gl1500 clutch line

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
donhiatt
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500 Champion Trike

gl1500 clutch line

Postby donhiatt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:20 am

I have a gl1500 converted to a champion trike.Here is my post-check your clutch fluid line where it connects into the slave cylinder.What happened to mine was somehow the line move over about a 1/4 of a inch and rubbed a hole in the line.lost all the clutch fliud and had to replace the line from the clutch lever to the slave cylinder.
I spend $45 for a new line on the internet.dealer wanted $65.
Dealer quote to replace line was $345 !!!
I did it myself -- took 1/2 day as I had not done this before.
Consisted in removal of half the plastic on the left side of the bike- thats the only way to snake the new line in-- and the takes a few minutes to bleed the system.
I looked on the internet and got great videos and detail information on how to do this job.
I suggest anyone having a goldwing of ant year climb under the bike and inspect the clutch line-- you can see if you are going to have a problem.If you loose this line on the road you are screwed.
don
boise idaho

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Re: gl1500 clutch line

Postby Sempai » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:22 am

donhiatt wrote:...If you loose this line on the road you are screwed.

I'm not trying to shoot you, nor anyone else down here. I did a write-up and video on a technique to help bikers that succumb to clutch activation issues. Please take the time to read my write-up and watch the video. I'm a little guy with short legs, so I chose to make the video with my baby bike, but I assure you, it works on GoldWings, too...I used the technique on my '94 GWing SE early last year when its clutch hose burst just below the master cylinder.

This technique causes ZERO ill effects to your clutch, transmission gears, driveshaft, etc. Get out and practice doing it from time to time, and if you ever NEED to to it, not only will you be able to, but you'll be able to do it without grinding any gears or even clunking into gear at all. With enough practice, you will be able to ride the bike (without using the clutch) almost as if there was nothing wrong with the bike.

Please look into this:
viewtopic.php?t=11023&p=53585
Keep the rubber side down.

donhiatt

Postby donhiatt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:38 pm

ok however if you have no clutch-- you are screwed i don not care how good you are at shifting with out clutch lever engaged -- you still need a clutch when starting from scratch or starting on a hill or with a trailer.
don
boise idaho

Sempai

Postby Sempai » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 pm

donhiatt wrote:ok however if you have no clutch-- you are screwed i don not care how good you are at shifting with out clutch lever engaged -- you still need a clutch when starting from scratch or starting on a hill or with a trailer.
don
boise idaho

I'm not quite sure what you are contesting here. So I feel I must clarify: For the clutchless shifting technique to work, your CLUTCH must still be ENGAGED, so, yeah the CLUTCH is still in working condition. This technique is only useful if you cannot APPLY your clutch due to clutch cable failure, or master cylinder or hydraulic line or slave cylinder failure.

As for the necessity of said clutch when starting from scratch, I beg to differ. Watch the video. I made it very apparent that the bike was NOT in gear while I was at a dead stop, and you can clearly see in the video that I did NOT use the clutch while I started moving from a stop...and you can hear that I did NOT grind the gears, nor did I throttle up and clunk it in.

Starting out whilst going uphill is easy if your bike's starter motor will engage any time your clutch lever is pulled, not so easy to do if you have to walk it...For reasons such as this, if you're experiencing clutch failure, you'll need to amend your regular riding habits and consider taking a route with fewer mandatory stops, fewer uphill stops, etc. As you find yourself riding clutchless, you can adjust your approach speeds to those pesky red lights, slow down, you can bring the bike to a snail's pace to avoid having to STOP for the traffic light. Don't worry about the car(s) behind you, on surface streets, there is no minimum speed requirement, and if someone rear-ends you, well, that's likely to fix your clutch problem with a whole new bike.

Get out there and try this. It is quite easy and will inevitably lengthen your clutch life.

donhiatt

Postby donhiatt » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:59 am

you must live in a different world than i do-- good luck with your no clutch program!!!
maybe you have a clutchless bike!!
you should make a million.
don
boise id

Sempai

Postby Sempai » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:49 am

donhiatt wrote:you must live in a different world than i do-- good luck with your no clutch program!!!
maybe you have a clutchless bike!!
you should make a million.
don
boise id

Dude. Watch the video: viewtopic.php?t=11023&p=53585

donhiatt

Postby donhiatt » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:54 pm

sorry you still don not get it!
No more e-mails DUDE!!!