GL1500 94 dash digital display defective

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
mxl8a
Motorcycle: 94 se

GL1500 94 dash digital display defective

Postby mxl8a » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me :) I own a 94 GWing SE and one day, the digital display on the dashboard started going bad (see pictures) At first, it was only the right portion that was the problem (preventing some digits to be displayed) but as time went by, the rest of the display began fading out... I imagine there must have been a crack of some sort in the case and now air/humidity seems to be entering the interior of the unit.
My question is: Is there a way to only replace the digital display portion or do I need to replace the whole cluster?

OK here is another question ;) If the display can be replaced by its own, any idea where I can get my hands on used/refurbished units? I need a few components for my bike and have never shop online. I live near Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada and don't know a good source for used/recycled parts around here.
Attachments

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: GL1500 94 dash digital display defective

Postby trike lady » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
You can buy the LCD display separately.
Salvage yards in Canada may be able to help you.
http://www.goldwingking.com/
http://www.straightwings.com/
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:10 pm

It's a fairly common failure on the GL1500's, it happens when the glass layers of the LCD delaminate, and it is fatal - it can't be fixed. The LCD has to be replaced.

I don't know if it's still available as a new replacement from Honda, but even if it is, you won't like the price. Your best bet is a salvage yard, or eBay.

Here's one on eBay, with "buy it now" price of $300, and current bid is $127:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-00-Goldwing- ... 2b&vxp=mtr

Some people try to keep this from happening by "sealing" the edges of their LCD panels. I don't know if this works at all or not.

macdaddykeith
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby macdaddykeith » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 am

Mine has also failed just like this one. I have been watching eBay and have found that the price seems to be the same for the entire gauge display and just the LCD screen. I just bought one for $214. It is the entire gauge assembly and figure that I can keep it because I may need something else as I go along.

mxl8a

Postby mxl8a » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi everyone,
Thanks to all of you that contributed so far. I'll look around to see if I can find a used unit in a salvage yard nearby (or somewhat nearby) as suggested by Trike lady. I've never dealt on Ebay yet (I'll have to join the 21st century eventually :-) so it might be easier for me to work with a dealer. I'll see.
The unit referenced by WingAdmin sold for $280 (I think). I found a full cluster (as suggested by MacdaddyKeith which is currently sold for $123 (but we are 4+ days away from the deadline; maybe I should learn to use Ebay :-(

On a side topic, does anyone have a good trick to refresh a dull winshield? Mine is very worn and when I drive facing the sun, I can barely see through it. I was wondering if this can be fixed or should I consider a replacement...?

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:43 pm

All I can suggest for the screen is some Silvo http://www.ehow.com/about_6365683_silvo ... ation.html. Take the screen off the bike and while watching the TV on a cold wet winters day (which you guys are going into), put a bit of silvo on some soft cloth and work slowly a small section of the screen at a time. The silvo will cut out fine scratches and buff up the rest of the screen. Do both sides and when completed give the screen a wash in warm soapy water then dry off (the screen not you), and polish with pledge or some car polish. Don't spill the silvo on the carpet ........ life won't be worth living. :evil:

Don't use Brasso as it is too abrasive.

Hopes this helps.

mxl8a

Postby mxl8a » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Thanks Kiwi2. I'll try this out once the biking season is over (which should be in a month or so..)
There should be many cold wet evenings for this fun activity (while sitting in front of the fireplace :| ).

macdaddykeith
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby macdaddykeith » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:10 pm

So, this weekend, I installed my LED display in my bike and had a little snafu. I ordered the entire gauge cluster off ebay and it looked the same at a glance. I tried to just switch out my entire set with the one that I bought. It did not work. The LED worked, but when I turned on the key switch, I noticed that some of the lower lights did not work. So, I replaced all of the bulbs and tried again. Same thing. So, I cranked the bike. The tach was reading about 200 RPMs higher than normal. It was running normal, but reading higher. I unplugged it and went inside. After a closer inspection, I noticed that on my top rear case, it was marked A SE and the other one was marked A. I also noticed that where the wires connect in the back of the tach that my normal one had two wires and the one that I bought had three wires. So, I took out both speedometers and tach and placed aside. I swapped out my bad LCD with the good one and put the right speedometer and tach back in and took it out to the bike. This time when I turned on the key, the LCD came on and the lower lights came as they were supposed to. I cranked the bike and the RPM gauge was reading correctly. Everything is good now. I think that the cluster that I bought came out of a 89 and mine is a 93. I guess there is a difference in the setups of the gauges and it does make a difference. Be sure if you buy one on ebay, that you see a pic of the top rear side above the speedometer and you get a good look at the wire connections for the tach on the back. They are in between the two screws that hold the tach in place. I have put the other set back together and I am going to put it on ebay. It has a bad LCD that has leaked on the right and top side but the rest of the gauge cluster is fine and I can make back some of the money that I have invested. I hope this helps someone else.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”