Buffeting

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Buffeting

Postby Sidcar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:33 am

To get a more comfortable riding position I've had to move my handlebars backwards. This is great as the more upright position eases the strain on my poor old back. However now my head is buffeted badly from the airflow round the screen, even at its highest setting.
The screen is new, a lexan copy of the original.
Any suggestions folks?

Sid

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Buffeting

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:52 am

F4+4 w/vent.
Also made of polycarbonate (lexan is GE's trade name!).
If you can wait a few months, I am told by one of the F4 owners, tinted shields will be available this spring!
http://www.f4customs.com/index.php

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks for the response. I did look at screens from your side of the pond as there is very little choice over here but to your purchase price and local tax and shipping costs UK Customs add twenty percent tax plus another £30 customs charges making those very desirable screens very expensive.
I've seen various add on deflectors are they any good?

Sid

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:58 am

Wider does help some, of course the speed your riding has a bearing on the effectiveness of deflectors that mount to the shield.
Baker mirror wings are a great help for a passenger and the upper/lower air wings are good. However, none of those help w/buffeting coming over the top of the shield. For that, you need a taller shield.

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:12 pm

Anyone used on of these devices that fit on top of the screen, www.aero-trim.com

Sid

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:30 pm

How tall are you? I look over the top of my visor and never feel buffeting. Are you wearing a helmet with a full faceshield? Can you tell where the air is coming from?
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm five ft 8 and wear a full face helmet.
It's hard to say if the air is more from one direction than another.
I can say that when my helmet visor is down there's a draft that blows up underneath it which I don't get normally.

Sid

TennX
Motorcycle: 97 GL 1500 Aspencade
06 VTX 1300R

Postby TennX » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Ive got a huge slipstream that came on my 1500 (hate it) I was getting some air from the sides, baker mirror mount air wings cured that..if the wind is coming over the top how about something like this. http://www.motorcycle.com/products/saen ... -3529.html good luck
Phil.......

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:10 pm

+1 on the baker hand wings

liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Postby liquineer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:45 am

Due to the buffeting I get at the moment, I was going to swap my windscreen for the taller Tulsa one that came as a spare with the bike- but was disturbed by the comments about night and rain visibility being poor because of not being able to see over the top of it.
I did start to dismantle the shorter windscreen in preparation for trying the Tulsa screen- and sure enough at it's lowest setting the Tulsa screen was tall enough to prevent my seeing over it, however, I realised the shorter screen was at it's lowest setting so I have raised it up to the highest point, I can still see over it, so I will give that a try and see if I get less buffeting. If that is not enough, I will put the Tulsa screen on and see if that is better- time will tell- won't have an answer any time soon as the weather is anything but good at the moment- very strong winds, snow and sleet at times, so will wait for a bit to try it out- will also look at Baker mirror deflectors as well- I have the lower fairing deflectors already.
Are we having fun yet?

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:56 am

I had buffeting on several cruisers I had but never on my Wing.....no matter what the shield height was. And that is a fact, get caught once in a good rain with that high windsheild and you'll have the hacksaw out pronto. Evidently you're feelin the wind come over the top of the shield because you keep pin pointing that. All the cruisers I had the buffeting came from under the handlebars up. It was like not having a windshield on the freeway. Only you can tell where you're getting the wind from, so start from there, good luck. If you solve the problem, post it, I sure would like to know how you solved it.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks for that- I am looking at the Baker wind deflectors for the mirrors- do you think that might help if it is coming under the handlebar area?
Are we having fun yet?

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Now granted I don't ride in zero weather (that's why I own a car with heated 'everything') but whenever it got cold i cold never find gloves that would keep my hands warm. With the wings I wear Light gloves and they never get cold. So I would have to say that for me, wherever the wind was coming from, it has stopped. Funny thing is in the summer I open them and I don't feel a great onslaught of air. So i'd have to say I don't know what they do, but they work.
My next windshield (if I ever need one) won't have a vent in it, for my height it hits me dead in the face and is irritating as heck. But then, some people love it. Height as in other things, 1" (either way) can make a difference....... :lol:

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Checked out the Baker deflectors- they will cost me more in postage to the UK than the items cost, and I can't find a supplier in the UK. Probably going to go with the ones that fit to the handelbar clutch and brake levers.
Are we having fun yet?

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:29 pm

out of curiosity, how much would the total come to (in american $). Canadian people always say shipping is high there too. So if nothing is manufactured for the Wing in the UK, how do you buy any parts you need for you bike?

Some things don't make sense. I wanted to buy a knife for 8.99 the next state ove and the shipping was 9.95 (that was their flat rate fee. I called them and the guy said buy 2 and the shipping will still only be 9.95 but will be less than the purchase... With logic like that I bought 4 and REALLY got a deal.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:39 am

There are a number of suppliers for Goldwing in the UK and Ireland, but the clip on mirrors were absent from their spares list. We don't have the choice of suppliers that you do, so sometimes have to order from the USA and take the oain of postage.

The Baker wind deflectors were $44.99 and postage was $53- as you can see not economic, I tried a number of places and although the price for the item was lowish, the delivery costs were not. We have a customs duty of 3% and Value added state tax of 20% on whatever comes in to the UK.
Are we having fun yet?

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:57 am

liquineer wrote:The Baker wind deflectors were $44.99 and postage was $53- as you can see not economic,

So $97 shipped to UK?
If ordered from their website, they're $76 shipped to California. So $10.50 per hand more to UK.

Weird. Just ran "ship to UK" for pricing on their site, and it seems there is NO shipping charge for that.....not no shipping, but a ship charge of $0.00!
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:20 am

Hey Steve, I just ran it too and that's what I got too. 0.00 shipping. I can't see how they eliminate all the taxes he was talking ablout, maybe they add all this once you go to check-out.

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/h15hw.html

If you're interested and can't do it yourself, I can call to see if that is right.

SteveB123

Postby SteveB123 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:30 am

Dogsled wrote:Hey Steve, I just ran it too and that's what I got too. 0.00 shipping. I can't see how they eliminate all the taxes he was talking ablout, maybe they add all this once you go to check-out.

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/h15hw.html

If you're interested and can't do it yourself, I can call to see if that is right.

They don't eliminate the taxes, they don't pay them. The end reciever does.
82 GL500 Silverwing

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:45 am

Yep, the girl at Baker said they don't even know what the add-on fees are because that's all done by pay pal after it leaves their hands.

They do work and would be worth it if it stopped your buffeting I guess. BUT, since you're not sure that that is the problem you may want to investigate solutions further.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks for everyone taking the trouble to follow through on the Baker Wings- I had missed that you could buy directly from them and went for a resellers site, which is where I got those figures from. In discussion with other Goldwing owners in the UK, it is often difficult to get the shipping and delivery figures acurately quoted and as well as customs and tax, there is often a charge for the internal UK delivery, and when that happens it has to be paid cash on demand (COD) from the postal service, before they will hand it over to you.
I did follow through to the PayPal payment option, and without pressing the pay now button through pay pal, it did still show the same figure, but converted in GBpounds without any additional charges added on for anything else. If I can confirm exactly what the total cost is with a delivery fee which must get applied somewhere-( I can't believe it would be free!) , then I may follow this though with Baker directly.
Are we having fun yet?

SteveB123

Postby SteveB123 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:17 pm

liquineer wrote: If I can confirm exactly what the total cost is with a delivery fee which must get applied somewhere-( I can't believe it would be free!) , then I may follow this though with Baker directly.

The village will be pleased. :D
82 GL500 Silverwing

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Is that reply from 'Steve FrankenWing' ????????????????????

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Honestly, he's gonna have to find out if his problem will be solved by the hand wings. Cost is not really a factor! If it solves it, money well spent, if not, money wasted....It's sorta like gettin married, only alot cheaper and easier to take the risk'....a hundred bucks is a reasonable risk if you factored in everything and found this to be a solution to your problem. Personally, I think it's not and would look further.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”