Starting problems

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Cfg2nd
Motorcycle: 1990 1500GL SE

Starting problems

Postby Cfg2nd » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Hello all. I am a new Goldwing owner, approximately 4 months now, and just experienced my first problem with my bike. I own a 1990 1500GL SE model with 21,000 miles on it. I am the 3rd owner (great story about the low miles probably for another day). The bike has started and run perfectly since the first day. I attempted to start it to show my son who was visiting from Alaska over thanksgiving week.... The starter turned the engine over continually but never fired off. I tried it numerous times...still turns strong... but no fire! In the process I tried cycling every switch on the bike... just because... to no avail. I have power to all the lights and gauges just fine... I pushed the emergency flasher button, who knows why, and everything shut off. Now there is nothing when i cycle the key from off to ACC to start... I just reached under the ignition switch and wiggled the different wire bundles... and the dash lights all came back on... including the e flashers which now will not shut off. I turned everything off, checked all the fuses which were OK, sprayed some WD-40 into the emergency flasher switch (in case it was sticky or corroded or wet) let it dry, pushed it many times. When I try to start the bike i still get continual emergency flashers.....

Does anything come to mind for any of you other Goldwing guys? The bike has sat in my garage for about a month since the rains started here in the Seattle, Washington area.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Starting problems

Postby robb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:51 am

Being new to wing you are aware that kill switch is off-on-off. If that is not it then I would be worried about the switch. Switch wires should not be loose enough to allow change of state when wiggled.

Joe Lange
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby Joe Lange » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:17 pm

I'm having pretty much the same problem with my 96 1500SE which I just bought. It was'nt running when I bought it, which is why I got a super deal on it. ($500) It was running a few months ago when the owner tried to ride it and laid it down on his leg. He figured he was too weak to ride a bike that size so he sold it to me! I'm hoping it's something simple.I don't know anything about Hondas so if anybody has any ideas I would appreciate your input!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Both you guys need to find out one thing.Is there spark.???
If there is,you have a fuel problem.
In those years,the fuel pump has power when the engine is cranking or running,check under the seat for the electrical connection to test for that.No spark...no fuel.
Second,they also use a vacuum operated fuel shutoff valve.It's just in front of the gas cap and the vacuum line goes to the right rear intake runner.Check it.
Let us know what you find.
These bikes also have a bank angle sensor that can fail.it will kill power to the ignition module and the fuel pump too.Test the ECM for switched volts.
As far as wiggling the cables to get it lite back up....you'll need to locate the corroded or loose connector that caused it.
Sorry, you will be pulling a lot of plastic off to do this.

Bogator
Motorcycle: 1998 valkyrie

Postby Bogator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:05 am

Another thing to check---battery power----my Valkyrie --if it does not have enough power in the battery it will turn over ,but,will not crank. my 2 cents--GOD BLESS
GOD BLESS

Joe Lange

Postby Joe Lange » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:25 pm

I pulled a plug wire and put an old harley plug in it , turned over the starter and got red fire. It was'nt blue but it was something. I pulled the fuel filter, pointed the fuel line at a bucket and turned over the engine. It began squirting fuel, so it should be getting gas. I also blew through the filter and it offered no resistance. Have'nt checked the kill switch yet. Thanks for your input.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Check the dogbone fuse to right of battery. When my alternator went out it blew that fuse, motor would turn over but not crank.

Joe Lange

Postby Joe Lange » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:40 am

I bought a Honda Goldwing manual, The one the Honda mechanics use. $65. It was the best investment I've made in my new Honda experience so far. In just a few minutes we have narrowed it down to the vacuum activated petcock. It's not opening. We bypassed it and the engine fired up with the old plugs. Runs really good! That does'nt mean I'm going riding today. We still have a truckload of plastic to re-install. Thanks for your advise.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Joe Lange wrote:I bought a Honda Goldwing manual, The one the Honda mechanics use. $65. It was the best investment I've made in my new Honda experience so far. In just a few minutes we have narrowed it down to the vacuum activated petcock. It's not opening. We bypassed it and the engine fired up with the old plugs. Runs really good! That does'nt mean I'm going riding today. We still have a truckload of plastic to re-install. Thanks for your advise.

I wouldn't leave it bypassed - it's there for a reason, you could end up with a hydrolocked engine as a result. Rebuild kits are cheap: http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/158744/20457

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”