vacuum pipes????

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
byt
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500 in-a-state

vacuum pipes????

Postby byt » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:20 pm

I bought my 1500 after it had been crashed, stood up for a few years then part repaired, some damaged parts were replaced but sadly some were just removed and thrown away. it's been one hell of a puzzle working out what should go where etc and I'm pretty much there with the exception of a couple of large vacuum type pipes. they are larger in diameter than normal vac pipes, they run together behind the left hand side plastics, they both have a tee piece with a short pipe joining them together but I don't know where they should go. I've found them on an exploded diagram but it just shows them heading forward but doesn't show where they go. the part diagram labeled them as "tube air in" which doesn't help much. I have blocked them off temp and the engine runs fine but I would rather have them going where ever they should go if possible. the bike is a 1989 gl1500. any help would be great.

cheers
Cliff

rjohnson
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: vacuum pipes????

Postby rjohnson » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:17 am

These lines go to the shot air solenoid valve located under the left faring pocket.

byt

Postby byt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:14 am

I guess you mean air jet solenoids, if so they are under the right side and have all the pipes on them.these are on the other side.

rjohnson
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby rjohnson » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:05 pm

The air jet solenoids have the small 4.5 mm vacuum lines going to them. The larger lines go to the shot air solenoid under the left fairing.

byt

Postby byt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:43 pm

my mistake, I have no such solenoid so will start searching for some. thanks

byt

Postby byt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:17 pm

I have been informed that this air shot solenoid is the white plastic unit near the inlet manifold, if this is correct then I have this and at least one of the pipes I am trying to trace actually comes from that valve
this is the picture I was shown as the air shot solenoid, is this correct?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:54 pm

No. That's the air shot VALVE. There are two air shot solenoids, they are both located underneath the right side lower cowl, immediately to the rear of the right fairing storage pocket. If you pull the right fairing storage pocket out and look inside the fairing toward the rear of the bike, you will see them.

byt

Postby byt » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:54 pm

WingAdmin wrote:No. That's the air shot VALVE. There are two air shot solenoids, they are both located underneath the right side lower cowl, immediately to the rear of the right fairing storage pocket. If you pull the right fairing storage pocket out and look inside the fairing toward the rear of the bike, you will see them.

yep got them but the pipes are all on them as they should be so the two pipes I'm trying to trace don't go to them, I thought they were air jet solenoids? damn confusing all these pipes, valves and solenoids.

jlporter
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 in rebuild mode

Postby jlporter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:28 pm

The 88-89 tubing is different from 90-00. there are changes in the 95 vs 00. here is a diagram of the 88.

http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_section_detail.asp
The one you are missing is on the left side as you thought and is #43 listed as a valve. I have my 1500 tore down and I'm rebuilding it with several changes. the part you showed is item #26. It too is different from post 89 models.
The part you are missing I have left off on my rebuild as I have put post 90 carbs on and changed item #26 to post 89.
If you need this valve I have seen several on ebay. I'm keeping mine so if I want to go back to oem I can.
let me know if I can assist you further.
jerry

byt

Postby byt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:04 am

Now this could be interesting. While the bike was off the road the previous owner bought another set of carbs for it. I have no idea what year bike they came off and clearly he wasn't to clecer as he got many bits wrong including interstate clockes with no led panel etc. How can I tell if the carbs are correct or not? I am planning to pull it apart again in the next few weeks but need to get it weighed and tested so I can get the registration paperwork off to the authorities. They take about 2 months to get it sorted so I will have two weeks to pull it to bits and fix all the little problems.
Cheers
Cliff

jlporter

Postby jlporter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:01 am

Start at the carbs and work out. print the diagram of the different years from the site I sent you. you need tubing 1, tubing 2, water piping and solenoid. the reason you need water piping is Honda changed the piping with changes in carburation. the water pump was also changed. the carb upgrade did away with the altimeter valve. the large vacuum valve with three hoes coming out.
If the reed valves are still installed he probably did not remove the emission control system.
Do you have manuals? you will need those.
You will need to rely on those system diagrams and some logic.
let us know how it goes

byt

Postby byt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:41 am

I have a manual (haynes) which I find pretty rubbish. don't think he did much as he didn't even manage to get it running. I will give it a go and see what I can find out. will print off the pages fromt he site you sent and hopefully I will be able to work out what is and isn't there and if the carbs are the correct ones for the year.

cheers
Cliff

jlporter

Postby jlporter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:39 am

If the carbs are newer than 88-89 then they are a better built carb. The 88-89 have too small jets and you can't replace all the jets. That why I went to post 90 carbs. you would be better off with those. May want to rebuild the carbs why you are in there. Replace all the vacuum hoses and that is where it can get confussing and logic must guide you. The vacuum ports on the input manifold are different and you'll need to follow the diagrams in the book to figure out the best solution.
I used silicon hose but you can use most good quality hose. There are three different sizes and you can replace 90 degree turns with barb fittings. If you have post 90' carbs many of the flex hoses have been replaced with black rigid hose.

byt

Postby byt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:06 pm

well the good news is that I have located a solenoid on ebay and can see that it is similar to the ones on the other side with the only apparent difference is the color of the plug, green and red on the right and white on the left however today I had a look and could not see any where to plug the white plug in. I have spare green and red solenoids and was thinking I could alter the plug and use one of them on the left but with no sign of a plug to plug it in I am confused. anyone know where abouts on the loom the white plug plugs in? I have a black plug (4 wires) spare also a plug with a cover which I'm guessing would be the cb conector if it had one but no white two wire plug spare that I can find????

jlporter

Postby jlporter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:53 pm

The solenoid you are needing is the SA solenoid and it will have a 2 conductor blue special plug (special in that it has a rubber seal in the plug. It go to the blue connector on the left fairing sub wiring. Vacuum tubes 6 & 10 (items #21 & 13 in the link below (the solenoid is not shown in the link)) go to it and the tubes each have a tee and cross connect to each other. One tube goes to the decal and the other goes to an one way tee and then on to the intake manifold.
Don't have the diagram or I could give to the tube numbers. if you need I can get it.
The one way tee is specific - must be blue on left intake.

http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_secti ... veh=132572

byt

Postby byt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:29 pm

pipes etc are all intact so no worries there, below is a link to the solenoid I found that I thought was the one, I also found a set of three green, red and white plugs. will check the loom for a blue spare conector tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-1996-198 ... 2c6bede3a0

jlporter

Postby jlporter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:23 pm

I do not know if that solenoid will work or not - I would have to go to the book on that one. are there any other listed? you are looking for AS solenoid. the blue plug your looking for is on left up inside by the white plastic wire tie.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”