beads in tires

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
rlsapp
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing Aspencade

beads in tires

Postby rlsapp » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:13 pm

I have Elite 3 tires on my bike and I didnt put the balancing beads in the tires, but they were balanced by dealer when I put them on with the tire/rim weights. I have noticed that the front is beginning to bounce at slowed speeds while it is cold. My question is, is it to late to put the beads in the tire/rims and regain the smooth ride back?

Captain422
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: beads in tires

Postby Captain422 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:29 pm

Dyna Beads work well to balance the tires regardless of mileage. Assuming you have no other issues with the tires that are causing them to "bounce" they will balance the tires each time you begin to ride. If you install the Dyna Beads you will need to remove the balancing weights from your rims that were installed by the dealer. I have them in a set of Avons and I am very well pleased with them.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:09 am

Captain422 wrote:Dyna Beads work well to balance the tires regardless of mileage. Assuming you have no other issues with the tires that are causing them to "bounce" they will balance the tires each time you begin to ride. If you install the Dyna Beads you will need to remove the balancing weights from your rims that were installed by the dealer. I have them in a set of Avons and I am very well pleased with them.

There is no reason to remove the weights when adding the beads! The beads will "enhance" the balance already there.
Sure, you can remove them if you want to but, it's not mandatory!
OP what does "beginning to bouncing" mean? Is it cupping? What pressure do you run? How many miles on it?
Out of curiosity, any chance you have changed fork oil recently? Reason: to much fork oil can cause the front forks to "pogo stick"(bounce). Just wondering?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:27 am

tfdeputydawg wrote:There is no reason to remove the weights when adding the beads! The beads will "enhance" the balance already there.
Sure, you can remove them if you want to but, it's not mandatory!
OP what does "beginning to bouncing" mean? Is it cupping? What pressure do you run? How many miles on it?
Out of curiosity, any chance you have changed fork oil recently? Reason: to much fork oil can cause the front forks to "pogo stick"(bounce). Just wondering?

Correct - as long as the weights are reasonably close to correct balance, you can just add the beads and leave the weights.

I have two weights on my tires - both of them are offset 180 degrees from my tire valves, as I have steel tire valves and tire pressure sensors hanging off them. The weights help offset that weight, so the tires are closer to being balanced. The beads then have less "work" to do.

I have them in my truck as well - the instructions tell you to put them in the tires and leave the original weights in place. I did that, and the vibration was so bad that the truck was undriveable above 30 mph or so. I then took ALL of the weights off the wheels (and there were a lot of them), and it rode as smooth as glass (and has ever since), using just the beads.

rlsapp

Postby rlsapp » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:18 pm

I have checked the air pressure in each tire and they are at normal riding pressure rated on the tires. I have not replaced the oil in the front forks as of now, because I'm now sure how to, but it should not be that hard to.

Captain422

Postby Captain422 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:53 pm

The responses by tfdeputydawg and WingAdmin seem entirely logical but the Innovative Balancing website (the company that produces the product) states that the weights should be removed from the rims on motorcycles.
I contacted Innovative Balance Customer Service for clarification. Here are my questions and responses from them.

Question to Customer Service:
There is some discussion on the Goldwing Docs forum regarding the necessity of removing wheel weights when installing Dyna Beads in motorcycle tires. Your website states they should be removed from motorcycles and scooters but not cars and trucks. Please clarify for us the reason the wheel weights should be removed from motorcycle rims.

Answer:
"We only leave the weights on cars and trucks that have lateral imbalance. With Motorcycles it is not an issue. The inside of a MC tire is shaped differently, it has an oval bottom. In trucks and cars the
tires are wide and Flat.This may help understanding the reasoning and why no weights are needed with MC's"
THANK YOU,
CAROL
DYNA BEADS
(TEL)585-467-6028
(FAX)585-336-9397
http://www.dynabeads.com

My second email:
Carol,
Thank you for your reply. The website FAQ question is "Do I need to remove the weights from the rims". The answer is - Motorcycles and Scooters -YES and Cars -No.
I guess the discussion centers around the question of necessity to remove the weights or if it is just an option at the riders discretion. I would like to know if there is a scientific reasoning to make it recommended or necessary, or if it is just rider preference or optional.
Your website says it is necessary while others say it makes no difference.
What is your company's position or recommendation.

Response from Customer Service:
"Yes there is, you are using two different types of balancing, in this case more is not better. The weights are stationary, so the Beads are trying to make up for that weight and not allowed to work on the tire problem.
Then you ask well what if I use more? More is not better.
If you leave the weights on less is better. That is what we call maintenance. However that maintenance amount for MC is so small that if you lost a weight you can not re balance with the Beads inside to set the stationary weight again. They work against each other.
THANK YOU,
CAROL

DYNA BEADS
(TEL)585-467-6028
(FAX)585-336-9397

Honestly, I'm not sure I got the clarification I was looking for.

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Captain422 wrote:The responses by tfdeputydawg and WingAdmin seem entirely logical but the Innovative Balancing website (the company that produces the product) states that the weights should be removed from the rims on motorcycles.
I contacted Innovative Balance Customer Service for clarification. Here are my questions and responses from them.

Question to Customer Service:
There is some discussion on the Goldwing Docs forum regarding the necessity of removing wheel weights when installing Dyna Beads in motorcycle tires. Your website states they should be removed from motorcycles and scooters but not cars and trucks. Please clarify for us the reason the wheel weights should be removed from motorcycle rims.

Answer:
"We only leave the weights on cars and trucks that have lateral imbalance. With Motorcycles it is not an issue. The inside of a MC tire is shaped differently, it has an oval bottom. In trucks and cars the
tires are wide and Flat.This may help understanding the reasoning and why no weights are needed with MC's"
THANK YOU,
CAROL
DYNA BEADS
(TEL)585-467-6028
(FAX)585-336-9397

My second email:
Carol,
Thank you for your reply. The website FAQ question is "Do I need to remove the weights from the rims". The answer is - Motorcycles and Scooters -YES and Cars -No.
I guess the discussion centers around the question of necessity to remove the weights or if it is just an option at the riders discretion. I would like to know if there is a scientific reasoning to make it recommended or necessary, or if it is just rider preference or optional.
Your website says it is necessary while others say it makes no difference.
What is your company's position or recommendation.

Response from Customer Service:
"Yes there is, you are using two different types of balancing, in this case more is not better. The weights are stationary, so the Beads are trying to make up for that weight and not allowed to work on the tire problem.
Then you ask well what if I use more? More is not better.
If you leave the weights on less is better. That is what we call maintenance. However that maintenance amount for MC is so small that if you lost a weight you can not re balance with the Beads inside to set the stationary weight again. They work against each other.
THANK YOU,
CAROL

DYNA BEADS
(TEL)585-467-6028
(FAX)585-336-9397

Honestly, I'm not sure I got the clarification I was looking for.

Nothing like a definate maybe!!!!!!!!!

Captain422

Postby Captain422 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:54 pm

"vtxcandyred" wrote
Nothing like a definate maybe!!!!!!!!!

I am absolutely positively certain that I know both less and more about the question in question than I did before the question was answered. :lol: :roll:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:41 am

I left the one weight on my wheel directly opposite the valve stem/tire pressure sensor. This was to balance the WHEEL, not the tire. That way I knew I was starting out with a balanced wheel before I put the tire on. The beads work at balancing any irregularities in the tire, and don't have to overcome what I already know is an imbalance caused by the wheel stem and TPMS sensor.

rlsapp

Postby rlsapp » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:57 pm

Got some good feedback, I'm going to try it with the weights on, and if it rides worse, I will remove the tire/rim weights. Do any of you know they best place to buy them?

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Captain422

Postby Captain422 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:16 pm

You can also buy them from Rocky Mountain ATV. I have always gotten great service from them.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/searc ... DYNA+BEADS

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”