see over GL1500 windshield choice

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links

Your favorite "see over" replacement shield?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:47 pm

OEM
50%
Cee Bailey
50%
Firecreek
No votes
National Cycle VStream
No votes
Other (please put comments in thread)
No votes

Total votes: 4

wiredgeorge
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE Roadsmith Trike

see over GL1500 windshield choice

Postby wiredgeorge » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Please vote on your favorite see-over GL1500 windshield. I know there are some that prefer see-through windshields and this poll isn't to find out what you like or if your choice makes more sense, only for see-over type sheilds!

wiredgeorge Texas Hill Country
1997 GL1500SE Roadsmith
2002 Triumph America
1976 KZ900A4, 1977 KZ750B2, 1978 KZ1000A, 1980 KZ1000E
Icebear 150cc trike

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: see over GL1500 windshield choice

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:52 pm

I have both the OEM windshield and a FireCreek Windbender with the flip top. I prefer the OEM , the wind bender flip top distorts the road just below the line of site. Particularily annoying when coming to stop signs or lights when you actually look through the windshield to see the stop line. I hope to find some one who has the straight top and will let me try it on my bike for a few hundred miles before I give up on the Wind Bender and put it up for sale.
I think if I were to try another windshield I would go with Cee Bailey's, based on the recommendations of some other long distance riders I have read 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:44 am

I have the Cee Bailey -2" windshield on mine, as I know how important it is to see safely over your shield at night facing oncoming traffic and during inclement weather, or both.

Although I am 6' and have a long torso length (21.5") I wanted to be able to easily see over the top after spending many hours in the saddle, as you tend to slump in the seat. Don't forget, you can always raise the shield. I could see over the top of the OEM shield when set at it's lowest setting, but found after hours in the saddle, when I was starting to slump, I would have to shift around and sit more erect to do so.

With the CB set at it's lowest point, I can see the pavement 30' in front of the bike, over the shield. I have found that the overall wider width of the CB shield, slightly increases rider protection, over the OEM shield.

Before I ordered my Cee Bailey's, I debated over getting the Wind Bender for a long time, but was concerned that the two wide metal vertical bars would bother/distract my Peripheral Vision. :o

OEM Shield ...

-2" Cee Bailey's Shield ...

Dusty

wiredgeorge

Postby wiredgeorge » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:29 am

Honestly, I am a decisive guy. I can make my mind up on most things with no problem but this one has me in a quandry. I was going to buy a Cee Bailey yesterday. For some reason, couldn't put the order through via their website so I called them. I had in my mind to buy the -2" with the NACA vent. I believe a vent is necessary to cut down on back pressure behind the shield and passenger comfort is my #1 priority along with safety from being able to see over the shield. The guy I talked to said their shield was no better than a stock shield regarding passenger buffeting. I already have installed Baker mirror wings and still have the 14 foot tall Tulsa on but it HAS to go. I did get a free stock shield that was all scratched up and cut it down to 14" over the trim and it was rendered pretty useless... tooooooo short. When you say your Cee Bailey is a bit better than the stock shield as far as passenger buffeting, how much is there and did you do anything else to tame it? Do you have a vent and if so do you think the cheaper NACA vent will work as well as the $75 adjustable (like OEM) vent?
1997 GL1500SE Roadsmith
2002 Triumph America
Icebear 150cc trike

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:53 am

Dusty Boots wrote:I have the Cee Bailey -2" windshield on mine, ..... I have found that the overall wider width of the CB shield, slightly increases rider protection, over the OEM shield.

Dusty

I just mentioned slightly better rider protection ... never mentioned anything about passenger protection/buffeting, as I rarely ever have a passenger on board.

The Tulsa Tall will keep your lady the happiest, if buffeting is her/your concern.

You know the old saying ... If momma ain't happy, then ain't nobody going to be happy.

I have a friend who just got his -2" CB shield and he didn't like it because he is shorter in both height and torso length and when he had it set at it's lowest setting, the top of the shield was right at eye level, bothering his Peripheral Vision and his wife found there was more buffeting than the OEM one. He raised the CB shield up, so she is now happy, but he now has to look through the shield again, just like before with his OEM shield.

Life is full of compromise :!: :roll:

Never tried out the NACA type vent, but I do have the adjustable OEM vent, which I like as you can control amount and direction of the air flow with it.

Makes this decision a whole lot easier for ya ... huh! :shock:

Dusty

wiredgeorge

Postby wiredgeorge » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:25 am

While the wife's comfort is a big priority, keeping her safe is even more important as the Tulsa is unsafe after dark or in any sort of weather. When vision is decreased, there isn't any point in comfort if you can't see well. I was looking for info and info is what it is. I had a standard OEM windshield on my GL1800 and could easily look over that shield in its lowest position and with mirror wings and a KuryAkyn airfoil, wife had no buffetting problems BUT no airfoil available for the 1500. Does your friend have the mirror wings on his 1500?
1997 GL1500SE Roadsmith
2002 Triumph America
Icebear 150cc trike

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:03 am

Yes, he does. His wife is rather tall however, as she would stand 5' 9" and he goes about 5' 8".

I totally agree with you about the safety factor.

There is a big difference in the angle of both shields, as the Tulsa Tall lays back more, compared to the more upright Cee Bailey. Have you got, or have access to an old OEM shield? That will give you a starting point as to the length of a new, more upright shield will work for you

Tulsa type shield ....

Typhon Tall shield (similar to a Tulsa Tall)

Same Typhon Tall shield cut down 5 1/2" ....

Stock OEM shield ....

CB - 2" shield .....

Hope this helps you in some small way

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:53 pm

The couple I bought my 1500 from had the Windbender installed when I bought it. They said that it improved passenger wind buffetting by a bunch. I found the recurve at the top was too distracting for my tastes,otherwise I liked the wind protection it offered. I am going to give it one more chance this spring on its lowest setting before putting it up for sale. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd

liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Postby liquineer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:24 pm

Can anyone enlightem as to why the Tulsa style shield is dangerous at night and in rain please. I have a shorter screen currently on my 1500, but it also came with a spare Tulsa screen from the previous owner, which I was going to put on this weekend as I get to much buffeting with the short screen. Don't want to make a mistake and find it is dangerous. I don't know what the shorter screen is by make.
Are we having fun yet?

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Any windshield can instantly fog up if the conditions are right, if you cant see over it then you cant see, same goes for rain on the screen at night car headlights reflect off the water droplets making it hard if not impossible to see. Its a motorcyle ,of course its going to be windy 8-)
Ride safe, Todd

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:01 pm

It doesn't matter how well you look after your windshield, it will end up with a lot of micro-swirls at best ... and most likely small scratches, from the road grit/stones etc, which refract light from oncoming headlights/streetlights/into the setting/rising sun, which severely limits your vision if you have to look through the screen, instead of over it.

Don't ride in rain, foggy conditions, or at night you say? :roll: :lol: You will get caught in any/all of those conditions, if you ride at all! Trust me! ;)

Dusty

wiredgeorge

Postby wiredgeorge » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:55 am

RoadRogue wrote:The couple I bought my 1500 from had the Windbender installed when I bought it. They said that it improved passenger wind buffetting by a bunch. I found the recurve at the top was too distracting for my tastes,otherwise I liked the wind protection it offered. I am going to give it one more chance this spring on its lowest setting before putting it up for sale. 8-)

If you have the urge to get rid of the Windbender NOW, drop me a note and I will give you a more than fair price for the thing.

As far as WHY looking through a windshield is dangerous... when I bought my trike, bringing it home from Alabama to Texas we rode after dark and oncoming headlights broke in the swirls and were very distracting. We had one morning when it was warmer and foggy and the inside of the shield kept misting over as well as the outside due to high humidity and the shield was IMPOSSIBLE to see through. In rain? You can buy various chemicals that will cause rain to run off but my experience with this stuff has been less than steller. I don't like to look through a shield at night in rain AND the dark when headlights hit the raindrops... I did this one year up in Colorado and I was driving almost blind. I wasn't tall enough to reach up over the top of that shield and push off the water. No way I can keep the Tulsa.
1997 GL1500SE Roadsmith
2002 Triumph America
Icebear 150cc trike

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks for the replies on the Tulsa screen- you can see I have not had a tall screen before- I will need to have a rethink now. I will probably go ahead and try it out on its lowest setting and see if I can see over it easily - won't put back the covers until I have checked it out. If it is not possible, I will put the shorter one back on.
Are we having fun yet?

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:27 am

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_flip_it_windshield/86/137207

So opinions from you regarding the flip it shield....it is a lower smoke shield with a second add on so I can adjust as I go. I got it because I needed a new one (always most obvious) and I like the smoke look of the wings with the beige color of the bike. I was thinking if I can keep good enough care of the top clear then I am doing pretty good.

Top height is 21.5 inch, so should be more than enough if needed.

And I agree with the other comment, nothing you can do when you are driving down the road and the shielf fogs up. There is a spot I go through near the lake here and in the spring/fall when it is 40-45 outside (or colder) it will always fog up.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:57 am

In an accident years ago five bones were broken in my face so I am happy looking through the Tulsa tall shield. Frequently apply rain-x to outer and inner and have only had 1 time that shield foged up, going through hollow at 35 degree. Scared the crap out of me as it only takes a second to cover and when it does it is inside and outside. Haven't had a chance to try yet , but hope this will defog and even help the face.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/ ... =WIG20001&

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:03 pm

That's an interesting add on heater- might look for one in the UK. Just to add to the comment about buffeting, I find the buffeting is very noticeable with the short screen, and I had the chance to ride for 4 hours a Yamaha 600 cc with a short screen also- I got constant strength wind direction from that, so that was why I especially noticed the buffeting when I next rode the wing. Of course I expect wind in the face on a motorcycle.
Are we having fun yet?

Valkwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL 1500 Aspencade
1989 Valkyrie

Postby Valkwing » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:37 pm

I have a 93 Aspencade(just bought). I'm 5'10 and with the shield in it's lowest position, I cannot look over it(preferred).
First question: Can the stock shield be cut? I have a valkyrie also and cut the aftermarket shield rather easily, but it was the right material. I can see over it with limited head buffeting......Hair doesn't move much:)
Second question: Speaking of head buffeting, the wind seems to swirl around, hitting me in the back of the head, actually pulling or blowing my hair forward on the Gwing. It's actually worse than the valk as I get virtually zero head buffeting on the Valk. Comments or suggestions as to why?
Last question: Does the height of the wind shield effect the passenger either positively or negatively? Seeing over the shield is a priority and is not an issue what so ever on the Valk, in terms of wind. However, that keeping the lady happy thing does apply:)

Note: both machines have baker wings with the Gwing having the additional lower wings under the footpegs. I get zero wind on the Gwing except for what feels as though it's coming from behind me(swirling). Cannot figure it out. The wing's shield is more quite more laid back than the valk's(more upright). I'm thinking the angle of the shield is causing the wind to rachet from behind.
If only the wing's shield angle was adjustable for testing. Again, appreciate the comments............

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:45 am

econd question: Speaking of head buffeting, the wind seems to swirl around, hitting me in the back of the head, actually pulling or blowing my hair forward on the Gwing.

Wear a helmet. :!: :D

You are probably familiar with an SUV. The wind acts the same way. The wind hits the windscreen, slides over the top, and then gets sucked back towards the front. This is because the air being pushed aside by the vehicle, gets sucked into the (partial) vacuum.

There are windscreens that seem to stand straighter or more angled, which allow for the wind to pass over you and your passenger, without ruffling too many feathers. However, it does not stop the wind whistling up your back, as that is also affected by the same phenomona of the wind whistling past you, as it has to go somewhere.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:38 am

Install a F4 standard on my bike. I guess its supposed to be same height as OEM? No sure about that because my bike come with a slipstreamer that was in bad shape. I am 5'-11" and have shield so its just below my site line. Its not in lowest position can go lower. If I sit normal I can see over shield and not have too much wind buffet or bugs colliding on head. I ride early morning with roosters to work and it foggy here many times so it good thing to see over shield. Sometimes if I follow dirty truck I tuck my head just slightly so dust storm doesnt get in the eyes.

I always wear a helmet so I'm not sure about the windswirl.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Valkwing
1989 Valkyrie

Postby Valkwing » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:59 pm

thanks so much for your input, it was helpful!

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:02 pm

I use a vented OEM screen, set to it's lowest position (at the moment), and I can see over it easily. I'm 6'1", long in the legs, and short in the torso.

As far as fighting buffeting is concerned, vents are important, because the windshield & fairing cause a high pressure zone to build up. The air behind the windshield, therefore, represents a substantial relative vacuum. As we know, "nature abhors a vacuum", so air rushes in to fill it - primarily from the sides & behind. A fairly large vent allows the pressure in front of & behind the screen to equalize, smoothing the flow of air around the front of the bike.

With an unvented OEM windscreen on my Concours, for example, the buffeting was like getting rabbit-punched in the head from both sides, alternately. I replaced the OEM screen with a vented Cee Bailey model, and most (but not all) of the buffeting disappeared.

My GL1500SE has the vented OEM windshield, and I'm thankful for it every day. My wife is a very frequent passenger, and has no trouble with buffeting. Of course, she's only 5'1", and has a heck of a wind block in front of her. Me!

While I doubt that you'll find ANY windscreen that is free from all buffeting, all the time, I'd strongly recommend that whatever you get, make sure it has a vent.

The only thing wrong with the OEM Honda vented windshield is that it has no bug screen (I've got to get busy & do that mod). Those wasps are seriously irate after banging their way through the vent en route to my face!!

Valkwing
1989 Valkyrie

Postby Valkwing » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Another helpful post, you know I appreciate it. Turns out, the windshield that came with my wing is real tall and leans back considerably. Relatively sure it's a Tulsa and I mean it's about 8" to tall! It did have a vent however, it was screwed shut. Apparently the person before had problems with it. I remounted it in the windshield after removing the screw that held the vent shut, opened the vent and took it for a ride:) You are right about the buffeting so again, your post was helpful.

Living in Michigan, heading up to the U.P. next week with the Valkyrie group. They are expecting me to be on my Valk. For a ride that long, I'm taking the Gwing. That thing is syrupy smooth! The Valk will out run it and is considerably lighter but not near as smooth in all facets(ride, seat, gear box, even the engine excelerates smoother). I thought the Valk was smooth and it is but with that cam in the valk, it's not quite as smooth as the Gwing. Just a tad more vibration...........Anyway, thanks again to all!
By the way, taking that big windshield off for something I can see over, likey a Cbailey or F4?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”