halogen cornering lights?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
furnacedoc
Motorcycle: 1981 suzuki GS850
1997 1500SE gold wing

halogen cornering lights?

Postby furnacedoc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Hello, I am looking to replace the bulbs in my cornering lights to something brighter. The previous owner had a swith installed so that one way is cornering lights and switched the other way and they are running lights. so i want to put in something to give more light, any suggestions?????
see ya on the road.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: halogen cornering lights?

Postby robb » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:22 pm

No matter what brighter bulb is used, if the turn lense are used the greater light will still go to the side. Can change to driving lense (clear lense) and see better in front but light is 15-20 feet ahead of where cornering lense direct the light. Have tried both ways and went back to cornering because they add so much more safety when turning at night. I like to took out a mailbox that was not visible without turning lamps. As you can see in my photo I use driving lights under the headlights and am happy and safe driving at night.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Re: halogen cornering lights?

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Change them to LED running lights and add driving lights for additional brightness.
The current housing will not fare well under excess heat from brighter hot lights..and the wiring may not be able to handle the extra load either...

Add driving lights with a switch on a relay . I added a set of Burners from Wal*mart that are 55 watts each (110 watts of forward facing extra light) and can light up the night whenever I want ..

Relay under right hand pocket

Switch on handlebar (box now contains additional and a temp display) box is a Radio Shack project box - plastic and seals reasoonably well to weather conditions.

Wiring diagram

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”