getting the pesky hose on the air box

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
capnfred
Motorcycle: 84 aspencade, 84 HD FXRDG custom, 92 Aspy

getting the pesky hose on the air box

Postby capnfred » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Anyone that has removed the airbox on the 1500's has found that the large secondary air hose is a devil to get back on...I have three 1500's that I have to take care of...2 are mine and one is a friend of mine..I tried lots of ways to get the hose back on and finally hit on a winner! I tried using very long pliers, screwdrivers as levers... then hit on this!

what I do is so simple...I take a very long tie wrap, loop it around the top of the hose, let the tail hang out on the right side of the air box. Remove the clamp on the hose ( my experience is we don't need it), grab the tail of the tiewrap pull up on it, working against the tie, fit the hose onto the nipple on the bottom of the air box. Once the hose is on the nipple all the way...carefully align the airbox over the carbs, tighten the screws.... your good to go...I fought with this many hours.... now its a few minutes removing the airbox and reinstalling it...if anyone has any other ideas let me know....

capn

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: getting the pesky hose on the air box

Postby redial » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:27 am

Any photos would make this a lot easier for us simple minded folk. It sounds like you have a solution to a pesky problem that we may get a real benefit. Thanks for the write-up, and thanks in advance for the photos.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:13 am

I have fought with that hose before and will give your method a try. Thanx for another simple idea.
Proud member Patriot Guard

capnfred

Postby capnfred » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:18 pm

In order to take pictures I would have to remove the airbox, the next time it has to come off I will make some pics. Anyone that has the airbox off knows about this hose, for those of you that have not had this pleasure, I will give a step by step of removal and replacement. I have done this on three different bikes, each one a bit different, the first one the captive screws that holds the "joint" hondas name not mine...had to be removed with a dremel tool, then the fitting had to be replaced. This one I used long pliers, (really longz) to try and hold the pesky hose on...took two people (three hands) to get it on...on the next bike I tried using the pliers.... but could not get it to stay put.... then I came up with the idea of using a tie wrap to keep the hose from moving... this was an older bike so the hose was stiff and the end was a relatively loose fit on the nipple...it was not too hard, the last one I had to do was my newest bike, a 92 that had little time on it and spent a lot of its life in a garage or only ridden on nice sunny days...when I heard the engine running I knew exactly what was wrong, the PO said that that was the way it had sounded since day one.... anyway when I took the airbox off, I found the was disconnected, but being a newer bike (the hose was a tight fit on the nipple I had to figure out a way to get the hose over the nipple...so I came up with the idea of using the tie wrap basically as a handle to not only hold the hose in place and slip the nipple in, but in this case to actually pull up on the hose as I worked the nipple into the hose.... voila.... it worked great.... left the tiewrap hanging out for the next time... besides once the "tupperware" is back on, only your hairdresser knows for sure....once all the hardware holding the airbox to the carbs were back in place...I started the engine, put my finger over the hole in the air intake in the airbox to make sure that the hose was indeed attached and sucking air.... yep all was good... so I put the aircleaner back in, attached the cover, the sensor, the vaccum line and the hot air valve....all is good, anyone that has any other questions about this feel free to ask me....

capn

triwing
Motorcycle: 84 gl 1200,87int,91asp

Postby triwing » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:28 am

Spray some silicone spray on both surfaces, lightly let xtra run off. Put clamp on hose in grove, and slide on to the airbox stud.If you get any on outside of hose.Wipe clean and hold with rag for grip. And slide into place. After a few times, you just slide on, clamp in place with little resistance.

triwing

Postby triwing » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:34 am

PS Tyewrap for handle is a good idea, can always learn some variation, or differant way entirely. ;)

Emmette
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Emmette » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Just went through the same thing with my 1500 so I know where you're coming from. My solution was approximately the same; just used ignition wire around the hose
along with some silicone on the hose and nipple. Works very well, but still not the easiest thing in the world.

capnfred

Postby capnfred » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Triwing, how do you get to the hose to hold it,,,, in my limited experience once the airbox is on the carbs (or close to it) there is no way to grab the hose.... hence the tiewrap for a handle, if have a way to get to the hose once the airbox is where it needs to be please share....

curious

capn

triwing

Postby triwing » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:50 pm

As I recall,first time or two, used long handle pliers straight or bent one's, I forget. Last several times slides into place easily.First time you take anything apart,it's a pain in the a--,Honda dont lube these type of things.Helpful next time you take apart if it,s been lubed last time it was apart.Hope this help's you, these things come apart and go together almost by themselves,after a few times. Your almost on auto/pilot, after a while, sixes are a lot like the four's,only 50% more motor.

glassbebo
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Postby glassbebo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:40 am

I also had this same problem, I took the right fan assembly out and presto hose and clamp on with little effort, just a couple bolts hold the fan assembly.

capnfred

Postby capnfred » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:28 pm

I thought about pulling the fan, I took the left fan out trouble shooting a wiring issue, and it was a bear, so I shied away from the right fan..maybe should have gone there, but the tiewrap works good, the hose is a snug fit so the clamp is languishing in my tool box.....maybe sometime if I need to pull the fan... I will put it back on.... thanks for the idea

capn

triwing

Postby triwing » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:50 pm

If you want fan's out, removing duct work makes the job much easier. Two small nut,& screw-bolt removals on each side, to free them up for necessary moving or removing. Left side fan is tighter fit than right side, heated air hose, makes things more crowded.

Dennis613l
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Postby Dennis613l » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:46 am

Gonna have to remember this in spring when I have a go at the carbs.
Though I do wonder, can one maybe just splice on a few extra inches of hose without it kinking?
Haven't been down in the bowls of wherever it is that the hose goes so not sure how much slack there is to add extra much less replace it with a longer one......

triwing

Postby triwing » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Preformed molded rubber of a different type. Dont think your idea will work here, good idea that can often work though.Putting a loop can often work well for cramped situations.Let us all know if you can figure out something. Personaly never thought about it at the time,might work well.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”