Greasing & Adjusting Steering Head

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wideload1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE
1977 XS650

Greasing & Adjusting Steering Head

Postby wideload1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:52 pm

I took a look at the repack and adjust DIY article and started out. I am stuck at the point where the turn signal control unit needs to be disconnected from its wiring harness. The cable harness running through the stem on my 95SE, unlike the pictures in the DIY, has no slack to push through the stem. I can pull only about 1-1/2 inches of slack out the bottom of the triple tree. Consequently, the connector is still mid-way in the stem tube and a long way from being able to even touch it with a probing tool.

Anyone else run in to this? My first inclination is to disconnect the battery, cut through the wires and splice it back up when I am done. I’d feel a lot better if there was a way to get slack in the wire. I can't really see the other end of the harness, but it disappears under the dash so my guess is there is not much extra wire lenght to be found in that area.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Greasing & Adjusting Steering Head

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:26 am

It can be done - there IS enough slack. Spray some soapy water on the wire harness, and keep sliding the rubber cover up the wire harness as far as you can. You might want to try to undo some of the stays holding that harness in place to give you even more free play. But I guarantee you, there is enough slack in that harness to pull the connector down and disconnect it. That's how they put it in there at the factory, so you know that you can get it out the same way!

wideload1
1977 XS650

Postby wideload1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:03 pm

OK, thanks. Sliding the cover along the harness away from the stem is no probelm. After thanksgiving, I'll take another look in good light. Maybe I can locate a wiring stay to undo without dissasembling things in the dash area.

Sounds like maybe you worked in the assembly plant back in the day.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:08 pm

wideload1 wrote:OK, thanks. Sliding the cover along the harness away from the stem is no probelm. After thanksgiving, I'll take another look in good light. Maybe I can locate a wiring stay to undo without dissasembling things in the dash area.

Sounds like maybe you worked in the assembly plant back in the day.

Nope! I know this is the way it was done in the assembly plant, because looking at it when you take it apart - there's no possible way for it to be done otherwise! :)

wideload1
1977 XS650

Postby wideload1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanks WingAdmin.
I finished the steering head repack and readjust. The bearings were pretty dry at 53K miles, but the remaining grease was still clean. The DIY pics and descriptions were top notch. If you are just repacking the bearings, the technique of using a jack to raise and lower the bike saves a lot of time – no need to remove forks, fender, breaks, etc.

Here are some of the things I learned along the way:

If fabricating a spanner tool to use on the adjustment nut, a 36MM axel spindle nut socket is available for under $20 at the auto supply store. You can use the lock nut from your steering column (which is installed loosely) to accurately lay out your cutting pattern. You will save grinding time if you cut out triangular pieces from the socket using a cut-off blade first; finish grind later.

The wiring sub harness for the turn signal cancel unit on my 95SE has shoulders molded in to it, so you can’t simply loosen the cable ties to obtain the slack you need to disconnect the unit. One can, however, separate this strand from the wiring bundle by unfastening the wire stays. By turning the steering column full-left, you have access to the wire stays. If you have meaty hands and arms, this is a royal PIA! I’m glad the end of the year is approaching because I used the full allocation of foul language on this portion of the process.

At first, after looking at the DIY pics, I thought someone forgot to install the upper stem bearing seal (under the adjustment nut), but it turns out my 95 does not call for one.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:32 pm

wideload1 wrote:At first, after looking at the DIY pics, I thought someone forgot to install the upper stem bearing seal (under the adjustment nut), but it turns out my 95 does not call for one.

Thanks for that, I'll add that note to the article.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”