The Grimlin miss is solved

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
giturgun
Motorcycle: 88 1500 gl

The Grimlin miss is solved

Postby giturgun » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:33 am

Last week I took out to Kentucky , I started having an intermittant miss at no certain rpm, norough nor smooth road, no certain gear, but almost always when moving. I bypassed the Bank angle sensor and that did nothing except maby some day it won't bother me.
I decided to start at the easiest points and work through the problem 1 stepat a time. So the easiest was the clutch, sidestand, neutral switches. :D
I started with the sidestand, Put the bike on the centerstand and just started it up to let it run and get hot, my problem seemed to be heat related. :o

:idea: :idea: :idea: I pulled in the clutch and with the side stand down put the bike in gear . Stopped as it should, Put the stand up and put it in gear, still no problem. So I wrapped a tiedown strap around the lever and started to play with the gear shift wiggling the wires and the gear lever while the bike idled with the clutch disengaged. I got to the sidestand and pulled the wireand it missed a couple of licks, so I pulled again, no miss. :roll:
i pulled a little harder and it quit so now i had a place to actually start looking closer. I would pull and it would miss or stall,so I gave a pretty good pull and it quit altogether, Hah U little Grimlin monster. Now it would start and run in neutral but soon as the shift lever went to 1 or 2 it just quit. No starter operation in gear with the clutch pulled either. :P :P :P :P
Removed the false tank top and reverse lever, seatbolts and hand rails and there was the problem, the green connector was unplugged. I replugged and all worked fine.
Maby had knocked it loose about 3 4 weeks ago when the Alt brush stuck and had to fix that, May have been loose for a long time and working around it just loosened it up enought to start giving trouble.
Anyway it is fixed now , about 20 miles and no miss. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Now the Grimlin has moved to the front wheel bearings, I was going to put a new front on ( old Mich Pilot rear darkside ) has about 14000 on it and no tread left on the sides at all.. Front wheel bearings are gone now, I got to order them and maybe a new set of pads for The old lady. Thee Grimlin ate my rear disk last week and I put on a new disk, pads and bled the system , I have the best brakes I have ever had on the wing now, EBC rocks HH pads will be all around soon as the front goes back on.
By the way the Dunlop wintersport run flat on the rear is way cool and with the same 14000 as the front is maby just a little more than 1/2 worn down. The sides are holding up very good. :D :D :D :D :D :D
I still am a happy camper on that swap and will continue to run on the darkside.

[b]The Phantom gray is not the fastest wing color , But it has been known to slip by quickly and appear in front of faster colors at times[/b]

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: The Grimlin miss is solved

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:38 am

Excellent troubleshooting, and glad to hear you got it fixed. My front wheel bearings are in need of attention as well, I've put both my front and rear wheel bearings on my "to do" list for winter maintenance this year.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:04 pm

What tire and size is your rear.

giturgun

Postby giturgun » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:33 am

:D :D :D :D :D 175 / 60 / 16 The wintersport ROF (run on flat)

I run about 38 to 42 lb pressure in this and it rides great. I have been running a rear Michelin Pilot on the front and it is 1 amazing tire . Mileage was great wear is good altho the sides wore to no tread and I still have some right down the center.
Do be advised the car tire will ride a little different till U get used to the low speed quirks take it easy.
I am going to try the Austin taxi tire if this one ever wears out. and after this front is gone I will always run the front DS option also.
I purchased this tire and did not look at it I just said I wanted a Battleax rear and somehow wound up with a front.
The Michelin rear is the exact size as a standard front so the speedo is still right on.
[b]The Phantom gray is not the fastest wing color , But it has been known to slip by quickly and appear in front of faster colors at times[/b]

giturgun

Postby giturgun » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 am

I am going to replace the rear at my next tire change. Have U noticed any handling oddities with the front bearings going south???

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”