93 radio problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
macdaddykeith
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

93 radio problem

Postby macdaddykeith » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:28 pm

I have an issue and before I do anything expensive, I was wondering if anyone could give me some help.
I have a 93 Aspencade. The CB works fine. The tape works fine. The AM radio works fine. The FM radio will change channels, is not muted, and shows stations. The issue is there is no sound from the station. If you turn the volume up, you can hear static or white noise. For some reason, the tuner is not locking the stations in. Tried moving the connector plug, unplugging and installing the antenna again. Lost for reason. How about some help from the gurus here.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 93 radio problem

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:42 am

How strong are the AM stations? If you tune to an AM station, then disconnect the antenna, does the AM stop working as well? If that's the case, then there is likely something gone wrong inside the radio itself, and it's probably time to get in touch with Wayne at Sierra-MC (they repair them). If AM keeps working fine when you disconnect the antenna, then there may be something wrong with the antenna, antenna cable, or something internally in the radio.

macdaddykeith

Postby macdaddykeith » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:45 pm

I have a long weekend to work on it. I will try that in the morning.

macdaddykeith

Postby macdaddykeith » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:42 am

I didn't get to work on it on the weekend that I had hoped. I did work on it this weekend though. I turned on the AM radio and had a station on and then unplugged the antenna. The radio station went to static. I plugged the antenna back up and it came back on. I guess the FM part is messed up. I will look into getting it fixed. Right now, I just put the tape adapter in and hook it to iHeart radio on my phone and listen to that. I also noticed that on the CB side that I can key the mike and talk and you can hear me on the CB but when they try to answer, I cannot hear it through the speakers or the headset. Is this controlled through the radio too?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:46 am

macdaddykeith wrote:I didn't get to work on it on the weekend that I had hoped. I did work on it this weekend though. I turned on the AM radio and had a station on and then unplugged the antenna. The radio station went to static. I plugged the antenna back up and it came back on. I guess the FM part is messed up. I will look into getting it fixed. Right now, I just put the tape adapter in and hook it to iHeart radio on my phone and listen to that. I also noticed that on the CB side that I can key the mike and talk and you can hear me on the CB but when they try to answer, I cannot hear it through the speakers or the headset. Is this controlled through the radio too?

No, the CB is completely separate. Can you turn the squelch all the way off and hear static noise on the CB?

macdaddykeith

Postby macdaddykeith » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:53 am

I can hear static, but not any talk or chatter. I have tried all channels. I was sitting beside my truck that is equipped with a CB and it did not matter what channel they were on, I still couldn't hear anything on the bike.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”