Lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wing_man
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A
Past:
95 VMax
89 VFR750
04 Hyosung gv250
86 VFR750
CB250
DT175
XS650

Lights

Postby wing_man » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:53 am

Hi All,

I finally got my wing about 2 weeks back, a quick flight at work's expense, 10 mins of actual work onsite, then 1386km to get her home.

She's a 1996 Pearl Royal Magenta with just under 70000km on the clock.

I have a somewhat dumb question.....should both headlights be lit on low beam, or is this just for high beam?

I've not paid that much attention to other wings on the road....

Thanks in advance,

Rob

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Lights

Postby redial » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:07 am

Hello Wing-man, welcome to this site. The headlight bulbs are identical, and you should have both lit, but it may be a loose wire or a bad connection onto the bulb. If you are going to get a new one, then you may as well get two, to save you having to go back into the area for another globe. There are step by step instructions on this site, but take your time, and if necessary take photos at each step.

The manual also suggests that you run a wire direct from the battery, and see if the bulb lights up. If it does, then it could be a wire or switch that is the problem.

There is another option, and that is get a HID kit, and follow the instructions posted by WingAdmin. There is someone providing a HID kit for GW, and you can hunt around for that on this site.

Enjoy your new (to you) GW, and I trust that you have many happy Kms of riding. Get a manual, and get lots of info from this site.

Is this GW made for Australia, or was it a grey import? You can tell by the VIN code.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

wing_man
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A
Past:
95 VMax
89 VFR750
04 Hyosung gv250
86 VFR750
CB250
DT175
XS650

Postby wing_man » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks Redial,

I figured they should both be on....I might look at the HID kit while I'm in there....

I'm not sure if she's an Australian model - I'm assuming (I know, not a good idea) so, because the seller told me that he bought it from the guy who bought it new - although he didn't specify where from.

What should I be looking for in the VIN?

thanks again,

Wing_Man

redial

Postby redial » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:45 pm

You might like to check this site, where they get you to put in your 17 digit VIN, and the response should tell you about the vehicle that you have. This could be important when ordering parts, as different country/states have different models (eg California models are heavy into emission controls; and Australian models are heavy into dust control :twisted: ).

I found this on this site, by going to the "search" facility.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

redial

Postby redial » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:46 pm

You might like to check this site, where they get you to put in your 17 digit VIN, and the response should tell you about the vehicle that you have. This could be important when ordering parts, as different country/states have different models (eg California models are heavy into emission controls; and Australian models are heavy into dust control :twisted: ).

http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vinDecoder.asp

I found this on this site, by going to the "search" facility.

Len in Kapunda

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”