Need new tires

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jrhubbard
Motorcycle: 1996 GL 1500

Need new tires

Postby jrhubbard » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:20 am

I just bought a '96 SE and need new tires, what will I be most happy with?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Need new tires

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:17 am

That's like asking us to tell you what your favorite flavor of ice cream is. :)

Personally, I am a big fan of Avon Venoms/Cobras. I've had them both on my GL1100 and now my GL1500. They are very smooth, quiet tires, quite sticky with excellent traction, long-wearing, and great in wet weather.

I'm sure you'll get other replies from other people with different opinions.

jrhubbard

Postby jrhubbard » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:24 am

WingAdmin wrote:That's like asking us to tell you what your favorite flavor of ice cream is. :)

Personally, I am a big fan of Avon Venoms/Cobras. I've had them both on my GL1100 and now my GL1500. They are very smooth, quiet tires, quite sticky with excellent traction, long-wearing, and great in wet weather.

I'm sure you'll get other replies from other people with different opinions.

That is true, but I look forward to the different opinions to better make my decision. Everybody has a thought on what is most important, ride, long lasting, noise, this information should make it easier to shell out the money for new tires.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:29 am

A lot depends on how you ride....miles per year, highways, vs back roads, etc.

However - there are not a LOT of reall good choices right now for the 1500 as I know it...

Here are my general impressions of a few popular choices based on extensive reading about them, personal first hand knowledge, or close personal friends opinions...

Avon Venom X's - one of the better options at this point. These tires like to be run at high PSI so MAX them out to what the sidewall says. Excellent handling, and good longevity wet or dry. May feel a bit hard..because they are.

Dunlop EIII's- Great longevity - in excess of 20K miles in some cases. Hard tire with good traction. A very popular choice but tend to get noisy and experience some cupping. Not the most aawesome in gripping but not bad either. Very common tire for Goldwingers.

Bridgestone - Excedra 701 & 702 (Front & rear) - Great looking tire and rides well. Sticks to the road in all conditions. Longevity reports are mixed as this tire is newer to the market for these large heavy bikes.

Metzeler ME880 - Lots to like about this tire. Good longevity and grip combined with good ride however reports of splitting put this tire on my 'No thanks' list. Some have reported good results with this tire but others ...?

These are largely my opinions, based on years of riding the 1500, and reading on a variety of Golwding message boards. Best of luck...For me it boils down to the Avon Venoms, or the Bridgestones, but I will not need new tires until next summer so I have time to wait for more information on the 'Stones.

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:10 pm

I have a Bridgestone Battle Axe on the front and a Dunlop Wintersport run flat on the rear. I am a double darksider though. #947

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Dunlop Elite III on front with near 23k is starting to cup, Bridgestone BT-45 rear should be here this week. Maxiss on back with 10k+ will also be replaced with a Michelin Agilis car tire.

Captain422
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby Captain422 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:44 pm

I replaced my Dunlop E3's with Avon Venoms. I have about 3000 miles on them and absolutely love them. Great traction in the corners and on wet pavement. They are quiet and seem to be wearing very well. I am extremely pleased with the choice.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm sold on Avon tires.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:53 pm

I loved the Avon Venoms on my 1100,3 sets in 3 years, I had E3's on my 1500 and hate them, noisy, slipped easily in the wet, and with a little effort on dry pavement. I am running the Austone Taxi tire on the rear (car tire,Darksider) just waiting to finish wearing out the E3 on the front and will probably go with the Avon up front. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:09 am

I purposely avoided the car tire - darkside debate when answering the tire question and offereing my opinions.

I too am running Double Dark right now on the 1500.
I have one of the last known Vredestein Comtrac 175-75 on the rear, and the BattlAx BT45 reversed on the front.

Rear tire - 19,500 miles so far and the rear still looks almost new. It is a 6 ply bias tire that started with 11/32 tread and pretty stiff while still delivering a very smooth ride. It is rated up to 69lbs PSI and I run it at 44 with even tread wear across the entire flat. Cornering and handling are almost not affected however as with any car tire rear on a Goldwing you must continue to steer (drive) all the way through a corner as the rer wants to stand up. I am pleased with my choice of this rear tire.

Front tire - same mileage but not as wonderful results. Currrently it is cupped pretty badly and bounces at 30 MPH due to the irregularities of the tread blocks. It still ahs a lot of tread depth adn that is the disappointment as I will be replacing it in spring prematurely I think. Great traction and a smooth ride running it at 41 PSI. But I think the dual compound formula for it's design as a sport bike REAR tire acts adversly as a front tire. The sides wear well before the center harder rubber compound and that creates the cupping problem. The front tire withstands different dynamics than the rear ..all this is my opinion based on my experience...

The very BEST tires EVER made for the 1500 were the Michelin Pilot GTs. I burned through 3 sets of these over the years averaging 17,000 miles per set. If they were still being made I would never try anything else..they were great.... :cry:

jrhubbard

Postby jrhubbard » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Ok, tell me more about the "Darkside", are car tires really better?

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:25 pm

jrhubbard wrote:Ok, tell me more about the "Darkside", are car tires really better?

This is an ongoing topic. Go to http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/and see. Its not for everyone. I've been darkside since my 02VTX and now my 93SE. To each his own.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:44 pm

jrhubbard wrote:Ok, tell me more about the "Darkside", are car tires really better?

It is not for everyone..It is different and you will hear a lot of differeing opinions on how well or not well it works....Do a lot of research before trying this..you must be convinced of it on your own as it is your butt if things go wrong....Universal disclaimer.

That being said here is what and why I tried it.
I was changing tires 1.5 times per year at the rate I put on miles.
It was getting aggravating, and expensive and I had heard about this Darkside thing from others who had done it on theri 1800's. I ride a 1500 and thought it would not work so I started looking aroaund and found that others have done it so I looked some more.
My bike is in a great state of tune, and I work on it a lot.
I installed a new ZERO mile final drive at 85,000 miles as the other one was wearing badly thanks to a previous owners neglect. The suspension is all Progressives, and I changed and lube and moly fluids and lubricants regularly. I am confident in my maintenance schedule and my bike.
Advantages as I see them (and have experienced them)
1) Higher gross weight carrying capacity of the tires. (Not really an issue asI ride almost always solo)
2) Lower aggregated cost over time - Darkside tires were about the same price..but have lasted longer - to be determined as I am stil riding them.
3) Smooth ride (softer) and better braking (wider contact patch).
4) Rides better on highways and roadways - those little cracks you feel on motorccyle tirs seem to disappear on the car tires.
5) Greater wet traction - Experienced riding the Dragon in June in the rain and still dragging pegs. Take offs are hard to spin a tire.

Downside
1) You will need to get used to a different feel. The turn in is slightly delayed almost like you get a little "push" (think race car) from the rear.
2) You will need to continue to steer through a corner as the car tire wants to stand up (with the bike tire you can set it and forget it as you carve a corner in my experience)
3) The rear tire will feel the cracks and uneven surfaces and push you around a little if they are parrallel to the track you are running. Nothing bad..but you feel it and it can be a bit un-nerving.

These are the things I can think of right off the top of my head...If Michelin still made the Pilot GTs I would've never tried this...in fact...I may go back to motorcycle tires when it is time to change these out..probably another 25K miles....So at that point my bike will be near 150K, adn I will ahve used 3 tires to go 50K about...not 3 sets - 3 tires (2 front 1 rear).

I am looking at the Bridgestones - but would use Avon Venom X's without question....

Do your research.... :!:

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:32 am

Came across this on the Australian Michelin site, so it may also apply in other countries also. The graph at the front is interesting, showing the differences in the Michelin range.

The website is, and the PDF is about 5 Mb, so be aware of the size:

http://motorcycle.michelin.com.au/Home/ ... Price-List
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

rtaylor137
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Postby rtaylor137 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:49 pm

I recently installed a Michelin Run-Flat on my '93 GL 1500. More stable, smoother and quieter that a regular motorcycle tire. Also cost efficient when compared to a motorcycle tire. Others who have this tire installed claim 30,000 miles on average. I also run Dynabeads in both tires.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”