Turn Signal Cancel Unit

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wingingbear
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Turn Signal Cancel Unit

Postby wingingbear » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:54 pm

I have a question about the Turn Signal Cancel Unit on a GL1500. My turn signals are working some times, some not. I have pulled the cancel unit out of the steering stem where I can turn the switch left and right. I can get the signals to flash and then turn the switch back and forth. Most of the time it keeps flashing. Sometimes, not always, when I get it all the way to one side or the other, the signals will stop. Sometimes when I move it back toward the middle, signals will come back on. Shouldn't they stay off until I repush the handle bar switch? I think the unit is shot. I have a new left handlebar switch on it. My question is, how is this unit supposed to work? Is it supposed to go all the way to one side and then back to middle to cancel the blinkers, or what?
If I was to put the unit back in the steering stem and move the switch to the middle and then remove the arm that causes the switch to move, will the signals still cancel because of the speedo? Or will I just have to push the cancel on the handlebar.
Thanks for any help

martinkeane
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing GL1500

Re: Turn Signal Cancel Unit

Postby martinkeane » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:46 pm

ok , so my dad has a Gl1500 with what i think are similiar problems. so when he pushes the turn signal left or right it firstly does not switch off automatically as it should , also it will not switch off when the turn signal is pushed in. the only way to turn the indicator off is to push the turn signal left or right. we have no experience with this so anyone with any advice would be great. Greetings from Ireland

setsail4mexico
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A

Re: Turn Signal Cancel Unit

Postby setsail4mexico » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:32 pm

I would have to say your unit is going bad... it should cancel with only 1/4 turn or more, should not have to go all the way. I can scan and email you the diagnosis pages for it and if it tests bad I have a couple spares here at the shop and would be glad to send you one so you can try and make sure it is that... Don't have to pay anything although if you want to send back the shipping cost after you get it, it would be appreciated. Just give me your email address and I'll scan and email the dianosis pages for you to get started...

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”