Cigarette Plug

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

Cigarette Plug

Postby hap2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:20 pm

I'm thinking of putting cigarette plug on a 1992 1500SE and have a few questions for ya.

Is there a place (socket) to put already there by Honda? If so, where?

IF not, where is a good place to put it?

How long do you think it would take in hours to put it in?

Thank you

TennX
Motorcycle: 97 GL 1500 Aspencade
06 VTX 1300R

Re: Cigarette Plug

Postby TennX » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Im new to the wing,(but not motorcycles) and can only tell how I did mine....most put the socket in the left dash storage pocket...(I put mine in the unused CB panel)...with help from the forum I installed a fuse block,keyed on by the accessory terminals on the stock fuse block and wired my socket to it as I wanted 15amps....more will chime in....good luck
Phil.......

hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

Postby hap2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks Phil. About how long did it take you to install it once u had everything?

TennX
06 VTX 1300R

Postby TennX » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:04 pm

hap2 wrote:Thanks Phil. About how long did it take you to install it once u had everything?

I cant really say, as I approach everything like I got all the time in the world...I would hazard a guess as maybe couple of hours..for me hardest part was fishing the wires back to the battery as I didnt want/have to remove the shelter...I used an electrical connection brand fuse block as it comes with its own relay....if you care to do a search, plenty of info...good luck
Phil.......

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:12 am

TennX wrote:
hap2 wrote:Thanks Phil. About how long did it take you to install it once u had everything?

I cant really say, as I approach everything like I got all the time in the world...I would hazard a guess as maybe couple of hours..for me hardest part was fishing the wires back to the battery as I didnt want/have to remove the shelter...I used an electrical connection brand fuse block as it comes with its own relay....if you care to do a search, plenty of info...good luck

It's definitely 110% easier to do with the shelter off, and the end result is much neater as well. I laid a run of split-loom wire along from the fairing back to the battery, and ran all my custom wiring through that. Neat and tidy, and won't chafe anywhere.

TennX
06 VTX 1300R

Postby TennX » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
TennX wrote:

It's definitely 110% easier to do with the shelter off, and the end result is much neater as well. I laid a run of split-loom wire along from the fairing back to the battery, and ran all my custom wiring through that. Neat and tidy, and won't chafe anywhere.

When I tear the bike down to do all the things to bring it up to speed I will revisit the wiring....LOL....
Phil.......

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:52 pm

TennX wrote:When I tear the bike down to do all the things to bring it up to speed I will revisit the wiring....LOL....

I've got the same thing - I've added a couple of circuits since I last had it all apart, and I threaded them along - this winter when I tear it down again, I'll re-do those circuits and pretty everything up again. :)

dwgeo104
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Aspencade Roadsmith Trike

Postby dwgeo104 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:07 pm

I have mine (done by PO) on the lower right side on the dash - opposite the head light adjustment. Be sure to put in an online fuse. You can get a "power port" at most auto parts stores. Just guessing but I'd say it couldn't take more then three hours to install. You have to get behind that dash.

Hallct
Motorcycle: 1995 goldwing 1500SE 20th Anniversary

Postby Hallct » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:32 pm

This is how I did mine on a 1995 1500 all inside left pocket. Also mounted two in the trunk
Attachments

reasonator
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Postby reasonator » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:50 pm

I bought an '89 1500 used, and it had a cigarette lighter installed on the front wall of the left saddlebag. We found this location to be optimal as we ride 2 up mostly and she smokes too. With the lighter on the saddlebag, we can both reach it comfortably (but I have to feel for it to replace it after used).

It's wired to the existing acc. terminals of the fuse block, and wires are run behind side cover with a hole drilled into the bottom of the saddlebag. The wire hole has silicon caulk to seal the hole. Then a 1.25 inch hole was cut out on the front wall for the lighter. After getting the bike, I added a backrest which got in the way of the lighter, so I replaced it with a "low profile" lighter that fits just under the edge of the backrest mount so I didn't have to cut a second hole in the saddle bag. I would guess, from replacing the lighter, the entire job (wiring too) would have taken no more than an hour if your comfortable using tools and mechanically inclined:)!
"Those that dare to be can never be weak." - Unknown

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Postby keithg64 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:55 pm

I have 3 on my bike. One in the left side pocket for up front stuff. One in the right hand side of the passeger compartment for her and her stuff and one in the trunk for charging and other things. all are powered from the battery,relayed and fused. The front and trunk was done a couple of years ago when I wired the bike for extra electrial things and took alot of the winter to do. I did alot of work, and the passenger comp. took about and hour or less once I had everything, but i dont get in a hurry to do things.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:40 pm

I would suggest this. I wired mine to the battery so it is hot all the time. If theres something you want to do, like charge a phone or something you need to have the key on if its on the accessory side. I had a VTX, and I had a converter and an amp for a music system. Leaving the key on would kill the battery if I wanted to listen to the mp-3. My two pennies.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”