Dunlop Elite 3

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
noeleo
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 A Aspencade Sadly wrecked 2-25-12

1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500

Dunlop Elite 3

Postby noeleo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 am

What causes the "choppy" wear in the E3 tires? I have maintained 41 psi through the life of the tires. The had started to show this wear when I purchased the motorcycle, and now that the life of the tire is gone, they are worn to the point that it sounds like an old four wheel drive that has mud tires on it. It is really noticeable at slow speeds like when I pull into park on the concrete at work. Just don't want to buy another set and find the same problem.

Ride your GoldWing no faster than your angel can fly.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Dunlop Elite 3

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:14 pm

The majority of cases of cupping happens in inexpensive low-quality tires. Higher quality tires are better able to resist chipping by the environment that causes cupping in cheaper tires. Consumers should have high quality tires installed on their vehicles.

Another Cause of Cupping

Even if the tires are higher quality, and cupping still occurs, the problem might be with an errant suspension on the vehicle. If the suspension on a vehicle allows for the tires to bounce, as the vehicle rolls along, the extra action will make scuff marks on the tires, resulting in cupping.

Unfortunately, when the cause is the suspension, a qualified mechanic must replace the suspension and the tires. Since there's a risk of the cause being a serious repair like suspension, having a mechanic check the vehicle is often worth the expense, in spite of the time it will take.

Odd Cupping Situations

If the tires experiencing cupping are on the rear only, the cause of the problem may just be with the vehicle's alignment. Fortunately, in such cases, purchasing new tires and an alignment adjustment is more economical than replacing suspension and tires. If in doubt as to the condition your tires, take your vehicle to a qualified mechanic.

Two Easy Ways to Note a Problem With Your Tires

Look for indentations and an uneven surface that resembles "scallops" in the tread of the tire, where a driver should expect to see a smooth surface. You also might notice a slight rumbling sound as the vehicle moves. This sound most likely comes from the cupped spots on the tires. If either of these situations are noticed, take your vehicle to a trained mechanic.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

noeleo

Postby noeleo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:51 pm

So, are you telling me that the Dunlop Elite 3 is an inexpensive/low quality tire? If so, what more expensive tire would you personally recommend?

If suspension problems exist, what type of problems should I look for?

I took the motorcycle to three different mechanics, and two of the three stated that the tire pressures were run low, but when I told them that they were run at 41 psi, theu just shrugged and said "Don't know what to tell you, but I have a set in stock when you are ready to buy a new set." The other just shrugged.

Most repairs I probably could do myself, but the question remains "what do I fix?" :?

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:46 pm

E3 on front of my 89 has 23k and did not start cupping until few hundred miles ago. When it started it got noticable real fast. Battleax rear is going on now.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:03 am

No not saying dunlop is cheap..just that's the article's take..are you sure your tire gauge is reading correctly??? Most gauges aren't that accurate.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

dwgeo104
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Aspencade Roadsmith Trike

Postby dwgeo104 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:58 am

I'm looking at replacing my front Dunlap E3 with another. Nobody seems to think balancing is an issue. I've got some mild cupping - what is your opinion on balancing beads? Could the cupping start as the tire wears and goes out of balance?

noeleo

Postby noeleo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:01 pm

RBGERSON wrote:are you sure your tire gauge is reading correctly??? Most gauges aren't that accurate.

Do you have a recommendation of a tire gauge that I could purchase? I just always figured that if you use the same gauge each time,you would have an accurate representation of the current state of inflation pressure. I, too have seen many brands of gauges that vary from one to the next. Also, what about getting a gauge calibrated? Does anyone know where to do this?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Run Dyna-Beads in the tires, and keep them well-inflated (inflate to the tire manufacturer's recommendation, not the owner's manual recommendation) and you should not see cupping of any kind - barring loose suspension problems.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”