself a favor and GO AHEAD and run a car tire on a motorcycle.
Since the first car tire on a GoldWing onward to-date, no one has ever had or heard of one causing an accident, other than the usual external item causing a flat tire which happens to ANY tire that holds air for its inflation.
DING
With all the miles accumulated of all motorcycles running car tires, there has got to be over a billion miles by now. IS THAT NOT ENOUGH SUCCESSFUL enough testing for you Nay-Sayers?
DING
Just one more thang, EXPERIENCE overshadows designers and keyboard pounders.
DING
OK, floodgates are open for debate[s]. :roll:
DING DING DING DING DING
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:04 am

This thread is pretty old. I was still working when I posted.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:06 am

FM-USA wrote:OK, I'll toss my HAT in this ring.
I've had double bias tires, double radials, bias front with radial rear AND vise-versa. I had no issues in any tire type combination.
It's almost a fallacy where some CLAIM it's not good yet never tried it themselves. Seems they're commenting on what others said OR!!! road it once for 500 feet and didn't like it. The only, I said ONLY issue someone would have with mismatched tires are road racers.
DING
Do yourself a favor and GO AHEAD and run a car tire on a motorcycle.
Since the first car tire on a GoldWing onward to-date, no one has ever had or heard of one causing an accident, other than the usual external item causing a flat tire which happens to ANY tire that holds air for its inflation.
DING
With all the miles accumulated of all motorcycles running car tires, there has got to be over a billion miles by now. IS THAT NOT ENOUGH SUCCESSFUL enough testing for you Nay-Sayers?
DING
Just one more thang, EXPERIENCE overshadows designers and keyboard pounders.
DING
OK, floodgates are open for debate[s]. :roll:
DING DING DING DING DING

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:22 am

LOL!!!+!

I usually toss in a pix, miss that opportunity. BUT you nailed it. ;)
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:28 am

vtxcandyred wrote:This thread is pretty old. I was still working when I posted.

Looks like it was rejuvenated.
For round 2. DING :lol:

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”