air horns

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
g/wbikebuddy
Motorcycle: 1996 gl1500 Aspencade

air horns

Postby g/wbikebuddy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:22 pm

i am thinking of installing a set of air horns on my gw. i would like to keep the original horn and switch and install a separate switch for the horns, and wonder is there decent way to mount the switch? i welcome any of your thoughts
thank you

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: air horns

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 pm

I have air horns on my bike - they're mounted externally on the right side, with the compressor mounted to the frame right behind them, inside the lower fairing. I was going to take them off when I got the bike, as I didn't particularly like the look of them - but they are SO LOUD, I couldn't bring myself to do it. They're a pain to remove every time I need to remove the lower fairing, but they work really well.

They were wired up as the only horn, the factory horns were disconnected. I changed this, so that the factory horn button actuated a 30 amp relay. This relay fed a high-current feed directly from the battery, and that feed runs the air horn compressor as well as BOTH factory horns, all at the same time. That way I retain the original horn functionality, I get the instant-on of the factory horns (instead of the 1/4 second ramp-up of the air horns as the compressor spins up), as well as the loudness of the air horns.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:04 pm

I too had air horns on my bike when I bought it. Didn't particularly care for the look and as WingAdmin mentioned added extra work when things had to be removed.

I removed them permanently. The previous owner used a cheap rocker on/off switch and cut a hole in the top shelter to mount it. I wasn't too happy about that. Bit of a butcher job. I would have thought a momentary contact switch would have been better than the rocker.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:23 pm

g/wbikebuddy wrote:i am thinking of installing a set of air horns on my gw. i would like to keep the original horn and switch and install a separate switch for the horns, and wonder is there decent way to mount the switch? i welcome any of your thoughts
thank you

I knew it was on the site somewhere about air horns fitted to Gold Wings viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9378

I think that this is what you are looking for.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”