Engine Diesels at Idle

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
rjones1660
Motorcycle: 1995 GL 1500 SE

Engine Diesels at Idle

Postby rjones1660 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:56 pm

I have a 1995 Gold Wing that I just purchased, has 28,000 miles on it, and it diesels when at idle. It will rev up about 400 to 500 RPM then drop back to about 850 RPM.

1. What makes the engine do this?

2. Can it be corrected?

Thanks,

Bob Jones

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Engine Diesels at Idle

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:10 pm

Not sure I understand what you're trying to describe. Dieseling is normally used to describe an engine that continues to run after it is shut off - a hot spot in the cylinder and/or bad timing, among other things, causes the fuel/air mixture to ignite with no spark, so it will continue to fire occasionally, enough to keep the engine turning, until it cools off enough that it stops.

rrruuunnn
Motorcycle: 88 1500

Postby rrruuunnn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:03 pm

Sounds like you mean the idle is hunting up and down. check for vacuum leaks around all the hoses on the intake.

rjones1660

Postby rjones1660 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:33 am

WingAdmin wrote:Not sure I understand what you're trying to describe. Dieseling is normally used to describe an engine that continues to run after it is shut off - a hot spot in the cylinder and/or bad timing, among other things, causes the fuel/air mixture to ignite with no spark, so it will continue to fire occasionally, enough to keep the engine turning, until it cools off enough that it stops.

Sorry used the wrong term, the engine is reving up when it is idling. It will increase from 850 RPM up to about 1200 to 1300 RPM and then settle back to 850 and keeps repeating this as long as the engine in idling.

Is this normal if not any suggestions on how to correct?

Thanks

Bob Jones

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:59 am

rjones1660 wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:Not sure I understand what you're trying to describe. Dieseling is normally used to describe an engine that continues to run after it is shut off - a hot spot in the cylinder and/or bad timing, among other things, causes the fuel/air mixture to ignite with no spark, so it will continue to fire occasionally, enough to keep the engine turning, until it cools off enough that it stops.

Sorry used the wrong term, the engine is reving up when it is idling. It will increase from 850 RPM up to about 1200 to 1300 RPM and then settle back to 850 and keeps repeating this as long as the engine in idling.

Is this normal if not any suggestions on how to correct?

That can have a couple causes. A vacuum leak is one, choke being on is another - whether you intend for it to be on or not (i.e. if choke cable is not allowing the choke to turn off all the way, it will do what you're experiencing).

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Postby ka4yqi » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:50 pm

Strange to see another Bob Jones. We have one at work. Open the gas tank access lid, You see your gas cap, gas filter, and a funny looking knob. This is you idle screw control. Turn it to the right to increase the idle speed to about 1500 rpm, then turn it to the left to about 500 rpm. Turn back to the right for the idle speed of 800 +- 50 rpm. 8 out of 10 this fixes the problem. I would also add a little fuel additives to clean up the carbs. That bike been sitting to much. Good luck.

rjones1660

Postby rjones1660 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks everybody for all the great suggestions.
Adjusting the engine idle up to 1500 rpm then to 500 rpm and back to 850 did the trick. It now idles very steadly at 850.
Again thanks for your help.

bob Jones

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:46 pm

rjones1660 wrote:Thanks everybody for all the great suggestions.
Adjusting the engine idle up to 1500 rpm then to 500 rpm and back to 850 did the trick. It now idles very steadly at 850.
Again thanks for your help.

bob Jones

If that did the trick I would look into cleaning the exterior of the carbs and the linkage. When you do that I would spray some silicone lube on the linkage. Something that has a tendancy to stick to what it contacts. I use something called LPS 3. Works great and won't leave a lot of residule all around. I believe it has a parafin base.

rjones1660

Postby rjones1660 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Bob Jones.

JoseF
Motorcycle: 1999 1500SE

Postby JoseF » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:08 am

ka4yqi wrote:Strange to see another Bob Jones. We have one at work. Open the gas tank access lid, You see your gas cap, gas filter, and a funny looking knob. This is you idle screw control. Turn it to the right to increase the idle speed to about 1500 rpm, then turn it to the left to about 500 rpm. Turn back to the right for the idle speed of 800 +- 50 rpm. 8 out of 10 this fixes the problem. I would also add a little fuel additives to clean up the carbs. That bike been sitting to much. Good luck.

rjones1600, aparte de lo que te dice ka4yqi que resolverá el problema, revisa o cambia el filtro secundario de aire, la obtrucción de este hace que se cree un vacío en el tubo de entrada a los carburadores.

Suerte.
Saludos
José
Madrid , España

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:12 pm

Rjones1600, apart from what you said ka4yqi to solve the problem, reviewed or changed the secondary air filter, the obtruccion (aka obstruction) of this creates a vacuum in the inlet pipe to the carburettors.

Fate.

What an interesting translation of "Luck". These automatic translators take everything literally, so you have to work out the best of three options that are provided. Google does well, though.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

JoseF

Postby JoseF » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:56 am

redial wrote:
Rjones1600, apart from what you said ka4yqi to solve the problem, reviewed or changed the secondary air filter, the obtruccion (aka obstruction) of this creates a vacuum in the inlet pipe to the carburettors.

Fate.

What an interesting translation of "Luck". These automatic translators take everything literally, so you have to work out the best of three options that are provided. Google does well, though.

rjones1600 apart from what he says ka4yqi to solve the problem, check or change the secondary air filter, the obstruction of this makes a vacuum in the inlet pipe to the carburetors.

Mis nuevos comentarios los revisaré con Google translate y si puedo los verificaré. Disculpad pero no entiendo Inglés.
My new comments I will check with Google translate and the'll check if I can. Sorry, but I do not understand English.
Saludos
José
Madrid , España

redial

Postby redial » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:26 am

[color=#408000]Hola Jose,

I do not read or speak Spanish, so we are even! As long as you put your comments into a translator, you should not have any trouble, nor should I, so everyone will be good.

Welcome.

No leer o hablar español, así que estamos aún! Siempre y cuando usted puso sus comentarios en un traductor, no deberías tener ningún problema, ni debo, por lo que todo el mundo estará bien.

Bienvenido.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

JoseF

Postby JoseF » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:07 am

redial wrote:[color=#408000]Hola Jose,

I do not read or speak Spanish, so we are even! As long as you put your comments into a translator, you should not have any trouble, nor should I, so everyone will be good.

Welcome.

No leer o hablar español, así que estamos aún! Siempre y cuando usted puso sus comentarios en un traductor, no deberías tener ningún problema, ni debo, por lo que todo el mundo estará bien.

Bienvenido.

Gracias redial, el problema es que el traductor google es malísimo.
Si leo lo que ha traducido de tu frase, no se entiende nada.
No leer o hablar español (en infinitivo).
así que estamos aún! (ni idéa)
ni debo = ni debería haberlo
por lo que todo el mundo estará bien. (¿el mundo está bien?)

Thanks redial, the problem is that the google translator is terrible.
If I read what has translated your sentence, nothing is understood.
Do not read or speak Spanish (infinitive).
so we're even! (no idea)
nor should I = or should have
so that everyone will be fine. (Is the world right?)
Saludos
José
Madrid , España

redial

Postby redial » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:17 am

Even with a poor translator, we are still making ourselves understood. Jose, I am not a linguist - I speak very good English with a good Australian accent. I have dabbled in French and Chinese (Mandarin), but Spanish is not a strong point. Thank you for your inputs to the discussion, as I found them useful.

have a happy day, and enjoy your Goldwing/
Len in Kapunda

JoseF

Postby JoseF » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:31 pm

redial wrote:Even with a poor translator, we are still making ourselves understood. Jose, I am not a linguist - I speak very good English with a good Australian accent. I have dabbled in French and Chinese (Mandarin), but Spanish is not a strong point. Thank you for your inputs to the discussion, as I found them useful.

have a happy day, and enjoy your Goldwing/

Gracias a tí, ayudaremos lo que podamos y si nos pueden ayudar en algo será siempre bienvenido.
Thanks to you, we can help and if we can help with anything is always welcome.

Saludos
José
Madrid , España

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”