dunlop e 3 tires

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

dunlop e 3 tires

Postby m2102 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:50 am

i have dunlop e 3 tires on my 1500 wing and have over 23k miles on them,i put them on new.after seeing how to check the age of tires i saw that they were 2 yrs old when i bought them. a little disapoiting. i am replacing them next season and will be puting them on then as well. i have been told that the ones i have are first generation. i saw some 2nd generation on a friends bike and,wow,i couldn't believe the tread that was on them, compared to mine when i got them the tread looked like a canyon.is american tire the way to go to purchase the dunlop tires? the free shipping is a plus. if i got the mileage out the ones i have now i can only imagine what 2nd generation could get.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: dunlop e 3 tires

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:04 am

I wasn't aware that the E3's had different generations. Can you get some pictures?

Anyway one problem with buying tires online is that you never know how old they are till you get them. At a shop you can at least look at them but you will likely pay more too. I bought some tire online this year and they were manufactured in 2012. New two year old tires don;t worry me at all.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

m2102

Postby m2102 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:16 am

the bike i saw the tires on weren't local to me so wouldn't be able to get pictures. the tread if you can imagine,looked as deep as the tread on my truck tires. i truely believe that if you put a penny in the groove it would come 1/2 way up the coin. on american tire they say either second or new generation on the discription of the tire. also has better mileage to tire life.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:14 am

If by American Tire you mean American Moto Tire their pricing isn't the greatest IMO.

I am in Canada but the best prices I have seen for tires is at Rocky Mountain ATV. For example the rear Elite 3 bias is $171 and shipping in USA appears to be free. I have friends who bought tires there as they passed through Utah.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/50/ ... cycle-Tire

Have you considered the Avon Venom tire? I had E3's on my bike and had cupping issues on the front. I replaced with the Avon based on recommendations form others here and I have to say I really like the tire.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:18 am

Really sounds like he has the radial E3. Tread looks totally different and my front is a radial with 22.5k and has started to cup. Is is about to be replaced with a Bridgestone BT45 rear. E3 felt too loose in the rain, otherwise E3 radials would be front and rear.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:05 am

I replaced the badly cupped E3's on my 1500 with Avon Venoms when I got the bike. Just like they did when I put them on my 1100, they almost transformed the bike. Excellent grip, both in wet and dry, nice quiet tire. I got tremendous mileage out of the set on my 1100. I've put around 7,000 miles on my 1500's Venoms since I put them on this past spring. The rear is showing some wear, and some of that may be from pulling a trailer, which isn't really easy on rear tires. I'm also getting a little bit of noise on my front tire when going straight - it disappears when I bank. Nothing remotely similar to the cupping noise I got from my E3's though. This *might* be from running it with a loose sloppy wheel bearing for the last couple thousand miles, I'm not sure. No abnormal wear on the front however, and no cupping.

Overall I'm still thrilled with the tires, and I'd definitely buy them again.

m2102

Postby m2102 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:09 am

i can't imagine a tire that would give the milage i am getting with my E3's. i have over 23k miles on them and will replace them next season. the rear tire would do more than the front but want to get a trailer so i will probably do them both. for me,in a corner the feel was like it was in a track and very confident of the grip. the little road noise i do get is not important to me. it isn't that bad. yes it is cupped but i didn't up the tp till after they were on for some time.when the new goes on dyna beads will be going in. now i have since run 45 lbs in front and back.in wet conditions it still feels like it grabs well even in the state of wear they are in. i have so far rode all winter last year and plan to ride as long into this winter till weather dictates i can't. also i have done these miles in just over a year and a half. i know their are good tires out there less expensive but the milage just doesn't seem to compare. if i could get a comparable tire in milage and grip for less i mite consider it.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:16 pm

When I bought my 1100 years ago it needed new tires so I went with the Avon Venom X's. Loved those tires, over the next few years I put on 3 more sets of the Avons. When I bought the 1500 it had an E3 on the rear and something else on the front(bridgestone?). I replaced the front with an E3 to keep them matched. I had heard from others on the various forums that they were a good tire with long life and good traction.I was really unimpressed with them. I found them to be a poor wet traction tire,the rear of the bike was all over the road both under braking and acceleration.I never had that problem with the 1100 and the Avons.

Now I am not saying you should try this but it works very well for me, I went to the Darkside. On the rear I am running an Austone Taxi tire ,175R16, fits like a glove and is a little taller than the stock MC tire so that drops the RPM a little. It gives me a bigger foot print and therefore more traction in all weather conditions so far(havent tried snow yet). I find myself able to carry more speed into the corners,i have no fear of the rear slipping out on me even in the rain, and I have tried, I push it to find the limits of the tire and find my own limitation first .I can grind the stock footpegs with the rear suspension aired up to the max, thats a Looooooong way over. I also feel more confidence with the traction when the tent trailer is following me around.

|have put on alot of miles since I bought the 1500 in early April , I wore out the front E3 as well, the rear shows very little wear, I am expecting over 40,000-60,000 miles from the rear. I am going to go double Darkside (car tire on the rear, rear bike tire on the front) as soon as I have finished scrubbing the tread off the front E3 (in less than 5 months since I bought it). I would NOT put another set of E3's on my bike even if you paid for them. They are noisey,slip too easily and cup way too quickly for my liking.

There are a few trade offs using the CT but they are minor and I have no trouble adjusting to them. If think this might be for you try to see if you can borrow somebodies bike that has already done this. I dont think I will go back to a rear MC tire again unless its on the front. thats my 2cents worth on the subject 8-)

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”