compufire alternator

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
hardint
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

compufire alternator

Postby hardint » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:15 am

My alternator on my 88 failed,had a repuatible alternator shop tell me its a gamble to rebuild and wanted $340 for another Hitachi but price comparision led me to a compufire for $349,I hope to never touch the alternator again. Hopefully I made the right choice.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: compufire alternator

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:29 am

The Compufire is a great alternative, and I LOVE mine - basically because you NEVER have to worry about having enough power, ever again.

That said, it is a mechanical device, and it can fail. However, it is relatively easily removed, and can be rebuilt by any competent starter/alternator shop. It is a bit LESS prone to failure simply because most of the time it is being run nowhere near its design load, whereas the stock GL1500 alternator runs near its design capacity a fair amount of the time.

Make sure you also replace your battery with the Compufire-recommended battery at the same time.

hardint

Postby hardint » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks,I had a glass mat battery already so hopefully all is well.

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:31 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
It is a bit LESS prone to failure simply because most of the time it is being run nowhere near its design load, whereas the stock GL1500 alternator runs near its design capacity a fair amount of the time.

WHAT???? I totally don't understand this statement.............. can you explain.............
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:30 pm

If something is designed to put out a maximum of 40 of something, and you run it continuously so that it is producing 38, you're running it under near maximum design load at all times.

If something is designed to put out a maximum of 90 of something, and you run it continuously so that it is producing 38, it's running nowhere near its maximum design load, which means less stress, less heat, so chances are it will last much longer than the one that is continually run close to or at its ultimate design load.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:18 pm

OKAY, thanks.

I didn't know that running a system to where it's close to the max, taxes it and shortens the life span. My assumption always was that if it's turning, it doesn't care what the output is....the onus is on the engine not the output load.

So what part of the alternator would be affected by the max load heat created.

everybody talks about the brushes wearing, but that doesn't seem like it would be the point of failure for a system like a stock alternator running at close to it's max output.

What should I look at as the point of failure?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:04 pm

Brushes definitely take the brunt of the load, but heat is the real killer - semiconductor electronics in the regulator can be affected by heat, insulation, bearings - pretty much everything will be affected negatively by heat - and the closer to design load it's running, the more heat it's making.

hardint

Postby hardint » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:26 am

My problems started when I left the key in the acc position while listening to music from my phone,unhooking the phone and walking away,the first time I was at home and charged the battery, the next time I was away from home and let it sit a while and it started so I tached it up to 2000 put my knife behind the throttle and went back around the Rv and forgot it until the dear wife comes out about 40 minutes later to say did you forget the bike's running ? Oh _hit I say,when I get there the temp gauge is pegged got a hose and cooled the radiator and luckily saved the engine.About a week later ridding back and forth to work one night I see my volt gauge at 17 volts ??? shortly after that I coast to a stop,walk to walmart buy a battery walk back and make it to work. The next morning I start it,11.7 volts so I pull the headlight fuse and make it 40 miles home,it quits while raising the shop door at 7.6 volts so the coils quit firing the plugs at or around there.
This was long but hopefully helpful to some other winger so they don't have to walk,pushing it is OUT OF THE QUESTION.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:05 am

There is an alternative to Compufire, and that is the replacement or refurbished alternator from Ken Heming. He has a website that is something like <hemiroid>?

It has a higher output than the standard alternator, so it should compete with the Compufire.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:22 am

WingAdmin wrote:If something is designed to put out a maximum of 40 of something, and you run it continuously so that it is producing 38, you're running it under near maximum design load at all times.

If something is designed to put out a maximum of 90 of something, and you run it continuously so that it is producing 38, it's running nowhere near its maximum design load, which means less stress, less heat, so chances are it will last much longer than the one that is continually run close to or at its ultimate design load.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thanks for that lesson, I never thought of the heat. So if an ALT goes bad, the standard reply by guys is the brushes, that could be just a small part of the problem. Thanks for that explanation.....

A KNIFE IN THE THROTTLE ???? sounds like something i'd do....hahahaha

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”