Max cruise setting !

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
boeredmon
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 Aspencade SE

Max cruise setting !

Postby boeredmon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:43 pm

I have a 98SE trike and the cruise does not want to set higher than around 71-72 mph....is there a fix of some kind to remedy this ? Thanks for any help....Boe

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Max cruise setting !

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:48 am

yes there is a way around this issue. look here
http://gl1800a.osborn-us.com/wingcruisecontrol.html 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

boeredmon

Postby boeredmon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:41 am

Thanks Todd......something is wrong with the reference you gave me...one of those error things....LOL......however I did find the subject on the 1500 FAQ list......... Ride Safe..Boe

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:39 am

Basic fix is to switch two wires under the seat that work the cruise control..switching the 4 and 5 the gear ID's so the system thinks it's only going 75 when it's really going 90 or so..based on the tach and gear not the speedo..

C33- where these wires could be accessed after inputs had gone to the engine control system. After all, I only want to fool the Cruise Control, and not the engine control module.

Cut the red/white and green/orange wires, and cross connected them, so that the CC thinks the transmission is in 4th when it's really in 5th, and 5th when it's really in 4th. Now for the road test! I set the cruise control in 4th gear and tapped up to increase the speed. Sure enough, 65 mph was as high as it would set. Shifting into 5th, I reset the cruise and, again, started tapping up to increase the speed. 75... 78... 80... 85! Yes! and 90 mph. The cruise control maintained 90 mph as well as it used to maintain 75. I figure that it will set up to 100 mph and 4500 rpm (which is 80 mph in 4th gear.)

I know that it works on a 95, and I'll be trying it on a 96 in the next few days. I believe that it will work on any GL1500 that senses engine speed with the cruise control. For now, I think I'll leave the wires crossed; I don't foresee a reason to want to use the cruise control above 65 mph in 4th gear. A couple of other ways that should work, and that I may try later are:

1) Cut both wires, connect the red/wht wire (4th gear) from the cruise control to ground, and leave the other wire disconnected - I could then engage the cruise in any gear up to what ever speed 4500 rpm is, or

2) Cut both wires, leave the grn/org wire to the cruise control disconnected, and connect both wires from the shifter to the red/wht wire coming from the cruise control using a diode in each wire with the cathodes away from the cruise control. I could then set the cruise control up to 80 mph in 4th gear and 100 mph in 5th.
disclaimer: This worked for me, but it may not work for you. If you decide to try it, and break something (including yourself) that is expensive to repair, don't blame me.

To date I've heard from two riders who have modified their '98SE's (one was a European version) with the desired results. At least one opted to relocate the pins in the plug to avoid cutting the wire. I've decided that is the way I'll go in the future; I won't install the diodes, since I can't see why I would ever want/need to set the cruise control faster than 65 mph in 4th gear.

Another person commented that setting the cruise control in 4th gear, shifting to 5th, and pressing "resume" results in the Wing accelerating. This makes sense, since the engine is trying to return to the same RPM in 5th gear that it was running at in 4th. I had never noticed it, since I seldom engage the cruise except in 5th.

From what I'm hearing, 93 seems to be the earliest year that this works on. I've had several reports of negative results with 92s.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

edban
Motorcycle: 1992 GL 1500 Gold Wing

Postby edban » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:51 am

Hi Guys,

I have a '92 model and I found it would not lock into a speed higher than 80km/h. Extremely frustrating when cruising. 120km/h would be sufficient but no go. 80 or nor less.any advice on 1992 models.

Found your articles very interesting.

Edban

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:21 am

Sorry that the link didnt work for you, it did the last time I looked at it (few weeks ago). That will teach me to check everything before I post again.RBGERSON hit it right on the head as I remember reading it. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

boeredmon

Postby boeredmon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks Todd.I haven't had a chance to check it out yet...I had to ride yesterday... :D ......Remember you are invisible out there.......Boe

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:42 pm

RBGERSON wrote:Basic fix is to switch two wires under the seat that work the cruise control..switching the 4 and 5 the gear ID's so the system thinks it's only going 75 when it's really going 90 or so..based on the tach and gear not the speedo..

C33- where these wires could be accessed after inputs had gone to the engine control system. After all, I only want to fool the Cruise Control, and not the engine control module.

Cut the red/white and green/orange wires, and cross connected them, so that the CC thinks the transmission is in 4th when it's really in 5th, and 5th when it's really in 4th. Now for the road test! I set the cruise control in 4th gear and tapped up to increase the speed. Sure enough, 65 mph was as high as it would set. Shifting into 5th, I reset the cruise and, again, started tapping up to increase the speed. 75... 78... 80... 85! Yes! and 90 mph. The cruise control maintained 90 mph as well as it used to maintain 75. I figure that it will set up to 100 mph and 4500 rpm (which is 80 mph in 4th gear.)

I know that it works on a 95, and I'll be trying it on a 96 in the next few days. I believe that it will work on any GL1500 that senses engine speed with the cruise control. For now, I think I'll leave the wires crossed; I don't foresee a reason to want to use the cruise control above 65 mph in 4th gear. A couple of other ways that should work, and that I may try later are:

1) Cut both wires, connect the red/wht wire (4th gear) from the cruise control to ground, and leave the other wire disconnected - I could then engage the cruise in any gear up to what ever speed 4500 rpm is, or

2) Cut both wires, leave the grn/org wire to the cruise control disconnected, and connect both wires from the shifter to the red/wht wire coming from the cruise control using a diode in each wire with the cathodes away from the cruise control. I could then set the cruise control up to 80 mph in 4th gear and 100 mph in 5th.
disclaimer: This worked for me, but it may not work for you. If you decide to try it, and break something (including yourself) that is expensive to repair, don't blame me.

To date I've heard from two riders who have modified their '98SE's (one was a European version) with the desired results. At least one opted to relocate the pins in the plug to avoid cutting the wire. I've decided that is the way I'll go in the future; I won't install the diodes, since I can't see why I would ever want/need to set the cruise control faster than 65 mph in 4th gear.

Another person commented that setting the cruise control in 4th gear, shifting to 5th, and pressing "resume" results in the Wing accelerating. This makes sense, since the engine is trying to return to the same RPM in 5th gear that it was running at in 4th. I had never noticed it, since I seldom engage the cruise except in 5th.

From what I'm hearing, 93 seems to be the earliest year that this works on. I've had several reports of negative results with 92s.

I basically did this BUT I used a SMALL screwdriver and poped the wire connectors apart and swapped them. No cutting or soldering.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:57 am

edban wrote:Hi Guys,

I have a '92 model and I found it would not lock into a speed higher than 80km/h. Extremely frustrating when cruising. 120km/h would be sufficient but no go. 80 or nor less.any advice on 1992 models.

Found your articles very interesting.

Edban

The 92 models made for the market in America will set at speeds just like the later models. This fix will only work for 93 and later models. Your 92 is more than likely made for the market in Japan. All of those will only set to 80km/h. I haven't heard of a fix for those bikes.

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”